Recent Topics

Ads

[Suggestion] Replace AAO and WTA Buff/Bane

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Ruin

Re: [Suggestion] Replace AAO and WTA Buff/Bane

Post#31 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:10 am

I would also like to add that with the removal or Royal Crests, and Cite Sieges from the campaign, the overall Goal of RVR, change dramatically, now there is less incentive to defend or hold until your Realm can bolster its strength, to “Pride IT” or just to deny the satisfaction to the opponent.
The ORVR campaign seems like regular Grind, with no goals. And we can see that in the behaviour or Organised Warband Leaders, who instead of aiming for a specific goal, look into on which maps they wont to fight for the evening.

My ideas are to:
1. Put more incentives into overall ORvR Campaign and its consequences
2. Make City Sieges more attractive again
Ad.: 1 Wining/Defending Forts increase the Realm Capital number of Stars numbers or decrease timer for the next one. City Stars then should provide additional rewards like increase renown, for the realm cheaper keep Claims, or declarations to defend zones.
Ad.: 2 Wining Cities could provide additional reward on top of crests. Examples would be:
- Genesis Crest
- Crafting materials
- Triumphant insignias or whatever the crest from ranked are called
- Containers of things like liniments, talismans
- War crests
- Rare chance purple seeds
- Event slot items

Ads
Bucinator

Post#32 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:30 am

I have read all the comments and ideas suggested by all players. I believe the purpose of this thread is to find a solution, which will allow the realm with smaller population to fight on an "almost" equal terms, without disrupting the overall flow of the game. The current problems identified with oRvR are:

- A larger group will always look for a smaller one to overcome - AAO and WTA will be irrelevant in this case.
- A solo / duo will always look for a loner moving within the zone (easy win in some cases) - AAO and WTA will be irrelevant.
- The current map design encourages the plays mentioned above and according to feedback, changing stats and giving advantage to lower-populated side will harm either of those playstyles.

As mentioned in this thread, I believe the core problem is not the stats, not the AAO and WTA, but the overall design of the maps in oRvR.
I think it's safe to say that all of us enjoy doing a large scale battles and a small skirmishes on equal terms. I also believe that none of us would like to be in a situation, where we are loosing not because the enemies are stronger, but because they are many.

Therefore, I would suggest to think about how to change the oRvR lakes, so the following engagements can still happen:
- A larger group can overcome a smaller one due to numbers
- A solo / duo will find a loner moving through the zone
- A small group of players can hold on a larger group of players for some time (I've seen this happen only on a few oRvR lakes).

And all of the above should happen without changing stats.

Now, this sounds like a tough nut to crack, but I think all the players have ideas on how to solve it. Let's hear what you think about it.

illutian

Post#33 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:55 pm

Omegus wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:27 pm The back and forth has been the same for years, and was at its worst when zerging for cities was a thing. It's actually better now (at least in EU evenings) than it used to be.
Better for which side? :P

((USA, but my Circadian Rhythm is on a permanent sabbatical in the EU. :lol: ))
You have to learn the rules of the game. Then play better than anyone else.

illutian

Post#34 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:59 pm

mynban wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:59 pm illutian your mistake is in the assumption that RoR playerbase wants fair equal fights. Given the option to; either have a fair equal fight, or stomp a hopeless opponent, overwhelming majority of players will always choose the option to stomp a helpless opponent.
Oh I know they don't. No human likes 'Fair'. Because 'fair' isn't in the best interest of your survival.

I'm calling for it, not because I like 'fair' either. I'm calling for it because I want to have fun. And, currently, I'm not having fun as Order. So, I guess I'll be switching to Destro for RVR.

illutian

Post#35 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:14 pm

Bucinator wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:30 am I have read all the comments and ideas suggested by all players. I believe the purpose of this thread is to find a solution, which will allow the realm with smaller population to fight on an "almost" equal terms, without disrupting the overall flow of the game. The current problems identified with oRvR are:

- A larger group will always look for a smaller one to overcome - AAO and WTA will be irrelevant in this case.
- A solo / duo will always look for a loner moving within the zone (easy win in some cases) - AAO and WTA will be irrelevant.
- The current map design encourages the plays mentioned above and according to feedback, changing stats and giving advantage to lower-populated side will harm either of those playstyles.

As mentioned in this thread, I believe the core problem is not the stats, not the AAO and WTA, but the overall design of the maps in oRvR.
I think it's safe to say that all of us enjoy doing a large scale battles and a small skirmishes on equal terms. I also believe that none of us would like to be in a situation, where we are loosing not because the enemies are stronger, but because they are many.

Therefore, I would suggest to think about how to change the oRvR lakes, so the following engagements can still happen:
- A larger group can overcome a smaller one due to numbers
- A solo / duo will find a loner moving through the zone
- A small group of players can hold on a larger group of players for some time (I've seen this happen only on a few oRvR lakes).

And all of the above should happen without changing stats.

Now, this sounds like a tough nut to crack, but I think all the players have ideas on how to solve it. Let's hear what you think about it.

You are correct, the goal is to make the fight even.

Part of the reason I suggested Buffs and not something else is because I know they can add those without being able to modify EXEs.

---

One other possible solution would be to make new Siege Equipment that's specifically geared to anti-personnel. Basically like how ESO has catapults that can be used to break up enemy formations.

I've manned a couple of the siege guns at keeps....and man are they pathetically weak. Roughly 300-600 damage that can be easily healed through with a single aoe HoT. The only item that claps cheeks is the oil.

So....the one possibility is if you have AAO the Siege Merchant would offer an additional Siege weapon that's paper thin but does a forward-conal AOE for around 500 non-resistable damage (I'm guessing this is what the Oil uses as a damage type since it doesn't seem decreased by Armor or Resistances, just abilities).

...paper thin as in a single archer/mage class DPS in RR40 gear can two shot them with damage to spare.

Bucinator

Post#36 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:18 pm

I do believe the solution for this problem will not be a silver bullet - no mechanism implemented can resolve the population disbalance in oRvR lakes. And I also believe, your suggestions are worth exploring.
There are several areas, which I believe can be used to impact the overall flow of the battle:
  • Line of sight (impact of ranged classes, both healers and rDPS)
  • Narrowing down the funnel of players (impact of tanks)
  • Range (impact of mDPS, rDPS and healers)
I also believe, mechanism which reduces or limits the above areas can impact the overall performance of large scale combat. We all know that a narrow passage can be guarded safely by a couple of tanks, and we also now that a wide open field allows mDPS and rDPS to cherry pick their targets. Therefore, I would suggest as a sample to pick an oRvR lake and introduce such mechanisms on Battlefield Objectives. It is testable, it is small scale and it can provide a better insight on what can be achieved with such a rework.

Start small, test, receive feedback and iterate. I think the guys from the RoR team know that really well and are building the foundation of this iterative approach.