Recent Topics

Ads

How do moderators manage to read all the spam on forums

Talk about things which are not related to RoR or War.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Acidic

How do moderators manage to read all the spam on forums

Post#1 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:38 pm

Was just wondering how on earth the moderators and staff manage to read so much and still deliver changes ?
They are volunteers , they work, some dev, DB, manage the server ...., just don’t know how the manage.
Maybe requirement for being part of the staff is , don’t sleep (or read forums while sleeping) :)

Needless to say impressed :)

Ads
dansari

Re: How do moderators manage to read all the spam on forums

Post#2 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:03 pm

They don't. I'll read the balance forum and a handful of general discussion stuff.. I don't think torque reads all of the balance forum, for example (and doesn't need to given Peter and I tag team it). GMs are another beast though.. always on the lookout
<Salt Factory>

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#3 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:28 am

I read every post on the forums. It's not that hard, just sacrifice ~20% of your life and you could do it too. :D
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

Natherul
Former Staff

Post#4 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:27 am

I read most things on the forum, and the spam usually stands out. But sometimes its better as someone reported the post which makes the entire site go into red alert mode for me :D (it shows a notification and the thread gets marked in bright red).

Just remember that if you see a spam thread, report it and dont reply to it as that makes the life easier to whoever has to clean up that mess.

Acidic

Post#5 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:40 am

wargrimnir wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:28 am I read every post on the forums. It's not that hard, just sacrifice ~20% of your life and you could do it too. :D
Hmm , trying to find an excuse to avoid finishing digging up my driveway, maybe if I say to the wife I need to read all the posts on the forum she will let me hire a contractor. Think she forgot it was 20 years ago when I put that dam thing down, was stronger then :(

Ramasee

Post#6 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:45 am

I read every forum post on three game sites. Mark everything as read, and then every now and then pop in, click all the unread threads and then on this particular message board you can click first unread post.

Its similar to email management, except far more entertaining! (at times). Also involves phone usage during downtime, or alt-tabbing between breaks in action. So its less about sacrificing 20% of your life, and more about optimizing unused time.

Although wargrimnir has to actually moderate the posts instead of just skipping garbage, so I could see where it would take 20% of his life.