Recent Topics

Ads

Dwarf Warband every WEDNESDAY, 8pm Altdorftime

Get organized here and slay that monster, or challenge your enemy to an epic battle on the battlefield.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Kragg

Re: Dwarf Premade Warband. Every Wednesday 8pm Altdorftime

Post#101 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:21 pm

Axerker wrote:Bleh, does that mean I'm going to see a bunch of spam messages with incorrect spelling of "Dwarfs of Ekrund!"?

DWARVES!
In the Warhammer world it is Dwarfs.

Sergeant-Major Drengk Burloksson, RR 85 Sniper
Hulfdan Irongrip, RR 81 Ironbreaker
Proud Founder of the 3rd Bitterstone Thunderers
Alliance officer of the Grand Alliance

Ads
szejoza

Post#102 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:29 pm

Kragg wrote:
Axerker wrote:Bleh, does that mean I'm going to see a bunch of spam messages with incorrect spelling of "Dwarfs of Ekrund!"?
Dwarfs is (or rather was) the only correct spelling, dwarves is Tolkien's mistake which he addmited to in one of his letters

check it here

Now both forms are fine but as Middle Earth have dwarves, warhammer have dwarfs
Spoiler:

Axerker

Post#103 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:40 pm

szejoza wrote:
Kragg wrote:
Dwarfs is (or rather was) the only correct spelling, dwarves is Tolkien's mistake which he addmited to in one of his letters

check it here

I know Tolkien used them as Dwarves, but he wasn't the inventor of the term. Dwarfs is typically when referring to real people, and Dwarves typically when the fantasy race.

I'm not familiar with Warhammer lore, didn't know they called them Dwarfs. It'll still irritate me to no end, lol. Warhammer would be the only situation where I've seen it used as Dwarfs over Dwarves in an official context (of a fantasy setting). Dungeons and Dragons has always been referred to as Dwarves, which was made in the 70s while Warhammer was made in the 80s. It could also be a language/cultural distinction. Similar to Orcs vs Orks. Or legality/copyright usage rights, where Games Workshop might have changed to Dwarfs and Orks instead of Dwarves and Orcs to give themselves a distinction (you see this a lot in business).

Fallenkezef

Post#104 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:46 pm

Axerker wrote:
szejoza wrote:
Kragg wrote:

check it here

I know Tolkien used them as Dwarves, but he wasn't the inventor of the term. Dwarfs is typically when referring to real people, and Dwarves typically when the fantasy race.

I'm not familiar with Warhammer lore, didn't know they called them Dwarfs. It'll still irritate me to no end, lol. Warhammer would be the only situation where I've seen it used as Dwarfs over Dwarves in an official context (of a fantasy setting). Dungeons and Dragons has always been referred to as Dwarves, which was made in the 70s while Warhammer was made in the 80s. It could also be a language/cultural distinction. Similar to Orcs vs Orks. Or legality/copyright usage rights, where Games Workshop might have changed to Dwarfs and Orks instead of Dwarves and Orcs to give themselves a distinction (you see this a lot in business).
Translated from the old Norse (which the original Dwarfs come from) it is "Dwarf", Norse didn't have a "v" sound or letter. The Nordic alphabet, Futhark, is very different from the English. However many of our words and sounds are derived from old Norse.

You can argue all day whether Tolkien's is right or wrong, i go by the original saga's, written two thousand years ago.

It's DWARF
Alea iacta est

Axerker

Post#105 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:55 pm

Spoiler:
Fallenkezef wrote:
Axerker wrote:
szejoza wrote: Dwarfs is (or rather was) the only correct spelling, dwarves is Tolkien's mistake which he addmited to in one of his letters

check it here

Translated from the old Norse (which the original Dwarfs come from) it is "Dwarf", Norse didn't have a "v" sound or letter. The Nordic alphabet, Futhark, is very different from the English. However many of our words and sounds are derived from old Norse.

You can argue all day whether Tolkien's is right or wrong, i go by the original saga's, written two thousand years ago.

It's DWARF
Both are correct. Language is not static, it changes nonstop. I simply prefer the "Dwarves" over "Dwarfs".
This thread is taking a turn, which wasn't my goal. As much as I, a Destruction player, wish to cause harm to Order player's characters, we are derailing the guild's thread - which is unfair to them.

So, let's kindly agree that we have different opinions on the word, and wish the guild the best of luck on their Wednesday night adventures. :)

Kragg

Post#106 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:46 pm

Amazing evening! Life is so much easyer with TUP not around. ;)

Warfare80

Post#107 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:43 pm

Yes without TUP leading in region chat destro didnt have same strength to fight :)
We want more holidays! A very fun fight with less moralebomb and more true fights.
The "look ma, I posted on the forums" award goes to...
Spoiler:
1 *****
2 Warfare80
3 ******************

Egoish

Post#108 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:25 pm

Kragg wrote:Amazing evening! Life is so much easyer with TUP not around. ;)
The word of Wam dictates we don't join in region chat, we fight not talk.

Next week little dwarves, next week. X

Ads
Wam

Post#109 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:23 pm

FYI Destro don't have a morale bomb unless you stack mara's :)
Order on the other hand... (lol)

Also I barely lead in region chat besides keeps sometimes, I leave that to King Ocara and assist if needed :)

but im glad you guys are tearing it up and having fun :)

Merry xmas and happy new year Dawi
Wamizzle Guild Leader [TUP]
Wamizzle Guild Leader [The Unlikely Plan]

Kragg

Post#110 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:43 pm

Wam wrote:FYI Destro don't have a morale bomb unless you stack mara's :)
Order on the other hand... (lol)

Also I barely lead in region chat besides keeps sometimes, I leave that to King Ocara and assist if needed :)

but im glad you guys are tearing it up and having fun :)

Merry xmas and happy new year Dawi
Best wishes, TUP!