Recent Topics

Ads

[Ranked]Let's fix ranked games before they die.

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Cimba

Re: [Ranked]Let's fix ranked games before they die.

Post#131 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:50 pm

ufthakk wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:30 pm NO, i like equal opportunity. And to have equal opportunity in the future it shouldn't be suspended. The reason u doing pug city is to get loser reward i imagine.
Well everyone has the opportunity to form a group do a bunch of ranked and get that gear. Easy.

And about city: Not really. I did it for a long time with premade warbands. But then my dudes started farming contribution. Which I think is pretty dumb. So I didnt participate. Which meant I didnt get bags. Since bags are where you get your medals I didnt get anywhere. Now instead of winning 98% of cities with premade I win maybe around 70% as pzg. But the pugs dont have a clue what they are doing so I end up with tons of bags.
Works great on shaman/archmage because its so easy to top the healer charts. Still figuring out if its the way to go on zealot.

Ads
Fenris78

Post#132 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:04 pm

Cimba wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:48 pm Why does everything need to be accessible by just dumping enough time in it. Regardless of your effort/performance?
And its not like you need only top players. Currently you can face groups with vastly different skill level if you talk to the guys and girls.
I never wanted things to be accessible with time only, but since you can get pretty much everything in the game with time only, it should make sense ranked not being the exception here.

But I talked (plenty) about how to reward effort and performance, just read my previous posts about it ;).

Basically you have effort done by grouping with adequate teammates (again, see the pop and amount of casuals to be sure it takes efforts when you are not in a hardcore guild), and about performance it's about how you managed the match, in summary :
- getting obliterated in the first minutes = no mmr gain, but not much gain either for the winners (no glory, few reward),
- but if you battled for the whole 10 min and managed well, be it a close loss or win with one kill on the last minutes = good match, both sides should be rewarded with mmr progress, and not penalized as if they lost badly.

Does that sound too unreasonable ? People always think we want everything now and without time/effort ?
I'm actually suggesting a middle ground here, where casuals and hardcore could have real incentives, instead of bottlenecking rewards behind hardcore play, wich only concerns about 20 people around here, and is by no way a healthy way to engage a consequent part of the community into competitive matches.

If nobody want to fight on the long run, no matches for anyone. Its as simple as that.

Another way to go could be, IF you want to keep the current 1k mmr entry barrier :
- from 0 to 1k, you could not lose mmr (ie. a severe loss could be zero mmr gain, but no penalty)
- from 1k to 3500, you now can alter your mmr, the lower limit being now 1k (or maybe a bit less, dunno).

Now you got a system that will incentivize people to continue the matches, knowing they will go to the base to start collecting insignas.
You give people enough time to strenghten themselves with proper gear and knowledge for the first X matches, then you can start to divide players by mmr rank to balance a bit.
Insignas will still require to win, so people will actually fight for, but since after some time they know their rank is assured, they have less pressure about loss, and will still queue instead of just leaving.
Its win-win for everyone, and could ensure perennity of the game mode in the long term.

Kpi

Post#133 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:15 pm

Only few people play ranked because they like it... the people play ranked because they want the equipment. This is why ranked is dead.

I thank the developers for their effort, but very few people play ranked for fun
Spoiler:
Kpihuss -- WP 88
Kpithrogrim -- IB 83
Kpigaragrim -- Slayer 81
Kpikossar -- SW 77
Kpirmedes -- RP 68+
Kpiboris -- KOTBS 65+

ufthakk
Suspended

Post#134 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:18 am

Cimba wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:50 pm
Well everyone has the opportunity to form a group do a bunch of ranked and get that gear. Easy.
Well i could log on order healer and get carried by 2x slayer. EASY.

oaliaen

Post#135 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:00 am

@Devs can i report someone being toxic based on discord comments?

derKriebel

Post#136 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:26 am

dead

skylinx

Post#137 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:49 am

Quick Q

Is solo ranked actually working atm?

I dont see many people in the queue but, sometimes, in EU primetime there might be 15-16 ppl in the queue but i dont see any active matches? I have seen the odd group ranked but i thought it was supposed to force solo q matches after a long in time queue?

Kaeldrick

Post#138 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:13 am

Working as intended. Almost nobody plays them, that's all. People joined RoR for large scale in the first place with their WAR nostalgy, those never wanted ranked SC knowing that they can't exist at same time as large scale :
- both are time consuming
- both require organisation and commitement

People just can't do all that and have a real life too.

Ads
Caduceus

Post#139 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:22 am

Kaeldrick wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:13 am
Working as intended. Almost nobody plays them, that's all.

Hundreds of people have tried Ranked. (There's over 1,500 seperate characters who have matches played)

The interest was there. The system did not provide an acceptable experience.
"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream; that's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving." - Colonel Walter E. Kurtz

Brakh

Post#140 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:03 am

Caduceus wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:22 am

Hundreds of people have tried Ranked. (There's over 1,500 seperate characters who have matches played)

The interest was there. The system did not provide an acceptable experience.
They tried it because this was something new. Despite this is a pvp game, most of the playerbase is not interested in hard competitive gameplay. This game has no conditions to introduce such a niche system due to its low population.