Recent Topics

Ads

Captain Marvel Movie Review

Talk about things which are not related to RoR or War.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
TenTonHammer

Re: Captain Marvel Movie Review

Post#11 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:46 am

Telen wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:25 pm Oh come on movies and comics, particularly Stan Lee comics. Both have massive history of social commentary. Go read some of Stan Soapbox's he was always known for being outspoken and putting social issues in his comics.
Problem is they do it poorly because audiences are dim as **** now and deeper conversations are beyond them so they have to dumb it down.
Film was ok but not as good as Black Panther, which wound up all the right people and was a good movie doing it.

The question is why get triggered over a film to the degree you make a video about it and post about it? You ok hun?
You know good an well the controversy of this film is not from "CAPTIAN MARVEL IS THE FIRST FEMALE marvel HEROINE EVER" and the cover up job sites like Rotten Tomatos has done to cover up for which the had admitted to doing

but rather from larsons own disparaging comments

additionally for social commentary they had no qualms about rewriting Monica Rambeau's character from a supportive family into a single parent home while setting up Danvers as this great white hope equivalent and the reason she becomes a hero

instead of in like the comics where she looked up to her retired firefighter father, he’s literally the reason she became a superhero cause she literally looked up to her father and when he found out what his daughter was doing he was so proud of her

Ads
marisco

Post#12 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:48 am

Wow, a film about a female super hero that happens to be very strong. THE FEMINISTS ARE TAKING OVER!!! :roll:

Captain Marvel is boring as a character because her powerlevel is too high, pretty much just like Superman. The struggle of a hero with this much power is always how to remain human, control emotions or how to fit alongside humans, just like Superman. The powers make the hero feel cheap and used mainly as a Deus Ex Machina in the plot while the other down-to-earth heroes fail, just like Superman. The characterization feels bland and the hero feels almost too perfect, just like Superman.

However, Superman is fine because he's a dude. Right?

peterthepan3

Post#13 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:54 am

marisco wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:48 am Wow, a film about a female super hero that happens to be very strong. THE FEMINISTS ARE TAKING OVER!!! :roll:

Captain Marvel is boring as a character because her powerlevel is too high, pretty much just like Superman. The struggle of a hero with this much power is always how to remain human, control emotions or how to fit alongside humans, just like Superman. The powers make the hero feel cheap and used mainly as a Deus Ex Machina in the plot while the other down-to-earth heroes fail, just like Superman. The characterization feels bland and the hero feels almost too perfect, just like Superman.

However, Superman is fine because he's a dude. Right?
Superman's boring as **** too, so it 100% ain't about her being a woman (you can kickass and be a woman - look at Ripley or Wonder Woman).

Telen
Suspended

Post#14 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:06 am

TenTonHammer wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:46 am You know good an well the controversy of this film is not from "CAPTIAN MARVEL IS THE FIRST FEMALE marvel HEROINE EVER" and the cover up job sites like Rotten Tomatos has done to cover up for which the had admitted to doing

but rather from larsons own disparaging comments

additionally for social commentary they had no qualms about rewriting Monica Rambeau's character from a supportive family into a single parent home while setting up Danvers as this great white hope equivalent and the reason she becomes a hero

instead of in like the comics where she looked up to her retired firefighter father, he’s literally the reason she became a superhero cause she literally looked up to her father and when he found out what his daughter was doing he was so proud of her
Controversy for this film reached these levels because these "men" feel emasculated by a society where technology has changed their nature. Thats the theme of the film these neckbeards seem to base their whole philosophy around. Problem is while Palahniuk had these men channel those feelings into an underground fight club and anarchist destruction of corporate property in the real world they go on 4chan or whatever hole and rage about just about everything. They think they are Tyler Durden but he didnt sit on the bog posting on reddit.

Its just a film.

Martok

Post#15 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:23 am

Thanks for the responses all. For context:

Telen wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:42 amMy Grandfather was dying with his guts 20 feet away on a foreign beach after stepping on a landmine, my father built up a business he worked 14 hours a day at and died at 50 of a stroke.

My sympathies your father passed at such an early age, but with respect neither of your points have anything to do with me or why I might invest time crafting a movie review. I suppose your point is to somehow attempt to diminish me via the implication I never served in the US Military in a combat zone or never engaged in hard work. Actually, I have done both.

Now I am retired, and in my spare time I engage in a hobby. My days of attempting to change the world are over.

Telen wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:42 amThis is a grown man with a youtube channel with a Dragonball Z header and he feels things were better for men before. We are the luckiest generation of men to have ever lived.

Actually, as I have discussed on various occasions prior, my younger son runs the youtube channel and created the header. He set it up when he was eleven and he is a Dragonball Z fan. I just post my videos there because I don't see the need to run two pages and my son is cool like that.

In addition I offered no commentary on which men had it better when. I did illustrate the nature of a straw-man argument, a tactic you have attempted to employ.
Last edited by Martok on Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blame It On My ADD Baby...

Martok

Post#16 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:30 am

marisco wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:48 amWow, a film about a female super hero that happens to be very strong. THE FEMINISTS ARE TAKING OVER!!!

It was a generally boring film attempting to confront an issue dealt with decades ago. To date the MCU has been comprised of an entertaining series of films. I would prefer Marvel/Disney continue that pattern as opposed to promoting political agendas.

marisco wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:48 amHowever, Superman is fine because he's a dude. Right?

As stated by others, Superman is a boring character as well. Always thought so.
Blame It On My ADD Baby...

Telen
Suspended

Post#17 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:37 am

Martok wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:23 am neither of your points have anything to do with me or why I might invest time crafting a movie review. I suppose your point is to somehow attempt to diminish me via the implication I
Previous generations of men didn't have the internet or time to whine about male identity crisis.

Carol did things because she was told she couldn't because she was a girl. That was the extent of the feminist message yet it triggered you. Oh and they play Im just a girl at one point. Great song. Seriously dude get a grip.
Last edited by Telen on Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

TenTonHammer

Post#18 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:45 am

Martok wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:30 am I would prefer Marvel/Disney continue that pattern as opposed to promoting political agendas.
cries in last jedi and solo

:(

Ads
marisco

Post#19 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:01 am

Martok wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:30 am It was a generally boring film attempting to confront an issue dealt with decades ago. To date the MCU has been comprised of an entertaining series of films. I would prefer Marvel/Disney continue that pattern as opposed to promoting political agendas.
You think Marvel and Disney, companies run by men, are pushing a feminist agenda because of a movie about a female superhero? LUL

Also, the first female fighter pilot in the USAF happened in 1993. The movie is set in 1995. I'm not sure what alternate universe you live in that gender inequality issues were "dealt" decades ago.

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#20 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:09 am

I am shocked a critical review of Captain Marvel sparked a political/ideological debate.

Shocked I tell you.

Let's not have these on the forums, they're divisive or something.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog