Recent Topics

Ads

Server status: Up or Down?

The latest news from the battlefront.
Find out what the developers are working on.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Fallenkezef

Re: Server is Doot Doot

Post#721 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:18 pm

wargrimnir wrote:
Lileath wrote:Aww poopy. I just got home after a 12 hour shift and was hoping to destroy the last of my fatigued sanity with some murder and mayhem.

How dare you force me to actually go to bed :P

Keep up the good work though, murder and mayhem can happen when I wake. :D
Wait! Come back! It's up now I swear!
So what did you do, did it work?
Alea iacta est

Ads
Raggaz

Re: Server is Up

Post#722 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:19 pm

wargrimnir wrote:Trying to get something right. Pardon the frequent boots. Will be stable next time it's up if it works, or will revert and leave you EU gits alone for a while.

If it works, this will be very good. If not, well we tried.
Did it work? I mean what you were talking about?
Can you tell us the secrets
:shock:

Raggaz

Post#723 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:19 pm

Fallenkezef wrote:
wargrimnir wrote:
Lileath wrote:Aww poopy. I just got home after a 12 hour shift and was hoping to destroy the last of my fatigued sanity with some murder and mayhem.

How dare you force me to actually go to bed :P

Keep up the good work though, murder and mayhem can happen when I wake. :D
So what did you do, did it work?
Ya see we all wanna know!

Lileath

Post#724 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:21 pm

wargrimnir wrote:
Sweet sweet sleep deprived self here I come!

Thank you!

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#725 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:41 pm

Raggaz wrote:
wargrimnir wrote:Trying to get something right. Pardon the frequent boots. Will be stable next time it's up if it works, or will revert and leave you EU gits alone for a while.

If it works, this will be very good. If not, well we tried.
Did it work? I mean what you were talking about?
Can you tell us the secrets
:shock:
Currently, and in the past (forever), we've been loading everything into memory. Entire database, all the accounts, all the characters, all the character items (damn hoarders), and it takes more and more time as people make more stuff. So the first couple years of this, not a big deal. I mean haha, how many characters could they make, right? Yeah? Oh... apparently a couple million. Oh, and they all have at very least a dozen items, so a couple million times at least a dozen... that's a lot of crap to load.

OH! THEN they have the audacity to NEVER play the character again! Muh pixels goin' ta waste! Monsters I tells ya. But nooooo, we can't do wipes because that freaks people out and maybe they WERE gonna play that R4 swordmaster again, you don't know! You don't know man! I worked hard on that R4 swordmaster! His name was Swordymcswordface and now it's taken by someone else!

Anyway, people are craaay. So we want to just load characters that have actually been played recently (like 6 months) into memory, and leave the rest of them in the dark. That seems pretty simple. It wasn't. Suddenly guilds and alliances didn't load. Everyone started taking off all their gear and shoving it into their full backpacks. Server hampsters started a battle royale that ended up in a bloody duel between Vigo the Destroyer and Wild Billy Cid (Cid won, fyi). Of course Vigo wasn't happy about this, and kicked over the entire DB with his dying breath. That made troubleshooting a bit awkward, didn't notice for a couple minutes.

Things are fine now. Cid recruited a new harem of hampsters and is running happily on his wheel. Some people are still running around naked, because I don't understand you people. Your stuff is probably in your bag. Well if your bags were FULL then it's probably on the ground. Yes, I know you can't just drop things on the ground, obviously the ground is lava and that will destroy your items. Well I didn't take your gear off... not really. (Sorry mate).

That's my morning adventure so far. Time for coffee #2
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

Rodek

Post#726 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:56 pm

You just made my morning!

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Re: Server is Down

Post#727 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:07 am

Down she goes!

Looks like a bad one, probably need a special EU git to breathe some life into it.

Take a break, play something else. Hopefully we will get a patch onto it before she comes back online.

RANT

Post#728 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:23 am

You guys are awesome Wargrimnir! Thank you guys for all you do to allow us to hack each other to pieces online. Waaagh!

Ads
Darks63

Post#729 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:25 am

When i saw the NPCs disappearing I figured it would be bad TY Grimm.
Tourist SW 40/50+<Zaxxed> Discotec 40/40+<IRONIC>

Former Pragg/Badlands Destro Iron Rock/Badlands Order player.

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#730 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:40 am

Don't wait up. It's going to be down for a while. Currently middle of the night for our EU gents, and there's no guarantee the ones who can fix it will be diving right in at the crack of dawn. I would expect server to be online around 5am EST. Any earlier than that and we got lucky.

That of course is provided there's nothing actually wrong with it.