Recent Topics

Ads

New Player Experience: Please Reduce Spawn Rate

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Brojisan

New Player Experience: Please Reduce Spawn Rate

Post#1 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:37 am

So I've been starting fresh from Ekrund as a Dwarf Engineer. The starting zones have been entirely dead, I'll usually the only one that's in the zone for leveling. Which is completely fine. However, in both the Redhammer Pub zone and Marshes of Maddness, whenever I'm forced to go into a dungeon for quests, it's pretty much impossible for me to complete the quests unless I suicide run to the end of the dungeon to pickup the quest item and die immediately after. This sometimes means having to do this multiple times to finish a single quest.

The reason for this is that even when I'm completely draining my AP zerging into the dungeon as fast as possible, I can't kill some groups of enemies fast enough to put myself out of agro range of the previous enemy before it respawns, leading to an eventual dogpile I simply can't fight my way out of. I'm okay with treating it as a challenge run and just trying to find a way within the game mechanics to pull it off, but it is admittedly pretty annoying and given that most new players are going to have to level to max solo I think this is a pretty important change to implement.

Ads
Sulorie

Re: New Player Experience: Please Reduce Spawn Rate

Post#2 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:04 am

Brojisan wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:37 am So I've been starting fresh from Ekrund as a Dwarf Engineer. The starting zones have been entirely dead, I'll usually the only one that's in the zone for leveling. Which is completely fine. However, in both the Redhammer Pub zone and Marshes of Maddness, whenever I'm forced to go into a dungeon for quests, it's pretty much impossible for me to complete the quests unless I suicide run to the end of the dungeon to pickup the quest item and die immediately after. This sometimes means having to do this multiple times to finish a single quest.

The reason for this is that even when I'm completely draining my AP zerging into the dungeon as fast as possible, I can't kill some groups of enemies fast enough to put myself out of agro range of the previous enemy before it respawns, leading to an eventual dogpile I simply can't fight my way out of. I'm okay with treating it as a challenge run and just trying to find a way within the game mechanics to pull it off, but it is admittedly pretty annoying and given that most new players are going to have to level to max solo I think this is a pretty important change to implement.
Do you know, that the best way to level is to fight other players in open rvr zone and SC? You already noticed that pve area is empty. It's fine to do pve for lore reasons and crafting but to progress your char you should for the most part do pvp.
Type ".rvr" in chat or use add-ons to see where active ever zone is. To level up, you don't have to do a single pve quest in this game.
The spawn rates can be tough in narrow locations and you are not the first to mention it over the years but afaik this is intended.
Last edited by Sulorie on Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dying is no option.

Ysaran

Post#3 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:48 am

To whole end game content is about PvP. You should focus on PvP content from the beginning or when you hit R40 your low RR will prevent you from using PvP gear (which is the best, most of the time). PvE is just there for the memories but it pretty much pointless
Zputadenti

Drednes

Post#4 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:35 am

you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about,didnt even get anywhere in this game and yet you have deemed it that the game is wrong and it should be changed...ofcourse you did...

and this game unlike most has people every evening looking to create a group with anyone
either for rvr or scenarios,you dont even need to be in the same guild

this is not wow pve and no one plays quests for leveling in a mainly pvp game...but you knew that right...that this game is mainly pvp focused? ofcourse you did

the pve in this game is horrible and just suplement your leveling with it if you are leveling too slow in pvp/rvr
you will even get better gear while doing pvp

there is your fix

sharpblader

Post#5 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:54 pm

So much hate.

OP is only talking about PvE. Just because this game is deemed by the active user base to not cater to PvE content, it does not mean that the most popular suggestion should be to go do PvP.

Personally, PvE is a breath of fresh air from the zergfest Renown grind.

Yes, I agree that mob spawn rates can seem very fast and for a new player could be quite a challenge. The best way to circumvent this is to try to get better gear or skip to the next quest. There is alot to do and skipping a quest will not result in being unable to level up like in Vanilla WoW.

Arthem

Post#6 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:36 am

Problem with PvP is you need other players. Game is too dead atm. So I think he or she / they should stick with the PvE because at least mobs have population. I would suggest going on an epic quest to find other group mates, even if you magically find 1 or 2 that should be enough to do most quests.

Ninjagon

Post#7 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:38 am

The combination of scenarios and PvE content is the right way, how to level your fresh new character. Just click to the small icon next to your minimap and queue to all scenarios right now. You will be surprised, how much XP and renown you can get there :-)

Tip: There is bonus scenario event, EVERY week. Don't miss it. (And find yourself an active guild.)
Ninjab - The White Lion. No Destruction character. RETRIBUTION guild.
Also: Velmires - WP, Carnow - KotbS, Ninjagon - BW, Nynja - SW, Stin - WH, and others.
Spoiler:

Brojisan

Post#8 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:16 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I was under the impression that like most MMOs I'd need to hit max level before being allowed to play the real game. It's good news that I'm actually encouraged to do the fun part out the gate.
Drednes wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:35 am you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about,didnt even get anywhere in this game and yet you have deemed it that the game is wrong and it should be changed...ofcourse you did...

and this game unlike most has people every evening looking to create a group with anyone
either for rvr or scenarios,you dont even need to be in the same guild

this is not wow pve and no one plays quests for leveling in a mainly pvp game...but you knew that right...that this game is mainly pvp focused? ofcourse you did

the pve in this game is horrible and just suplement your leveling with it if you are leveling too slow in pvp/rvr
you will even get better gear while doing pvp

there is your fix
So let's say I put 1000 more hours into this game. Would this somehow change that a level 14 or so engineer still does not have access to the skills and gear that it takes to clear the dungeon areas quickly enough to beat the respawn timers (or, at least, that what is supposed to be a chill face-rolly grind in the low level areas requires you to use the character's kit to a level of efficiency that is hard to expect from a new player)?

If PvE is supposed to be ignored, where are the hooks in the early game telling the player that this is the case?

Does anyone else see how this could be an exit point for someone who is less enthusiastic about WAR and isn't willing to jump through hoops to experience what RoR has to offer?

Ads
Sulorie

Post#9 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:53 pm

Brojisan wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:16 pm Thanks for the info guys. I was under the impression that like most MMOs I'd need to hit max level before being allowed to play the real game. It's good news that I'm actually encouraged to do the fun part out the gate.

So let's say I put 1000 more hours into this game. Would this somehow change that a level 14 or so engineer still does not have access to the skills and gear that it takes to clear the dungeon areas quickly enough to beat the respawn timers (or, at least, that what is supposed to be a chill face-rolly grind in the low level areas requires you to use the character's kit to a level of efficiency that is hard to expect from a new player)?

If PvE is supposed to be ignored, where are the hooks in the early game telling the player that this is the case?

Does anyone else see how this could be an exit point for someone who is less enthusiastic about WAR and isn't willing to jump through hoops to experience what RoR has to offer?
Tbh, even on the live game many years ago hardly anyone did pve. Only during the first 1-2 years because a lot people came from pve mmos and didn't know anything else. This game is the one of a few, well I don't know any other game like this, where you can entirely skip the pve quest part and just do the things you enjoy at endgame - pvp. :)

With more experience and longer play time you will have better gear at rank 14 but still on some classes the spawn rates will be a struggle, when you lack healing. Just skip those quests, it's not like you miss something important and for "completion" reasons you can do it later at higher rank.
Dying is no option.

TrancaNapiaz

Post#10 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:28 am

Hi, I'm a (maybe?) returning player. I dropped off because of the constant PvP with close to none PvE, personally what I enjoy the most in this genre is world leveling and world pvp but when I choose to, not constant if you know what I'm saying.

I think giving the players an option to stop gaining experience from mobs or quests (maybe no PQs) would make the world more vivid and doing quests more interesting. I'm actually playing a custom server of another famous mmo because of the blend between PvE and PvP and I think RoR could benefit from this too