Recent Topics

Ads

Capture Keep - Event Part 2

Get organized here and slay that monster, or challenge your enemy to an epic battle on the battlefield.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
mynban

Re: Capture Keep - Event Part 2

Post#11 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:13 pm

Thanks for that update!

Ads
zulnam

Post#12 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:00 am

An interesting concept though. I've seen recently that the side that pushes or wins city will then also remain mainly online and strong, to push this specific zone.

Would be interesting if this could be explored some more, perhaps as part of what Max was saying, to make city occupation actually mean something for the winning side.

Perhaps once a city is decided, the victor side gets a random zone of the available unlocked ones with a victory boon, making bags in that zone give full invader/royal medals instead of shards.
SW, Kotbs, IB, Slayer, WP, WL, SM, Mara, SH, BG

mynban

Post#13 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:47 am

zulnam wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:00 am An interesting concept though. I've seen recently that the side that pushes or wins city will then also remain mainly online and strong, to push this specific zone.

Would be interesting if this could be explored some more, perhaps as part of what Max was saying, to make city occupation actually mean something for the winning side.

Perhaps once a city is decided, the victor side gets a random zone of the available unlocked ones with a victory boon, making bags in that zone give full invader/royal medals instead of shards.
This would be a horrible idea. I think the biggest problems we have with game comes from disregarding the basic concept "What would this lead to in terms of player behavior?"

Your idea would make current situation with one sided battles, xrealming and throwing so much more worse, simply because it would so much more rewarding to do so. This concept of 'rewarding winners more' will kill whatever little competition is left in the game. What needs to be focus of the game should be "How do we incentivize people facing a potentially one sided defeat to actually join the fight and do their best'.

Just my 2cents.

Rapzel

Post#14 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:44 am

mynban wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:47 am
zulnam wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:00 am An interesting concept though. I've seen recently that the side that pushes or wins city will then also remain mainly online and strong, to push this specific zone.

This would be a horrible idea. I think the biggest problems we have with game comes from disregarding the basic concept "What would this lead to in terms of player behavior?"

Your idea would make current situation with one sided battles, xrealming and throwing so much more worse, simply because it would so much more rewarding to do so. This concept of 'rewarding winners more' will kill whatever little competition is left in the game. What needs to be focus of the game should be "How do we incentivize people facing a potentially one sided defeat to actually join the fight and do their best'.

Just my 2cents.
The competition was never there to begin with, there was a few WBs that got scorned and scolded since they kept looking for fights instead of playing the PvE game, those guilds are gone and now people whine about PvDoor, what a surprise.
These wbs had enemy players that kept reporting their position so that the other factions wbs could avoid engaging with them and play the PvE game (Erihon is probably the most typed name in t4 and RvR-region chat on destro).
City made WBing some what competitive since it stopped being about who could pile the most bodies on the enemy, this lead to queue dodging, waiting for the better wbs to get pugs so you could get a chill and easy city.

X-realming, as it has been shown lately is not the issue about why people zerg, now that entering a fort triggers the 90 min cd you can't help push fort and then relog the other faction, you just city log like back in the days. ORvR has always been about zerging, the more players on the server the worse the experience, 40% AAO back when we had 300 players (during prime time) usually meant the difference between 20-40 (in the contested zone, i.e. no SC or PvE spammers included) players which is something you can deal with when it comes to sieges given you have proper setups, the issue is that we have ~1000 players and that 40% AAO turns into 60-120 players in a contested zone, this forces counter pushing. Counter pushing has players choose between either give up the zone progress in x campaign to push campaign y resulting in a status quo, or go back and defend and losing the progress made in x to protect y, another status quo.
This becomes a dodge simulator with a lot of active players online, during the lazypeon storm it was literally a flight simulator.

Now what does this have to do with an open end game zone and rewards?

Well given that we can reduce the amount of players entering ORvR and taking out their frustrations on rank 16s I'm quite sure ORvR will be more pleasant for everyone involved, less people in a zone results in less zerging which benefits WBs that want to fight, solo and small scale players.
To me there's 3 different approaches to solve it.

1. Lock zones like forts with queues, have a base of e.g. 48 slots and then dynamically extend it.
Pros: no zerg.
Cons: not everyone can join the fight, though this is tried and tested for SCs so it's a minor issue IMHO.

2. Add a "new" end game zone (Isle of the dead?), as a ORvR zone for high tier players (40/70?). I don't think royals or invaders should drop, but instead add crafting materials merchants and make people drop some new currency exclusive to buy crafting materials and ONLY in this zone, possibilities of adding "world bosses" as well and w/e.
Pros: no more welcome to t4 b***h.
Cons: potentially ranked 2.0 (i.e DOA) as people will dodge anything that is slightly competitive.

3. Returning to tier locked brackets.
Pros: allows new players to learn to walk before they run.
Cons: Dead mid tier zones, just like on live. Slows down the gearing process for new toons.

P.S
for one kill with some AAO at a BO you get more renown than from a full SC that you win. Just saying.
D.S