Recent Topics

Ads

Dok and WP Shields giving running speed

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Mvl130

Dok and WP Shields giving running speed

Post#1 » Sun May 28, 2023 12:29 am

When you do CnT or BB/BE three times you can get with your warrior-priest or with your DoK a shield that sometimes increases your running speed by 20%.

The problem is that the effect runs off as soon as you use an ability, which makes the shield pretty useless because you're constantly using abilities (dispell, hots, snares, and all the melee abilities you have to spam in order to buff and heal)

So what I'm saying is to make the running speed effect lasts for full duration even if you use abilities, with a possibility for this effect to proc every 10 seconds, in order to make this shield actually worth something

Ads
Detangler

Re: Dok and WP Shields giving running speed

Post#2 » Sun May 28, 2023 1:01 am

So you want to have zero drawbacks over chalice/book healing? Got it.
Detangler and alts - 84 Chosen, other 40s - DoK, Zealot, SH, WE, BG, BO
Destro - Mostly Harmless
Tangler and alts - 8X IB, other 40s - RP, SM
Order - Most dishonorable

Rydiak

Post#3 » Sun May 28, 2023 1:03 am

Plus, this effect exists on multiple items, not just shields. Essentially OP is asking for a VERY strong proc with no drawbacks (hint, it used to work like OP is asking for but was nerfed because it was stupidly strong).
Interested in the Grace playstyle but don't know where to start? Check out my Grace guide!

Check out my Damage Calculator. Also includes extra RoR calculators! -Updated for 01/25/24 patch!

Mvl130

Post#4 » Sun May 28, 2023 9:59 am

Good thing we have heroes like you to maintain the balance in the game

Shamans have a free tactic that makes them run 30% faster for 5 seconds, 25% chance of proc on being hit, every 10 seconds, and they can cast healing/damaging spells without loosing that (and they are a ranged class that does not have to stop to cast its spells).

But a 12% chance to proc a 20% running speed for a melee healer equipped with a specific shield is "stupidly strong" ?

Can you tell me Detangler what are the drawbacks of playing chalice/book compared to shield ? You heal more, you die less, it works in any situation, you don't have to worry about being kited, your healing isnt negated by parry/block stacking and absorb effects on targets, tanks can save their guard for a melee damage dealer... The only reason to play shield is because you find it less boring than backline healing.

It's actually so easy to play book/chalice that pretty much any healing warrior-priest or DoK runs that spec, and that warbands or 6men tryharding kick you if you use a shield because they find it inconsistent, and it's inconsistent because of how easy it is to kite (among many other things I just listed). But making a shield functionnal would remove the "only" drawback from the spec according to the enlightened Detangler

Sinisterror

Post#5 » Sun May 28, 2023 10:44 am

Mvl130 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 9:59 am Good thing we have heroes like you to maintain the balance in the game

Shamans have a free tactic that makes them run 30% faster for 5 seconds, 25% chance of proc on being hit, every 10 seconds, and they can cast healing/damaging spells without loosing that (and they are a ranged class that does not have to stop to cast its spells).

But a 12% chance to proc a 20% running speed for a melee healer equipped with a specific shield is "stupidly strong" ?

Can you tell me Detangler what are the drawbacks of playing chalice/book compared to shield ? You heal more, you die less, it works in any situation, you don't have to worry about being kited, your healing isnt negated by parry/block stacking and absorb effects on targets, tanks can save their guard for a melee damage dealer... The only reason to play shield is because you find it less boring than backline healing.

It's actually so easy to play book/chalice that pretty much any healing warrior-priest or DoK runs that spec, and that warbands or 6men tryharding kick you if you use a shield because they find it inconsistent, and it's inconsistent because of how easy it is to kite (among many other things I just listed). But making a shield functionnal would remove the "only" drawback from the spec according to the enlightened Detangler
Yes. 12% Chance on getting hit to proc 20 % speed that wouldnt break on skill use means that it would literally be ALWAYS up. In that case you, as a Melee healer would have constant 20% + speed and Shaman's can now have the proc up maximum 50% of the time. And other is a Proc and other is a tactic. Imo make Run Away ICD 5 Seconds not 10. And give WL 10s/5s CD snare back with mid-air pounce.

Man Wp/Dok really shouldnt have Shields AT ALL. Having Block and AP based melee healing that is not possible for 2H/DW. With shield you can heal your grp 1k with 1 SIgmars radiance/Transfer essence and after that you can Aoe Heal def target and surroundings for 2000hp and dont even need Los to do it. Running out of Rf/Se? No worries just use AP based Melee grp heal and get 35 rf/se. If aoe cap was 9 and not 24 like it IMO should be, people would very fast recognize the OP that is Melee wp/dok having shield. You can keep the shield skills, but not the shield. And my First main was Melee WP back in 2008 so i have some idea how this works.

Even if shield was removed which would be great for the game imo even still Melee wp/dok cant have Charge skill. WH/WE really shouldnt either and speed buff from Vanish should be removed. Its better than normal mdps Charge because it ignores GCD. Squig Herder should have Pounce removed with Outta my way! as well.
Last edited by Sinisterror on Sun May 28, 2023 10:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
"To clarify, me asking to developers to go test their own changes is not sign of toxicity or anger, but a sign of hope that the people punching in the numbers remain aware of potential consequences and test their own changes"-Teefz

Zxul

Post#6 » Sun May 28, 2023 10:46 am

Mvl130 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 9:59 am Good thing we have heroes like you to maintain the balance in the game

I would still kick a shield dok out of wb even with the proc that you are asking for.

And shield dok is strong in scs, cause of ability to heal while doing dmg in same time, while not having to deal with rvr style aoe.
"Can we play with him, master? He seems so unhappy. Let us help him smile. Please? Or at least let us carve one on his face when he stops screaming."

— Azeila, Alluress of Slaanesh

Ladypriest

Post#7 » Sun May 28, 2023 12:08 pm

It's incredibly absurd how people think only of their own benefit.

I'm constantly leveling a new class, the previous two were Chosen and IB, I feel IB needs some tweaking, Chosen is pretty ok, even though I remember him being better than here in RoR.

I'm currently leveling a WP shield, and what can I say that equally DOK is one of the hardest classes to play without very good support. As much as it seems easy in theory, healing and dps, this is not the case when your opponents have numerous options to leave you isolated in battle, with no option for healing or buffs. Only on SCs does it get a little better. And this is not difficult to happen since most classes have several options for CC, Immunity or scape.

What I mean is that the thread creator has a point. What doesn't make sense is having this proc on the shield and it being useless.

And in fact both DOK and WP shield/2h need to be rethought, the scaling of their defenses are horrible, pathetic mobility immunity / cc freedom almost insistent hampered by unnecessary mechanics that force the use of 2 skills for the effect to happen.

I don't intend to go into detail as it's a waste of time, but someone inside RoR should do a little analysis of how complicated it is to play WP/DOK Shield/2H.

Mvl130

Post#8 » Sun May 28, 2023 12:15 pm

Sinisterror wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:44 am
Yes. 12% Chance on getting hit to proc 20 % speed that wouldnt break on skill use means that it would literally be ALWAYS up. In that case you, as a Melee healer would have constant 20% + speed and Shaman's can now have the proc up maximum 50% of the time.
So currently the speed bonus breaks as soon as it pops because you're constantly using abilities, so it's completely worthless.
That 12% proc is not that high, if you play with this shield you can spend 30 seconds in melee without having a single proc from it, so this idea that you're all the time sped up is actually wrong, the reason for that is that you block/parry attacks and when it occurs it cannot triggers this effect.

Shamans are a range class so I don't see why they should have more chances to proc a higher bonus running speed that does not break upon using abilities, while having aoe snares and punts, and no need to stay grounded to cast abilities on top of that. Their need for mobility is lower because they have 125ft range on their abilities, as a shield healer you have 5ft. Also they do not block/parry attacks so their tactic is triggered as soon as they are focused. It's actually funny to see you complain about that shield bonus while at the same time writing that shamans tactic is not so bad :lol:

Zxul wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:46 am
I would still kick a shield dok out of wb even with the proc that you are asking for.

Thank you for proving my point
Last edited by Mvl130 on Sun May 28, 2023 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ads
Mvl130

Post#9 » Sun May 28, 2023 12:19 pm

And thank you Ladypriest for having some common sense unlike these tedious and annoying average forumers

Sinisterror

Post#10 » Sun May 28, 2023 1:26 pm

Mvl130 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 12:15 pm
Sinisterror wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:44 am
Yes. 12% Chance on getting hit to proc 20 % speed that wouldnt break on skill use means that it would literally be ALWAYS up. In that case you, as a Melee healer would have constant 20% + speed and Shaman's can now have the proc up maximum 50% of the time.
So currently the speed bonus breaks as soon as it pops because you're constantly using abilities, so it's completely worthless.
That 12% proc is not that high, if you play with this shield you can spend 30 seconds in melee without having a single proc from it, so this idea that you're all the time sped up is actually wrong, the reason for that is that you block/parry attacks and when it occurs it cannot triggers this effect.

Shamans are a range class so I don't see why they should have more chances to proc a higher bonus running speed that does not break upon using abilities, while having aoe snares and punts, and no need to stay grounded to cast abilities on top of that. Their need for mobility is lower because they have 125ft range on their abilities, as a shield healer you have 5ft. Also they do not block/parry attacks so their tactic is triggered as soon as they are focused. It's actually funny to see you complain about that shield bonus while at the same time writing that shamans tactic is not so bad :lol:

Zxul wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:46 am

Thank you for proving my point
Are you actually saying that because with SHIELD you BLOCK so much dmg so that this proc is useless whilst saying Shammy doesnt block or parry(they do parry btw) and using it as a bad thing for shaman that they cant Block? : D 12% proc chance on being hit with 10sec is 100% uptime if it didnt cancel WHEN you use ability. And as a Shield wp/dok its funny to me you dont realize you can actually use Divine Assault/Rend Soul and if this procs happens whilst casting it doesnt cancel the cast. Free Advice its your only way of against good kiters=) Also maybe because Shammy/SQ have had those tactics since 2008 and Empire/Chaos has Absorb Tactics instead? Or that Wp/Dok are ONLY Medium armour Healers in the game OR they now have GODDAMN BLOCK as well?

I always run QE with 2h or shield(i dont really play shield except pve becayse super OP) when playing wp/dps dok because they dont have charge and they shouldnt get one, but this trick will help you alot and is your only hope against good kiters. They dont have 125ft range they have 100ft. Fodg gets only 80ft. And WP saying about Shaman " Dont have to stay grounded for abilities " you do realize their Grp heal is 2.5 seconds long cast? Single target is 2 sec. WP has 05s Divine Mend and 1s Grp Heal.

And im the one who only thinks about myself? Sure
"To clarify, me asking to developers to go test their own changes is not sign of toxicity or anger, but a sign of hope that the people punching in the numbers remain aware of potential consequences and test their own changes"-Teefz