Recent Topics

Ads

What I think Return of Reckoning is getting wrong... (lately)

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
don775

Re: What I think Return of Reckoning is getting wrong... (lately)

Post#21 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:34 pm

Sulorie wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:06 pm
abezverkhiy wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:44 pm Oh yeah... And one more thing. Making decisions that cut player base in half is an example of something that should not be done. Summer is over and numbers are not coming back.
You are aware, that there was a recent new mmo release? It's the same with every new mmo to come.
Most of the players here are +30 and many with kids, super casual gamers.

Ads
wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#22 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:28 pm

don775 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:34 pm
abezverkhiy wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:44 pm Oh yeah... And one more thing. Making decisions that cut player base in half is an example of something that should not be done. Summer is over and numbers are not coming back.
You are aware, that there was a recent new mmo release? It's the same with every new mmo to come.
This is by all accounts a rather hardcore RvR game that relies heavily on coordinated groups to be successful. I've never had much "super casual" vibe from anyone that sticks around long term. What super casuals are going to flock to however is the latest MMO to be released so they can feel like part of a big something without having to invest all that icky hardcore time and socialization with peers. Like every major MMO launch they will peak insanely high, and hundreds of thousands will bleed off over the first couple months destroying established guilds in the process, the majority of those will disintegrate or the leaders will merge with other leaders, cause guild drama and push out more people in the process. MMO's are really problematic when they're not built up and sustained for the long term. Funny thing innit. Casuals ruin MMO's, don't let them convince you otherwise.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

Toggle

Post#23 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:17 pm

wargrimnir wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:28 pm
don775 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:34 pm
This is by all accounts a rather hardcore RvR game that relies heavily on coordinated groups to be successful. I've never had much "super casual" vibe from anyone that sticks around long term. What super casuals are going to flock to however is the latest MMO to be released so they can feel like part of a big something without having to invest all that icky hardcore time and socialization with peers. Like every major MMO launch they will peak insanely high, and hundreds of thousands will bleed off over the first couple months destroying established guilds in the process, the majority of those will disintegrate or the leaders will merge with other leaders, cause guild drama and push out more people in the process. MMO's are really problematic when they're not built up and sustained for the long term. Funny thing innit. Casuals ruin MMO's, don't let them convince you otherwise.
I’m a super casual, and I still play here. No plans on “flocking” to anything new. I don’t have time to learn a whole new game/system. I think the assessment that RoR has quite a few and appeals to casuals, because it’s a game you can pick up and put down at will, is a sound assessment. But what do I know? I’m just a filthy, MMO ruining super casual…
Shaman - 40/8X
Zealot - 40/8X [Retired]
AM - 40/8X
RP - 40/7X [Retired]

abezverkhiy

Post#24 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:40 pm

Lol now we put blame on casuals. Of course who else? They abandoned this RvR game and got attracted by a PVE MMO remake that they all explored fully 10+ years ago. And now they all ran to spend dollars on it again. Yeah, right.

And I am also a very casual player and always have been. And being friendly to casuals is the thing that always appeals me in this game.
KingSchultz WH, Valknutt WP, Glendhu ENG, Lochdhu IB, Tamdhu SL

My WH guide: viewtopic.php?t=46354

Elemint

Post#25 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:45 pm

Isn't this game particularly brutal to casuals tho? Sure it's pick up and go, but i get the feeling casuals and especially new players are target practice

Toggle

Post#26 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:15 pm

Elemint wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:45 pm Isn't this game particularly brutal to casuals tho? Sure it's pick up and go, but i get the feeling casuals and especially new players are target practice
I guess that would depend on how you define a casual. For me, casual denotes an individual that doesn’t no-life a game. But that doesn’t preclude them from being knowledgeable about the game and good at that classes they choose to play. I’ll use myself as an example. If I no-lifed this, I’m sure I could be a decent to better than decent mDPS, but I don’t. So, I stick to what I know and play well. I’m a decent zealot/RP, but I discovered that I was stuck whenever an organized wasn’t running. Sure, I could sit and spam /5 trying to find one, but I only play 2 hours or so a day. Instead, I found a class that was decent as heals in organized groups but could also hold their own roaming solo - shammy/AM. I can play solo and feel rewarded with a kill (big RR), surf the Zerg and leech RE, or I can play in a 6/12/24 and feel rewarded when the larger group plays well and I heal well.

Bottom line - there is plenty of enjoyment to be had in this game as a casual, if you do a little experimentation to see where you best fit in with the time you can play, your play style, and your personal preferences.

It’s also my personal opinion that the casuals are what keep this game going. In my relatively short time here, I’ve seen plenty of the try hard no-lifers come in, run groups all day for weeks/months/years, get burnt out, and disappear. Some come back, but most don’t.
Shaman - 40/8X
Zealot - 40/8X [Retired]
AM - 40/8X
RP - 40/7X [Retired]

ufthakk
Suspended

Post#27 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:49 pm

wargrimnir wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:28 pm
Casuals ruin MMO's, don't let them convince you otherwise.
Your personal opinion or are you speaking for the entire RoR team?

abezverkhiy

Post#28 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:50 pm

Elemint wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:45 pm Isn't this game particularly brutal to casuals tho? Sure it's pick up and go, but i get the feeling casuals and especially new players are target practice
Look, the difference between casuals in this game and other games is that casuals progress slower. Casuals in WoW couldn't expect any decent gear for instance because of high raiding requirements, dkp etc. Casuals here have their chances to get good gear without giving up being casual players.

But casual player=/= new player. You have to do initial levelling and initial gearing up before you have chances to compete with more experienced players. And this is common for every mmo.

Ads
ufthakk
Suspended

Post#29 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:04 pm

abezverkhiy wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:50 pm
Look, the difference between casuals in this game and other games is that casuals progress slower. Casuals in WoW couldn't expect any decent gear for instance because of high raiding requirements, dkp etc. Casuals here have their chances to get good gear without giving up being casual players.

But casual player=/= new player. You have to do initial levelling and initial gearing up before you have chances to compete with more experienced players. And this is common for every mmo.
Other mmo's are pve focused. Gear gap = bad fights.

abezverkhiy

Post#30 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:22 pm

You still need some 'adult' gear. Vanq+ for dps, conq for tanks/healers to perform even in RvR. Bolster is nice but it doesn't solve all the issues
Last edited by abezverkhiy on Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.