Recent Topics

Ads

ABOUT CHEATING

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
ZEDE

ABOUT CHEATING

Post#1 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:23 pm

About cheating.
The last time I asked the question officially was during the youtube question / answer event.
I was told that to report a cheating player (using lines of code or a cheatengine) the best was to make a video to prove the fraud *.
I also answer this answer: I do not have the possibility of recording several hours of play (ram / disc capacity / problem of lag and fluidity etc), moreover during a fight I do not have time to leave the game or to activate a recording because precisely .. I am in combat, obviously .... if I do it I lose the thread of the fight and nothing has any more direction, I undoubtedly lose.
brief ...
We can see that there is currently a resurgence of players using a good number of tips, cheatcode or cheatengine / box, giving them a whole lot of wonderful abilities ... (infinite life regeneration / permanent full parry / power- force removed).
For 3 years (let's talk about the first two years) we could read regularly on the general chat that such and such player had been banned from the server for cheating or insults or bad behavior.
For about a year this is no longer the case! there are no more notifications of this kind.
Is this a desire not to stigmatize the ban players?
Or ... is nothing happening in the area of ​​cheating player research? lack of staff ? disinterest?
In any case, the game is suffering from this cheating which begins to become daily, quite permanent during low traffic hours (morning, early afternoon, late at night).
I think we really need to establish a more simplified protocol to detect these practices.
(we must admit that writing pages to recontextualize and / or explain the fraud is extremely long and tedious, especially in the context of an entertaining game ...)

I assume that an unauthorized code line monitoring system exists or at least can be set up.
Or maybe that a GM "on call" with the appropriate means of verifications * (each turn: day / week) could be responsible for the reception and the processing of the full charges? .

Note that I am absolutely not criticizing the work that is done and that has been done by the entire RoR team, on the contrary! I think that the democratization of cheating is doing a lot of harm to its image and its unlimited investment.
I just see and relate the facts, and sound the alarm bells before things get worse and get ... overwhelming.

good to you.
My regards

Ads
wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Re: ABOUT CHEATING

Post#2 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:52 pm

There's a whole lot of extremely bad faith assumptions going on here.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

eldriyth

Post#3 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:29 pm

wargrimnir wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:52 pm There's a whole lot of extremely bad faith assumptions going on here.
For once I think we agree on something. I have no idea what this guy is on about.

Sulorie

Post#4 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:24 am

ZEDE wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:23 pm
I was told that to report a cheating player (using lines of code or a cheatengine) the best was to make a video to prove the fraud *.
I also answer this answer: I do not have the possibility of recording several hours of play (ram / disc capacity / problem of lag and fluidity etc), moreover during a fight I do not have time to leave the game or to activate a recording because precisely .. I am in combat, obviously .... if I do it I lose the thread of the fight and nothing has any more direction, I undoubtedly lose.
brief ...
All those technical arguments are solved by using Shadow Play or its AMD counterpart.

It is free, has light performance load, is running in the background and with one key press you save only the last minute, 5min or whatever time frame you like.
Just save the recording after the fight has ended.

There is hardly an argument, why you can't record proof.
Dying is no option.

Secrets
Former Staff

Post#5 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:45 am

Barely anyone is cheating with those aforementioned tools. The 3 or 5 I've seen since 2017 were swiftly banned on the spot.

Resolved lol

Acidic

Post#6 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:19 am

There was a rise in “yellow” messages informing on some hammering going on at each spike in new players joining. The reduction in these messages should (in my opinion) be taken that the GM’s make the environment unpleasant for people who break the TOS and as such there is a not manny left who think it’s worth cheating or being too edgy as well as knowing just now there is games like NW attracting these edgy players.
So I believe interpretation might be off, not seeing messages does not mean that GM’s are soft , rather they have done a good effort wielding thier hammers.

Harkanor

Post#7 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:40 am

I've only met a very few "suspect" players over the years, usually some never heard off wh/wl. Met them once or twice in orvr then never again. So most likely got spotted and banned pronto. Cheating does not pay.

saupreusse
Developer

Post#8 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:06 am

@zede you could try nvidia shadow play. It records the last 5 minutes of gameplay and saves it to your harddrive when you hit the save button. It doesnt take a lot of disk space since it only ever keeps the last few minutes.

Ads
xpander
Community Management

Post#9 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:49 am

and those without nvidia or on non-windows operating system can run OBS with its replay-buffer. Essentially same thing as shadow-play.. saves last x amount of your footage with a press of a button. can be configured how long the buffer is
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Install guide for Windows
Offical RoR Discord

AUR package for WARAddonClient

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Linux Gaming Videos

Elemint

Post#10 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:10 pm

xpander wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:49 am and those without nvidia or on non-windows operating system can run OBS with its replay-buffer. Essentially same thing as shadow-play.. saves last x amount of your footage with a press of a button. can be configured how long the buffer is
Is it low performance friendly?