Recent Topics

Ads

Taunt Suggestion for Shield-Wearing Tanks Only

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Eeshen

Taunt Suggestion for Shield-Wearing Tanks Only

Post#1 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:52 pm

One of the mechanics I enjoyed from Everquest2 pvp were that taunts in PvP caused the enemy target to be forced to target the tank for 2-3 secs.
Right now, I'm finding there is no incentive for shield wearing tanks in Ranked SC and I have no desire to be a 2H tank (seems counter-intuitive).

My suggestion: Taunts for tanks using a shield also causes the enemy target(s) to be forced to target the tank for X number of seconds. Taunts can then be a clutch "save a groupmember skill" when the group member is getting focused targeted and burned down.
The "force to change target" portion of the taunt would also be subject to diminishing returns like other CC are.

I believe this would open up different options for tank players who enjoy using shields but also want to participate in high level ranked SC and other areas.

Thank you

Ads
NSKaneda

Re: Taunt Suggestion for Shield-Wearing Tanks Only

Post#2 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:25 pm

Currently taunt forces target enemy player to target tank / taunting pet - and with proximity targeting or tab cycle it takes 1-2 seconds get back to initial target. Same with mouse targetting - it takes 1-2 seconds to select and click.

Preventing players from switching targets will result in chain-taunting and thus shutting down enemy dps.

As you can tell, I'm not sold on this idea...
RoR: Burszui SH, Ropopuch SHM<|[]|>Ginnar IB, Vidarr HMR, Runatyr RP ++ REV guild ++
Live: Karak Izor -> Karak Norn - Yarpaen IB, Ginnarr SL, Volundr ENG +Ithilmar's Chosen+
* * * playing 19 classes - running out of char slots * * *

Eeshen

Post#3 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:37 pm

Regarding your concern of "chain-taunting".....

This does not happen in EQ2 because of diminishing returns.....you effectively become immune to the "force to changed target" portion of taunt if you are chain- taunted by multiple tanks. Therefore, you could not do chain-taunting, just like you can't chain stun for an extended duration of time.

"Forced to change targets" becomes labeled as another form of CC, subject to diminishing returns, as I somewhat mentioned below. Therefore, your concern, although valid, would not happen.

Thanks for your feedback

NSKaneda

Post#4 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:40 pm

Putting timer on being taunted (being forced to switch targets)... Would that include detaunts as well to balance it out? I'm really curious, this idea would be revolutionary in it's consequences to how fights play out and how long they'd last for.
RoR: Burszui SH, Ropopuch SHM<|[]|>Ginnar IB, Vidarr HMR, Runatyr RP ++ REV guild ++
Live: Karak Izor -> Karak Norn - Yarpaen IB, Ginnarr SL, Volundr ENG +Ithilmar's Chosen+

NSKaneda

Post#5 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:57 pm

Let's play this out:
player1 guards player2

player3 attacks player2.

player1 taunts player3.

player3 switches target to player1 for 3 seconds and becomes immune to "target swap" portion for 30 seconds (same as all other immunities in game rn).

player2 either runs away or joins tank in dealing punishment.

player1 cooldown on taunt runs out and he cannot use it to force player3 to lay off player 2. Another tank can do this however and will grant new immunity to player3 OR player3 will ignore target swap portion... This will make taunt usable every 30s (for tactical portion of it, not +damage) and make dps life way, way easier at the cost of 3s "forced to target tank" window (+1 second compared to current state, even /assist takes at least 1s) at the beginning.

I'm sure I'm not seeing something :/
Last edited by NSKaneda on Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eeshen

Post#6 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:59 pm

All I am familiar with is how Everquest2 uses detaunts and taunts. Detaunts cause anyone targeting them to drop them as target, but there is no timer on that....you can quickly retarget that person....but it does mess enemy players up, so it is somewhat effective.

Any skills in PvE which lower threat are detaunts (drop targets) in PvP.

However, even if they use a detaunt on a tank, it would just cause the tank to drop their target but would not affect the person using the detaunt if they were taunted by the tank.

Of all the MMO pvp experiences I've had as a person who loves playing tanks....the way EQ2 (Everquest2) does it, is of my favorite iterations of tank usage in pvp.

I love using a shield as a tank....makes me feel like Im a real tank. When I found out that SnB tanks are not useful in Ranked, I quickly lost interest in the game.

So this suggestion is to help SnB players like myself, without taking away from players who like being 2H tanks, in hopes that SnB becomes viable even in small scale pvp.

NSKaneda

Post#7 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:02 pm

Ok, I see where you're coming from. I am intrigued to say the least, let's hear from others :)

Eeshen

Post#8 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:04 pm

Player3 becomes immune to all force-target-swaps from all sources during immunity duration. Although 30 secs immunity seems a long time.....I admit I dont know the specifics of CC immunities in WAR.
Maybe something like 2x or 3x the taunt duration (force swapped duration) a person becomes immune

Ads
Eeshen

Post#9 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:06 pm

WoW has a great formula for calculating CC diminishing returns.

https://www.wowhead.com/crowd-control-d ... ns-wow-pvp

Omegus

Post#10 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:54 pm

Is it even possible to force the client to set/drop targets?

edit: actually with assist/aid it must be partially possible.
Zomega: RR8x Zealot