Recent Topics

Ads

A few suggestions concerning the Tome of Knowledge

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Caduceus

A few suggestions concerning the Tome of Knowledge

Post#1 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:24 am

Hello everyone,

The Tome of Knowledge is a part of Return of Reckoning which I have always enjoyed a lot.
It has been one of those aspects of the game that has slowly grown over time, and thanks to the developers' hard work it keeps getting better and better.

Recently, some thoughts popped into my head about some tweaks that could make the Tome of Knowledge more engaging.

1. Every race has a page in the Bestiary with Tome unlocks associated with it. What I have noticed is that the achievements for "Kill X High Elves" or "Kill X Greenskins" are only advanced through kills on NPCs, and not players! Given the emphasis of Return of Reckoning on player versus player combat, I think it would be a neat change to make these achievements also unlockable through PvP kills. The rewards are some pretty snazzy medals, and I think they would also offer some added feeling of progression as players play the game.

Every race's Bestiary page already includes a counter with all kills on players and NPCs from that specific race, however it is not used for the unlocks under their respective categories.

2. With the implementation of the Greenskin and Dwarf capital cities (Congratulations and big thanks to the developer team for that!) a lot of quests have been added to the game. I've noticed in myself, my friends and within my guild a renewed interest in questing, the snippets of lore they reveal and the interesting rewards they sometimes give. Perhaps now would be an ideal time to implement the Tome entries, trophies and titles associated with completing quests.

3. My guild likes to organize chicken warbands in T1 RvR every once in a while. For a time, we pursued these glorious achievements associated with Fowl, only to learn that they hadn't been implemented yet. Still, these events are lots of fun and the prospect of getting unique unlocks makes it more appealing. Perhaps other guilds will also catch on? I always thought it was a funny "running gag" in Return of Reckoning.

4. I have noticed the "Brags" system is not very well-known under the RoR playerbase. I've made several attempts at spreading awareness of this fun feature, but I think a loading menu tip could be a great idea to spread the word. The one I used in a PSA thread I made for it was: "It is possible to assign brags by right-clicking entries in your Tome of Knowledge. These are then visible to you and others (upon inspection) in the "Brags" tab on your character window!"

Thank you for your time, and for all your efforts. I hope you will take some of these suggestions into consideration.

- Caduceus
"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream; that's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving." - Colonel Walter E. Kurtz

Ads
meatcpu

Re: A few suggestions concerning the Tome of Knowledge

Post#2 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:35 am

This kind of stuff adds a lot of depth to the game and appeals to a really dedicated portion of the playerbase, the folks who love the lore and the game enough to get 10000+ kills of various mobs and then brag about it. Any feature that gives vets a reason to stick around is a positive.

May 4 is chicken appreciation day and a yearly realm wide chicken battle would be pretty unforgettable. :D

aryvandaar

Post#3 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:01 pm

I thought it already counted player kills, but since it doesn't, it would be a cool feature to see in the game.

Skullgrin

Post#4 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:26 pm

It does track PvP kills, if I remember correctly they are listed under each class in the bestiary section. I'll check tonight when I get home and give an update here. It definitely tracks overall PvP kills too, I received the title 'The Berserker' a while back for 100,000 PvP kills and your kill count is listed on the main page of the ToK.

Edit: Update - Individual class kills are tracked in the Bestiary section on the ToK, click on the race and then on the next page it has listings for each PC class along with the listings for NPC mobs. They evidently weren't turned on from the very start of the server tho, as I have only 2k-4k kills on each of the classes but have over 125k PvP kills listed on the ToK main page.
Last edited by Skullgrin on Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thargrimm - Chosen 40/88
Thargrimmm - Ironbreaker 40/80

abezverkhiy

Post#5 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:30 pm

Wasn't bragging disabled long time ago? Or am I missing anything?
KingSchultz WH, Valknutt WP, Glendhu ENG, Lochdhu IB, Tamdhu SL

My WH guide: viewtopic.php?t=46354

Skullgrin

Post#6 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:35 pm

abezverkhiy wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:30 pm Wasn't bragging disabled long time ago? Or am I missing anything?

They reactivated it a while back. So brag away! :D
Thargrimm - Chosen 40/88
Thargrimmm - Ironbreaker 40/80

abezverkhiy

Post#7 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:39 pm

Thanks! Good to know!
KingSchultz WH, Valknutt WP, Glendhu ENG, Lochdhu IB, Tamdhu SL

My WH guide: viewtopic.php?t=46354