Recent Topics

Ads

GCD and AP proposal

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
zayabis

Re: GCD and AP proposal

Post#21 » Sat May 21, 2022 3:06 pm

Is the developer dancing to the tune of a streamer now? and don't give a damn about majority opinion?

the server has a large future with this approach

Ads
Sulorie

Post#22 » Sat May 21, 2022 3:09 pm

zayabis wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:06 pm Is the developer dancing to the tune of a streamer now? and don't give a damn about majority opinion?

What majority?
Dying is no option.

zayabis

Post#23 » Sat May 21, 2022 3:49 pm

Sulorie wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:09 pm
zayabis wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:06 pm Is the developer dancing to the tune of a streamer now? and don't give a damn about majority opinion?

What majority?
by poll on the forum,and what is written in the game itself

Sulorie

Post#24 » Sat May 21, 2022 5:42 pm

zayabis wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:49 pm

What majority?
Let's say you are a kid and steal some toy. You like it and get used to it but some day your parents find out about it, take it away and bring it back to the store to apologize. When you ask the kid, whether this was appropriate, guess what the kid would say. You get the picture?
A poll is meaningless, as votes are highly biased due to people getting used to wrong timers. Obviously most vote against it, despite the fact that they played with 1,5s timer on live just fine and before someone brings the same old argument again, live gear creep and higher damage values are no argument.

The side effect of the change is slower AP regen, which is a different topic.
Dying is no option.

zayabis

Post#25 » Sat May 21, 2022 6:05 pm

Sulorie wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:42 pm

What majority?
Let's say you are a kid and steal some toy. You like it and get used to it but some day your parents find out about it, take it away and bring it back to the store to apologize. When you ask the kid, whether this was appropriate, guess what the kid would say. You get the picture?
A poll is meaningless, as votes are highly biased due to people getting used to wrong timers. Obviously most vote against it, despite the fact that they played with 1,5s timer on live just fine and before someone brings the same old argument again, live gear creep and higher damage values are no argument.

why introduce something that creates new problems when there are uncorrected bugs on the bug tracker for years?

Hugatsaga

Post#26 » Sat May 21, 2022 6:40 pm

Gravord wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:25 pm Recent change to gcd duration to match live value and accordingly to grant correct stat multiplier to instant abilities caused a bit of slow down of the gameplay. It's no doubt important to have coherent and matching values in the game code for abilities, but the new gameplay pace, slower by 0.35s, feels definitely too sluggish and I would very much prefer to see RoR combat more dynamic. Combined with longer delay to kick in ap regen, characters exhaust all their ap pool extremely fast, causing further downtimes in combat, before ap drains are even applied.

Id propose 2 possible solutions to gcd:
- Shorten gcd to 1.25s - It would make almost equal pace of combat as we are used to over last years in RoR, stat multiplier adjustment to 125 would cause minimal difference in dmg/heal output of instant abilities compared to what we have now and before the latest patch. Skill cooldowns would be logical multiplication of gcd (5s, 10s, etc) allowing more fluid rotations. 8gcds over 10s period.
- Shorten gcd to 1s - would speed up combat further, faster than ever before. There would be a slightly more noticeable drop of value of instant ability dmg and heals with their 150 value stat multiplier reduced to 100, but pace and possible amount of skills applied over time would fully compensate for that. 10gcds over 10s period.

Furthermore tick rate of hots and dots could be adjusted on various skills to match length of gcd (be it 1.25s or 1s) or double the value of gcd (could vary between skills), to speed up combat as well. Current 3s wait time between skill application and first tick is way too delayed for modern mmo gameplay pace.

As for ap choke, I'd propose for ap regen items to fully work per second (or global if it's not equal to 1s) at all times, even if there are skills used during gcd. It would add value to ap items. If that turns out to be too good by stacking certain items, ap cap could be set (for example 10AP/s/gcd).
Old system was fine so how about just revert to that instead of this garbage? Who cares if the values are off as long as the end result is good? Surely Dalen or whoever does the dev work is smart enough to deal with non-coherent values in the game code and take those into account when making changes? It has been working fine for the past 8 years with prevous devs.

If something is not broken, don't fix it. Could use dev resources for new content (vulture lord, lost vale or totally new content etc etc) instead of shuffling game mechanics back and forth (and usually taking the game backwards with those).
Live: Daeneria, Polestar
RoR: Calmdown, Goldman, Kohta, Madguard, Magnumforce, Northsorc, Northstar etc
Youtube

havartii

Post#27 » Sat May 21, 2022 7:00 pm

Sulorie wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:42 pm

What majority?

The correct thing to do is admit some collateral damage was not expected and pull the change to further fix it. NOT ,leave it broken and just pretend that people are not upset by it. GDC change on it's own probably would not have this negative response . Leaving the game broken until someone gets around to it is just rude.
Order: 70 AM / 76 RP/ 72 Knight/ 58 WH
Destro: 82 Sham / 79 Zealot/ 70 DoK /70 Magus /68 Mara
Many alts on both sides now ruined by new currency change

jughurta69

Post#28 » Sat May 21, 2022 7:14 pm

GCD is little high . 1,2 s is perfect .

if GCD dont change may be increase ST damage in AOR because in ROR they are too small given the heals and the resistance capacity

AOE need a real nerf in this game, AOE is a joke AOE damage is better than ST .... logic???

Ads
Truelyyy

Post#29 » Sun May 22, 2022 12:21 pm

I agree with OP, either revert the changes or if devs thinks GCDs need to be changed and standardised 1.25s GCD would be better and I assume mathematically better for calculations. 1.5s feels slow when as others have mentioned as all skills are GCD whilst other games have skills that arent affected by GCD. Also AP needs to be resolved but I'm sure this was just an oversight by the devs. I'm not exaggerating that if the devs stay stubborn with this 1.5s GCD it will kill the game game population long term so please listen to the players for solutions.

I'm assuming from a dev POV this is to fix issues but this fix gameplay-wise will be worse that what it was originally so for the majority of players so in some sense it's not really a fix it just makes the game a lot worse.
Last edited by Truelyyy on Sun May 22, 2022 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gargis

Post#30 » Sun May 22, 2022 12:42 pm

I've have a RR 85 RP and WP.

Testing I did on the RP gave me the following impression. The regen on RP is bad now relative to the GCD. I could care less about the new GCD time, that is not the issue I am concerned about. I have no issue with slowing burst damage.

I have 13 ap/s regen, use Resto Burst tactic, and decked out in the best gear. I run a combo of Sov/WL and Sov/Tri. The latter of which has a armor proc as you recall for more ap regen.

Change it up some, lets say I'm a new player w/o the best gear, including the Apostle Rune staff that gives 6ap/s. So its not unreasonable to presume, they might have 7-9 ap/s.

Now put them in a pug, not organized wb or grp with a Knight ap aura or IB TYS tactic to feed ap. I can tell you w/o any reservation they will be ap starved as hell.

Is it unreasonable for them to conclude that after all this time lvling up and playing , I get closer to pinnacle play, and my class is dog ****? I think not.

You need to hear what I'm saying, you need to put yourself in non-optimal play in the shoes of another player w/o the knowledge of multiple source synergy. This ap/s regen is bad for the very ppl who support the game.

Go test if yourself, see what I'm saying and think about the consequence to the average player. IMO, the ap regen on cloth healers needs to be looked at again.

Addendum: There is an additional consequence in regard to the poor ap regen. I restricts the tactic sets that RP/Zealots can use. IMO, they are required to use Resto Burst tactic and push a gear set that optimizes heal crit over heal power, weather they are cognizant of it or not. If the latter, it will contribute to play frustration.

Consider that lower RR players w/o Set ring w/heal crit talisman, they will get less Resto Burst tacitc procs, which will further exacerbate the ap issue.
I can not overstate this ap regen issue on RP/Zealots. I implore you to to take a small amount of time and test it in a non-optimal play set up.