Unique Appearances getting butchered please STOP

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
tazdingo

Re: Unique Appearances getting butchered please STOP

Post#31 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:33 pm

Sulorie wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:12 pm=
Almost funny, that this simple concept isn't understood my some people. A specific class shouldn't ever look like a different class to begin with

you still need to explain why

as far as i can tell the reason is simply "because i don't like it"

with the ability to disable it on an individual basis this becomes "stop liking what i don't like"

Ads
Sulorie

Post#32 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:48 pm

tazdingo wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:33 pm
Sulorie wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:12 pm=
Almost funny, that this simple concept isn't understood my some people. A specific class shouldn't ever look like a different class to begin with

you still need to explain why

as far as i can tell the reason is simply "because i don't like it"

with the ability to disable it on an individual basis this becomes "stop liking what i don't like"
Disabling all alt appearance is no way here, because almost nobody is bothered with alt appearance in general.
Why a plane shouldn't look like a helicopter? Why would someone have to find arguments for a DOK to look like a DOK and no other class.
The other way around we (in general) would need sufficient arguments to keep certain bugs in game.
I have no interest in reporting bugged appearance items, because it doesn't interfere my play and when someone likes them, all fine but the sentiment to demand bugs to stay in the game in case they are found, is absurd to me. People are not entitled to their bugged items.
Dying is no option.

tazdingo

Post#33 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:18 pm

Sulorie wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:48 pm Disabling all alt appearance is no way here, because almost nobody is bothered with alt appearance in general.
Why a plane shouldn't look like a helicopter? Why would someone have to find arguments for a DOK to look like a DOK and no other class.

they make the game more fun to some people, make exploration worthwhile, make all the work that's gone into rebuilding vanilla PVE worthwhile, offer a game within a game, something to do when queues are slow, more secrets in the world to be traded for and can be completely ignored and disabled by people who don't like them with zero effect on their game. those are my arguments

we're not entitled to anything, we're just asking for something that was always part of the game to remain so. it surely must be more work to "fix" them than just leave them alone

- if any of this stuff actually had stats that made it bis to some specs and not just an appearance item then i would be for making sure it had a vanilla appearance. afaik this is currently only true for some grimshimmer pieces

space44

Post#34 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:31 pm

it takes a dev a lot more effort to think "ok now that we released this lair, PQ, or dungeon OH **** that's a WL armor appearance for a SM better delay my time by 20 minutes or more to find the correct item ID and or just borrow an ID that's commonly used to make it "correct"" than thinking instead "huh this appearance is from another career. it shares the same animation skeleton. I think the players might appreciate the little treat of getting a chance to look like something unique"
Chosen: Roten Plaguelord rr86 | Knight of the Blazing Sun: Lyntyz Jesterknight rr63

I'm not a clown, I'm the whole circus.

Grock

Post#35 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:31 pm

The argument about class identification via apperance kind of goes out the window when you have pairs like Choppa/Bork and DoK/BG which look very similar and can often be easily confused with eachother. DoKs even have shields now to make it all worse.

But even then, many classes could share secondary pieces of gear without breaking the class appearance - gloves, boots, belts, shoulders.
Orkni 85+ (in-game Grock is not me...)

space44

Post#36 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:20 pm

Grock wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:31 pm The argument about class identification via apperance kind of goes out the window when you have pairs like Choppa/Bork and DoK/BG which look very similar and can often be easily confused with eachother. DoKs even have shields now to make it all worse.

But even then, many classes could share secondary pieces of gear without breaking the class appearance - gloves, boots, belts, shoulders.
at least share shoulders, gloves, or even belts of the class. but having every class look like stormtroopers isnt an acceptable product of class identification.
Chosen: Roten Plaguelord rr86 | Knight of the Blazing Sun: Lyntyz Jesterknight rr63

I'm not a clown, I'm the whole circus.

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#37 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:51 pm

It is very easy to make a mistake in assigning appearances with how the shared item system works on the backend. It's equally easy to fix a mistake when it's reported. It's hard to unit test 24 pieces of gear at a time for each appearance, particularly when 6-8 different items are being created.

I don't believe for a minute that Mythic ever intentionally made broken appearance items, but rather didn't care much to fix them, like a long list of other bugs that have been fixed over the years. Considering most of the broken appearances were from PQ's that haven't been implemented, it seems more likely the team that was responsible for itemization never made it more than a few months into the live server before the post-launch layoffs hit.

OP I'll give some benefit of the doubt in not knowing, but other people in this thread certainly know the position we have on this. Bugged appearances are bugged and will be fixed. If there's something in the client that suggests an appearance should be shared, we will lean towards that (weapons in particular are shared within races usually for tank+mdps). However, when it comes to armor pieces there's no such apparent intent, and the pattern of distribution of these bugged appearances is not uniform in a way that has ever looked intentional.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog