Recent Topics

Ads

Renown Compression - Cancelled

The latest news from the battlefront.
Find out what the developers are working on.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Renown Compression - Cancelled

Post#1 » Fri May 26, 2017 6:34 pm

This is no longer planned. Feel free to level to your hearts content in the upcoming event, and onward.

We will return to our previous stance that wipes/rollbacks will occur only when a significant exploit has been uncovered and it is warranted. Any adjustments to the renown system can be done without affecting players accumulated progress.

But why?

The concept of compression versus a hard wipe seemed to be the most suitable method to preserve progress. At the time, the powers that be saw this as an acceptable compromise for significantly updating the renown system. The tangible benefits after much discussion have faded into distant memory, and it no longer appears to be necessary. I would expect most of the community will take this as good news.

We will find other ways to gain insights into the systems when they are changed than forcing everyone who has rightfully earned their progress back down to ranks they have not seen in months.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

Ads
Pumatouch

Re: Renown Compression - Cancelled

Post#2 » Fri May 26, 2017 6:45 pm

Saw it coming :D
Arthur - Slarti - Halgal - Binwin
Each and every Dawi under my command owes me one hundred scalps.
And I want my scalps.

Med57

Post#3 » Fri May 26, 2017 6:46 pm

Hey,
First of all congratulations from the deep of my heart for keeping this project alive.
Unfortunately I can't be active anymore due to job/life you know..
But I still follow you from the social networks, as an original player and fan, I felt I had to say something on this right now.

How about you introduce seasons?
Yes it's not LoL here but listen to me:
a three months season that will determine some winners, you choose which things you should reward.
the rewards could be many, but should be fat. Not talking about skills and/ore equip but maybe some consumable infinite item, a special title, a particular trophy, you got the thing.
And then, the winners will be shown in a harald like, on the site or here in the forums.
It's something we didn't see in an mmo yet and it could shake up things.

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#4 » Fri May 26, 2017 6:49 pm

Med57 wrote:Hey,
First of all congratulations from the deep of my heart for keeping this project alive.
But I still follow you from the social networks, as an original player and fan, I felt I had to say something on this right now.

a three months season that will determine some winners, you choose which things you should reward.
the rewards could be many, but should be fat. Not talking about skills and/ore equip but maybe some consumable infinite item, a special title, a particular trophy, you got the thing.
And then, the winners will be shown in a harald like, on the site or here in the forums.
Something like this would potentially be for the distant future, we're still working on rebuilding the game as it existed. I would expect any advancement of that sort would be outside the scope of the renown system.

Med57

Post#5 » Fri May 26, 2017 6:53 pm

wargrimnir wrote:
Med57 wrote:Hey,

Something like this would potentially be for the distant future, we're still working on rebuilding the game as it existed. I would expect any advancement of that sort would be outside the scope of the renown system.
it doesn't matter I'm enthusiast to see it still alive as it is so it's ok anyway. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tamarlan

Post#6 » Fri May 26, 2017 6:55 pm

So no wipe planned anymore. Got it. Does it also include the slower gain rate at rr40?
Halvar RP
Halver SL
Halversen IB
Halva ENG

Sacrx

Post#7 » Fri May 26, 2017 6:56 pm

wargrimnir wrote: But why?

Well Londo has quit the team sadly. The magic man behind the curtain who was planning most of the innovation for the server going forward. From Client control to city siege and pve dungeons. Now that hes gone we lack the capability going foward, the server has staled and we want to make it sound like it was all to plan. Because we never wanted to change the RR system anyways.
Fixed it for ya ;)

k1o3
Banned

Post#8 » Fri May 26, 2017 6:57 pm

I'm sure many players would be thrilled about this, but as a new NA player, and considering the grind, I'm slightly disappointed in regards to the invisible wall this perpetuates.

While I agree progress in MMO's is important in some ways, most if not all high quality MMOs have went as far as absolute normalization - that pvp is about skill, let the dragon slayers have their scaling.

Like I said, I get it, and I see the benefits for people who have invested time, but for someone like me all this means is that I have X amount of time to play 'competitively' on a remotely equal playing field.

So, at this rate, i guess ill hopefully make a name for myself in a few months -.-

Either way, glad you guys put so much thought in your decisions. Not complaining necessarily, just offering a perspective.

Edit: While I think in a setting where gear is earned via effort of improvement and time is a positive, providing strength for merely a time sink seems counter productive and imo encourages rvdoor type behavior, as the point of being the best is no longer the direct objective, but becoming an unstoppable titan via loot bags and reknown.

The veterans here haven't necessarily played better, smarter, harder, just merely longer, and I can't think of a position in which a MMO has ever taken that stance.

Sorry, that's kind of a rant.
Last edited by k1o3 on Fri May 26, 2017 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- notkaspr <denail>

Ads
wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#9 » Fri May 26, 2017 7:03 pm

Sacrx wrote:

Well Londo has quit the team sadly. The magic man behind the curtain who was planning most of the innovation for the server going forward. From Client control to city siege and pve dungeons. Now that hes gone we lack the capability going foward, the server has staled and we want to make it sound like it was all to plan. Because we never wanted to change the RR system anyways.
Fixed it for ya ;)
Londo is still on the team. We still fully intend to use the old system with several modifications. Put down the salt, it makes you look stupid and petty.

k1o3
Banned

Post#10 » Fri May 26, 2017 7:07 pm

wargrimnir wrote:
Sacrx wrote:

Fixed it for ya ;)
Londo is still on the team. We still fully intend to use the old system with several modifications. Put down the salt, it makes you look stupid and petty.
War would you mind taking a glance at my post please;3 I know this is already set in stone just something for the future
- notkaspr <denail>