Recent Topics

Ads

Resetting keep timer by hitting siege weapons

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
meatcpu

Resetting keep timer by hitting siege weapons

Post#1 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:01 pm

I was in KV earlier and there was some discussion about whether or not hitting a siege weapon to reset the keep timer was by design, or a punishable exploit.

What is the official position on this feature?
Last edited by meatcpu on Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ads
wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Re: Resetting keep timer by hitting siege weapons

Post#2 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:41 am

This is a stupid loophole (one person can reset a defense timer) that people expect GM's to "do something about", but we probably won't unless we're specifically online and observing this behavior in the moment and we see something actually exploitative being done. The last couple instances that we investigated over this behavior it was people sitting around AFK at a keep while one guy stealthed in and reset the timer by hitting a siege weapon. No one was on the walls or near the posterns to prevent it.

Defend your keep properly or move on without the defense tick. There's a main gate and two posterns where stealthers can get in. Stacking initiative and posting up at these locations will help detect them. Stealth doesn't block mines/daemons from going off. Stealth doesn't prevent PvP collision.

The loophole is unlikely to be changed any time soon as development focus is elsewhere, and to some degree if you're barely paying attention to a defense, it's not much of a defense anyway.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

Toshutkidup

Post#3 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:20 am

wargrimnir wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:41 am This is a stupid loophole (one person can reset a defense timer) that people expect GM's to "do something about", but we probably won't unless we're specifically online and observing this behavior in the moment and we see something actually exploitative being done. The last couple instances that we investigated over this behavior it was people sitting around AFK at a keep while one guy stealthed in and reset the timer by hitting a siege weapon. No one was on the walls or near the posterns to prevent it.

Defend your keep properly or move on without the defense tick. There's a main gate and two posterns where stealthers can get in. Stacking initiative and posting up at these locations will help detect them. Stealth doesn't block mines/daemons from going off. Stealth doesn't prevent PvP collision.

The loophole is unlikely to be changed any time soon as development focus is elsewhere, and to some degree if you're barely paying attention to a defense, it's not much of a defense anyway.
Does this include the 2 videos I submitted to a GM who was in game at the time while I was streaming and notifying this GM as it happened multiple times ??

And I also have when someone logged out of game knowing attackers would lose near a siege then 8 min later logged in swung once to hit equipment as he was punted off the wall.
First RR90 Slayer working towards the top of the mountain.I still solo, still run riposte.

Twitch:https://www.twitch.tv/toshutkidup
My Youtube http://www.youtube.com/c/Toshutkidup

warlover

Post#4 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:04 pm

wargrimnir wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:41 am This is a stupid loophole (one person can reset a defense timer) that people expect GM's to "do something about", but we probably won't unless we're specifically online and observing this behavior in the moment and we see something actually exploitative being done. The last couple instances that we investigated over this behavior it was people sitting around AFK at a keep while one guy stealthed in and reset the timer by hitting a siege weapon. No one was on the walls or near the posterns to prevent it.

Whenever someone does get the time to work on it, i would make all cannons on wall die when Lord goes down.

Kaeldrick

Post#5 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:11 pm

Toshutkidup wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:20 am

Does this include the 2 videos I submitted to a GM who was in game at the time while I was streaming and notifying this GM as it happened multiple times ??

And I also have when someone logged out of game knowing attackers would lose near a siege then 8 min later logged in swung once to hit equipment as he was punted off the wall.
Indeed, any player can logoff/login and reset timers. When he's offline : no collision and no stealth detection can apply but appearently it's allowed, from what head GM is saying there.

meatcpu

Post#6 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:46 pm

Okay. So if I'm reading correctly "attacking an undefended siege weapon is not a punishable offense." Logging to avoid detection however may be properly considered an exploit.

The take away being: Don't destroy guns on entry as this is not disallowed. Move yours inside. Guard those that remain.

GamesBond
Former Staff

Post#7 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:13 pm

Kaeldrick wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:11 pm
Spoiler:
Toshutkidup wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:20 am

Indeed, any player can logoff/login and reset timers. When he's offline : no collision and no stealth detection can apply but appearently it's allowed, from what head GM is saying there.
Correct me if I am wrong but you can guard the lord room and add traps no? All it takes is one hit and the intruder cannot logout anymore without being instantly killed. They will surely be able to tag the lord once cause nobody would have been ready, but afterwards it should be defendable. It's not like they're hacking, they're just playing the system and it doesn't happen often. After all nobody can log out safely while in combat, and nobody can login safely at the same spot if there were defenders available (considering that logging in puts the character in the world while the player is still on the loading screen).

The team does not incentivize such actions so it's not really 'approved', it's just not against any obvious rule to safely log out and log in.

neupWAR

Post#8 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:33 pm

GamesBond wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:13 pm
Correct me if I am wrong but you can guard the lord room and add traps no? All it takes is one hit and the intruder cannot logout anymore without being instantly killed. They will surely be able to tag the lord once cause nobody would have been ready, but afterwards it should be defendable. It's not like they're hacking, they're just playing the system and it doesn't happen often. After all nobody can log out safely while in combat, and nobody can login safely at the same spot if there were defenders available (considering that logging in puts the character in the world while the player is still on the loading screen).

The team does not incentivize such actions so it's not really 'approved', it's just not against any obvious rule to safely log out and log in.
The problem is the hitting siege weapons on the walls which is resetting the timer. Logging in and out on outer wall near to siege and and hitting them and not the lord.

Ads
GamesBond
Former Staff

Post#9 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:47 pm

neupWAR wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:33 pm
Spoiler:

The problem is the hitting siege weapons on the walls which is resetting the timer. Logging in and out on outer wall near to siege and and hitting them and not the lord.
Right. For some reason I mistakenly thought that he meant the lord - nevertheless I'll forward this to the developers but as Wargrimnir mentioned, if it's one that rarely occurs and needs a tremendous time to fix, it will most likely be postponed due to the current focus of the developers.

Toshutkidup

Post#10 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:02 pm

GamesBond wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:47 pm
neupWAR wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:33 pm
Spoiler:

Right. For some reason I mistakenly thought that he meant the lord - nevertheless I'll forward this to the developers but as Wargrimnir mentioned, if it's one that rarely occurs and needs a tremendous time to fix, it will most likely be postponed due to the current focus of the developers.
Its a daily issue once it was discovered almost 2 weeks ago.
First RR90 Slayer working towards the top of the mountain.I still solo, still run riposte.

Twitch:https://www.twitch.tv/toshutkidup
My Youtube http://www.youtube.com/c/Toshutkidup