Recent Topics

Ads

The current pve is the antithesis to RoR and needs to be fixed

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Hysteri4

The current pve is the antithesis to RoR and needs to be fixed

Post#1 » Tue May 24, 2022 1:37 pm

THE PROBLEM
(Dear Diary,)
Here's what I mean by the title. What makes RoR the most fun MMO I've played so far, is the fact that you can just enter the game, at any point of the day and immediately jump into the action and have fun. No need to wait for anyone or anything, ever. It starts with level 1. You kill a few mobs to get level 2, War Report to the active T1 region and join the zerg. Sure you can do PQs, or early Dungeons, but you never HAVE to.

I believe the War Crest system was one of the greatest changes ever. Simply because it plays perfectly into the strengths of RoR. You no longer have to do SCs, oRvR, ranked or Cities for the gear you need. Just jump into the game and play the way that's the most fun for you!

...and then comes the point to get you Sentinel jewelry and Bloodlord weapons. And all of that fun just stops. I could no longer just jump in to roam a bit and make progress. I knew that what I really needed right now was those damn PvE sets and weapons. And to do dungeons, you can't just log in and do a quick dungeon. No. You have to spam /5 and /g and /a for hours. Trying to get a group together. Only to then do content that somehow manages to be both piss easy and utterly confusing at the same time (at least from my perspective, someone who never did pve in this game) .

I even did everything right...well except for playing a class that is sought after for pve content. I changed guilds and went into a huge guild with a huge alliance. I made groups myself instead of waiting to join one. Hell I even started offering to pay tanks/healers gold to join us when I couldn't find the final player for my group. But even when doing everything right, it was still a pain and I'm glad I never have to do it again.

THE SOLUTION
There are a few possible ways to reduce the pain of PvE
...give better rewards to encourage more people doing dungeons. But that would just mean that you force players to do content that's mostly disliked.
...give even more Influence and faster item quests. But even if you had to every dungeon only once, it would still be the worst content in the game. You'd have to eat **** 3 times instead of 9 times, what a feast.
...make the content actually fun. I don't see that happening. I believe that even if RoR had absolutely amazing PvE encounters, most players still wouldn't care. It's simply not what people play the game for.

Here's what I propose:
Do it the way you did with ranked gear. Bite the bullet and accept that at least for now, the content is not desired enough to be the source of BIS gear.
Make PvE gear buyable with War Crests. I don't care about the price. Make Sentinel have Sovereign costs if that's what it takes. People will be happy to buy their Sentinel Jewelry for 2k crests. Or their Bloodlord Weapon for 3k crests.
Obviously you should still be able to do dungeons to get the gear. If you have lots of PvE-liking friends and are able to get groups going quickly, you can get the gear a lot faster than to farm the crests. But now everyone else is free from the pain that is the current PvE experience. And I know that would feel bad for you the developers and I emphasise with you, it would feel like giving up on content that a lot of hard work went into. But until a better solution comes around, I believe that it would be the best way to handle it.

Ads
space44

Re: The current pve is the antithesis to RoR and needs to be fixed

Post#2 » Tue May 24, 2022 1:40 pm

more mechanics and maybe multiple mechanics happening at the same time would be cool but "we dont have the people, the time, or the resources for it" even tho they are able to gut LoTD and make it more barren than actual deserts.
Chosen: Roten Plaguelord rr86 | Knight of the Blazing Sun: Lyntyz Jesterknight rr63

I'm not a clown, I'm the whole circus.

Kaelang

Post#3 » Tue May 24, 2022 2:03 pm

Without giving away too much information, we hear you.
DiscordFacebookTwitterInstagram

I play around with Social Media, troll our players on Discord and officially hate anyone who plays a dwarf.

tazdingo

Post#4 » Tue May 24, 2022 2:22 pm

i was so excited upon seeing the soulstone in the rvr weekly... until i saw there was no ring attached :lol:

Omegus

Post#5 » Tue May 24, 2022 2:45 pm

The number of completions for the city dungeons and bastion stair just got dramatically reduced. How much further does it need to be cut by? :D.

Plenty of people do PvE, and what on earth class did you pick that isn't wanted to clear a dungeon?

Hoping the PvE focus group isn't full of people who don't actually like PvE...
Zomega: RR8x Zealot

Garamore

Post#6 » Tue May 24, 2022 2:52 pm

Just need to either cut or scale boss HP. When the mechs work they are quite fun but some of the bosses just take too long with lower level toons. Noone really plays this for PVE so a 3hr gunbad run on all low levels isnt much fun. For those of us in big guilds we can just get/give a carry but average pug is stuck.
Garamore - Chosen Garamar - Marauder Garachop - Choppa Garamor - Slayer

Warband leader for Hand of Blood

https://www.twitch.tv/therealgaramore

kirraha

Post#7 » Tue May 24, 2022 3:52 pm

Garamore wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:52 pm Just need to either cut or scale boss HP. When the mechs work they are quite fun but some of the bosses just take too long with lower level toons. Noone really plays this for PVE so a 3hr gunbad run on all low levels isnt much fun. For those of us in big guilds we can just get/give a carry but average pug is stuck.
3 hour gunbad run?! :O Does ppl do 3 hour runs even as pugs?
I think pve is boring cus of your point though. Boring or annoying mechanics with tanky health just so it takes extra time.
Also the bug in Bastion with porting ppl to IC or Altdorf is not helping. It's been reported ofc, since having to run back to end of the instance is not quite hilarious. :D