Recent Topics

Ads

Taunt Suggestion for Shield-Wearing Tanks Only

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
BluIzLucky

Re: Taunt Suggestion for Shield-Wearing Tanks Only

Post#11 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:37 pm

Not against your suggestion, but you talk as if SnB tanks are less preferable in small scale and especially ranked, because they lack tools to keep players alive.. You have challenge, morales, knock downs, punts, absorbs, damage and stat reducing abilities, making taunt more useful in SnB adds just one more tool out of many.
The general reason you go 2H in ranked is you need to help burst in a short window of time.
And small scale doesn't need the survivability of tanky SnB, so again most tanks prefer to leave shield behind and do some big boy numbers.
SM - Arhalien +80 | AM - Shaheena +80
ZL - Wildera +70 | BG - Blackcrow +70

Ads
Eeshen

Post#12 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:57 pm

Dont forget that taunts work on healers too on single target healing. So if DPS trying to burst people down, taunting a healer to stop healing can also be clutch

Eeshen

Post#13 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:58 pm

Ultimately, I’m just looking for someway to support SnB tanks to be in ranked.
This was just one idea.

tazdingo

Post#14 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:11 pm

Eeshen wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:57 pm Dont forget that taunts work on healers too on single target healing. So if DPS trying to burst people down, taunting a healer to stop healing can also be clutch
wouldn't this just cause the healer to swap their primary target and not their secondary? (person they're healing)

zulnam

Post#15 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:28 pm

Right.

Wanna say that the idea is not bad per say. I don't really believe in it, but i see where you're coming from.

That said, even if development resources weren't so scarce it makes the spice from Dune look like Coca Cola by comparison, there are the following things to take into account:

- ror is a team game in which an ideal, core gameplay, team is formed out of 24 people; smallscale comes as a side activity;
- all tanks have a 50% aoe dmg reduction debuff that lasts 15seconds or as long as the target doesn't hit you for 3 seconds > Challenge;
- tanks also has a 50% aoe dmg reduction that lasts 10 sec and can be used (at most) once per minute > M2 Bellows;
- tanks Taunt interrupts all abilities being cast;
- all of the above have a medium range, up to 65 feet;
- most dps have aoe attacks that work in a cone, 360 degrees or need to be literally targeted on the terrain to work (think BW Rain of Fire).

So not only would this target lock be absurd for many of us (you said you saw it in EQ2; i believe you, but i myself have never experienced it), it would have an absurdly long range unless it would also be nerfed at the same time by lowering range (no more 65 feet interrupt), it would not address much since most meta dps is aoe that doesn't even need target to do their damage in the first place. Meaning what would happen is ST specs would be replaced by aoe even in 6v6 situations. :lol:

Basically, a lot of work to change very little that's of importance. Like making a website compatible with Internet Explorer.

Honestly, I would recommend checking out IB. The class has so many ST buffs that i believe it might work in smallscale even with snb, if you tweak it enough. You might even discover some new crazy meta for smallscale that no one considered. Remember a bit over 1 year ago ST group was something super dodgy, done only when you knew you had PERFECT AND ULTIMATE TOP ST DPS PLAYERS COMBO. Now some city groups take two, off the "streets" (lfg channel, no inspect, no rep).
SW, Kotbs, IB, Slayer, WP, WL, SM, Mara, SH, BG

Evilspinnre

Post#16 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:09 pm

No thank you. There are enough "oh ****" options in game, and TTK is already high enough. If you don't want to go 2h for ranked, maybe it's not for you.
Evilspinnre - Nightmare/Daydream - Xrealmers Anonymous
80+ AM, WL, WP, BW, SL, SM, 50+ RP, SW, IB
80+ BG, Sorc, WE, Mara, Choppa, SH, 60+ Zeal, Shaman, Blork
https://www.youtube.com/user/EvilspinnrePvP
https://www.twitch.tv/evilspinnrepvp

BluIzLucky

Post#17 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:58 am

2H is just the preferred option, you can go SnB with all tanks in ranked. The only tank I haven't seen go SnB is Chosen. It is your MMR, if you want to have fun being a turtle that can tank a warband when there's only 2 dps in ranked, you do that. SnB brings plenty win conditions, but just relies more on DD to finish the job.

For example, specced and geared right SnB SM gains good ST punt and a lot of utility and dmg reduction, but looses +40% dmg vs 2H.
Same goes for other tanks, there's some upsides and some downsides.

Caduceus

Post#18 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:13 am

Killing players in organized 6v6 is hard enough as is. I would sooner think of ways to make it easier honestly.

2H for 6v6, S&B for warbands, I don't see an issue here.
"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream; that's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving." - Colonel Walter E. Kurtz

Ads
Phantasm

Post#19 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:21 am

Omegus wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:54 pm Is it even possible to force the client to set/drop targets?

edit: actually with assist/aid it must be partially possible.
One of CNT heroes can do that. The rat in Tunnels.

BluIzLucky

Post#20 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:10 am

Caduceus wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:13 am Killing players in organized 6v6 is hard enough as is. I would sooner think of ways to make it easier honestly.

2H for 6v6, S&B for warbands, I don't see an issue here.
Yep, why not make taunt 50% dmg and only direct hits (not parried/blocked), not gonna help SnB much but will probably force a target change for DPS :P
Poor healers..