Recent Topics

Ads

The alienation of solo/pug/casual players and it's unintended side-effects

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Skullgrin

Re: The alienation of solo/pug/casual players and it's unintended side-effects

Post#71 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:16 pm

TreefAM wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:11 pm Good, killing solo players is my favorite since I KNOW they will write about it in their blogs

People are keeping blogs?!? Links please... :D
Thargrimm - Chosen 40/88
Thargrimmm - Ironbreaker 40/80

Ads
DaWolf

Post#72 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:50 pm

Skullgrin wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:16 pm
TreefAM wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:11 pm Good, killing solo players is my favorite since I KNOW they will write about it in their blogs

Link or it didn't happen :p

tomato

Post#73 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:11 pm

Any ranked wintraders?

Skullgrin

Post#74 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:24 pm

DaWolf wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:50 pm
Skullgrin wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:16 pm

Link or it didn't happen :p

I could call it "Thargrimm's War Journal" and parody the Punisher comics, and write it really angsty, and make fun of everyone in game, and, and... nah, that sounds like too much work...
Thargrimm - Chosen 40/88
Thargrimmm - Ironbreaker 40/80

penagos22

Post#75 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:57 pm

BeautfulToad wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:10 pm
Satirico wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:05 pm I did not know about this. I stayed some time away from RoR. But that was the most stupid idea they could have in the whole server history. And it's clear now that this idea didn't work.

I can understand it, people blame way too much on "balance", when organisation, group composition and sheer numbers explain a lot of victories. Balance discussions are nearly always toxic.

I can't think of any game I play where balance is taken as seriously by devs as this one.
I think this is an important point and I want to clarify that I love the devs for the effort and dedication they put into developing the game. But I think one of the points that does not allow the server to grow, people find a server with custom classes and unfortunately, the balance has been oriented towards deciding that the healers are only healers, the tanks only tank and the dps are viable in the specs of damage in area leaving irrelevant any other way of doing damage, which is a shame because of 72 specs, only 24 or less are viable, for example the person who comes to play a chosen dps (or whoever wants to play to the old wp grace, he will find something that is not healer, nor is it dps nor is it a tank) he will get frustrated and will go away. I've gotten tired of reading many purists saying that heals can't dps and tanks can't either, but because in wow the paladin dps does good damage, the paladin heal does good heal etc, so the devs trying to fix the situation opt for doing reworks that sometimes don't work very well. and clearly mithic's class desing allowed for variety.

for example people complain that the kobts is a boring class, but this is because in the original design the kobts could only have an aura at the time which forced this according to its specialization and the situation to shout orders (that's why skills have those names).

one of the fun things about this game is that the two factions are different because lore is respected. You cannot ask the devs that the chosen dread and the conquest kobts have the same mechanics, because by lore this is incorrect and if they go in the previous versions there are abilities that only one faction has and that are unfair but the solution is not to withdraw them, the problem can be solved by playing with the numbers.
For example, the choppa pull (dude, if they pull you, grit your teeth because it's like a shot in a war, it can touch anyone).

Another way to solve the balance is to promote players to invest the carrer points up to the top of the path (which is possible with the old versions with adjusted numbers). allowing mixed builds but not as powerful in damage, healing or tanking as one with all points until the end of the path.

Anyway, I think that the healthiest thing on the issue of balance is to leave things as mithic left them and only adjust numbers and make people aware through the wiki, the forum and the game that the factions are different because of LORE and that is why " mirrors "are diferent too.
and I think respecting the LORE and just hitting the numbers should be the better way of approaching balance. which would allow the group of devs to work on other areas of the game.

dont ban me!!!!!!

Wraithedge

Post#76 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:29 pm

I have to say that the crawl up to 16 is the most wretched experience I have ever had in any game across some 20+ years of experience.

16 is when you can group with other payers. 16 Is where you can open the groups screen and find something happening. 16 is when you can actually take part in the game itself.

And the devs should know that because they made it that way.

T1 doesn’t exist. I don’t know why any would argue that it does or try to point at its existence. It is a myth. Perhaps one could go to Ekrund and feed the WEs for a while. But to get to 16 one has to place ones face into the saftey-glass tray of SCs and grind away.

Its embarrassingly awful from a design perspective and soul crushing to play one double-digit blowout loss after another, counting up the miserable exp and trying to figure out how much more punishment it will take to get out of this hole.

It is a testament to the endurance of anyone making it to the other side.

I have met and talked to many people who have joined and then quit during this stage. Once I entertained three new players in one play session who had joined, experienced this effect, and quit while in chat with me.

Even though I tried to tell them that things get better at 16, that the siege and city game is much stronger and less punishing, it wasn’t enough to offset the awful experience of trying to get there.

I have tried to give feedback designed to stem this preventable hemorrhage with the predictable response of “Meh.”

It doesn't have to be that way.
BeautfulToad wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:10 pm I can't think of any game I play where balance is taken as seriously by devs as this one.
I try to remind myself of this while watching solo Witch Elves appear, rip a few tanks to shreds, kill their healer and then dance around with the MDPS only to disappear in the middle of their burst leaving them to die from dots while wandering off to find another group of targets.

Clearly some classes are more balanced than others.

BeautfulToad

Post#77 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:22 pm

Wraithedge wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:29 pm I try to remind myself of this while watching solo Witch Elves appear, rip a few tanks to shreds, kill their healer and then dance around with the MDPS only to disappear in the middle of their burst leaving them to die from dots while wandering off to find another group of targets.

I kind of think that about WE/WHs from time to time now but there was a time where they were absolutely useless, and even now, I kind of sigh when I see them in a group. So it's a fine line.

Wraithedge

Post#78 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:30 pm

I hear the hue and cry "not balanced for 1v1!!!11!!1!" all the time. But when absolutely no effort is put into any balance at all at these small scale then the result is an unbalanced mess going forward.

I don't know if its as much a fine line and a five lane highway that someone really should be able to see. And when lanes are added it become even more inexplicable, clearly its meant to be that way. Obviously someone wants it to be that way.

There is only to speculate on why. And it goes downhill from there.

Ads
Sulorie

Post#79 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:46 am

Wraithedge wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:29 pm
I try to remind myself of this while watching solo Witch Elves appear, rip a few tanks to shreds, kill their healer and then dance around with the MDPS only to disappear in the middle of their burst leaving them to die from dots while wandering off to find another group of targets.

Record it, I'd like see those WE doing what you wrote.
Dying is no option.

penagos22

Post#80 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:14 am

Sulorie wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:46 am
Wraithedge wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:29 pm

Record it, I'd like see those WE doing what you wrote.
Sulorie, dude, it's always you taking the opposite of everything said, If we continue as you say, you will play this game alone.
in this link you can find evidence of what is being said https://builder.returnofreckoning.com/career/witch-elf