Recent Topics

Ads

Theft

The latest news from the battlefront.
Find out what the developers are working on.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
catholicism198

Re: Theft

Post#141 » Tue May 22, 2018 7:53 pm

Yaliskah wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 5:12 pm
Epo wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 4:54 pm
Yaliskah wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 4:51 pm

Let say Ror is a car. To build this car we had the noise made by the engine (packets) and a photogrphy (client). Thats all.
But you still need the car body (the aesthetic) which is the IP, which is what people are trying to put across. As there is no legal right to it.

Wrong. No need of the client to dev the server. But obviouly without a client a server become pointless... You could run the server without possessing the client. Where is the IP infringement then? But i see your point and we admit this project is placed in a grey area. As you can see, we don't use GW illustrations anymore, there is no mention of WARHAMMER anywhere to avoid any kind of confusion, we have a About page who explain CLEARLY our purpose and origins... and since 5 years, no one from GW has come here asking us to stop, even this project is well known by their side.
No, thankfully they haven't. But they could if they wanted to- as could ea and mythic... and I doubt that whole "well it's mostly our code and the game was kind of sort of f2p" will hold up in court- which is what people are saying and where the whole gray area comes in to play.

It sucks that azarael's and lando's code was stolen. They put a lot of time and effort to make this game better than it was.

Ads
Sedok

Post#142 » Tue May 22, 2018 7:56 pm

This is saddening to hear, and can only imagine how demoralizing it must be for the team that put their time, sweat, and blood into the project; I can only offer my condolences. My only worry, is that now that the code could become public, and multiple teams try to make their own server, how long till it attracts EA's attention? Hopefully, the other server does not last long and the code is forgotten about.

Avici wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 5:52 pm Just "preserving" the game will make the people bored and fed up. A theme park MMO like WAR needs constant new stuff to keep people playing.

Not entirely true in WAR's case, as RvR is primarily "sand-box" content; yes, there are pre-determined battlefield objectives, zones are locked in a singular, specific way, and the campaign is a structured route to additional content, but its still up to the players to jump into the lake, to skirmish, to form groups and warbands, to organize and lead them, to push the zone, to choose which BOs to attack/defend, to lock the zone, and to make a determined push for city.
Live: Karak-Azgal = Sedok, Golgaroth, Sakneth / Karak-Norn = Xnohrx, Alfriger, Volgarn / Vaul's Anvil = Alfriger, Volgarn, Dolgarn

RoR: Volgarn, Golgarn, Alfriger, Kelthazuul, Sedok

Frecky

Post#143 » Tue May 22, 2018 8:34 pm

This is my personal opinion, so do what you will with it, but I'm not exactly sure what "code" you are talking about. Forgive me if I am wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the Warhammer code is a public code, it used to be a game. I could get the code if I really wanted to. But my personal opinion is that you guys turned this server into something that YOU guys wanted to see, and not what most people wanted. I wouldn't lash out at people and call them pathetic, they are just trying to make a game that people can have fun on. There will be players that aren't "pathetic and sad" that play your server that will go over to that server, because, and I quote, they are making the game live-like, which many, MANY people will enjoy and have fun on.

saupreusse
Developer

Post#144 » Tue May 22, 2018 8:44 pm

Frecky wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 8:34 pm This is my personal opinion, so do what you will with it, but I'm not exactly sure what "code" you are talking about. Forgive me if I am wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the Warhammer code is a public code, it used to be a game. I could get the code if I really wanted to. But my personal opinion is that you guys turned this server into something that YOU guys wanted to see, and not what most people wanted. I wouldn't lash out at people and call them pathetic, they are just trying to make a game that people can have fun on. There will be players that aren't "pathetic and sad" that play your server that will go over to that server, because, and I quote, they are making the game live-like, which many, MANY people will enjoy and have fun on.
No you cant get the servers code if you really wanted to because electronic arts never gave it out but kept it closed. Every last line of server code has been written by the staff of ror and dyox.
And yes we have every right to lash out at people that stole code that was 100% property of the ror devs.

Martok

Post#145 » Tue May 22, 2018 8:56 pm

Sedok wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 7:56 pmMy only worry, is that now that the code could become public, and multiple teams try to make their own server, how long till it attracts EA's attention?

In context of your assertion I can't help but wonder if that may be the entire point, the other server being crafted as a metaphorical flare gun designed to draw attention ultimately leading to this server coming under increased scrutiny and eventual shutdown. Over time there have been more than one disgruntled player who made just such threats as they were shown the door.
Blame It On My ADD Baby...

Glorian

Post#146 » Tue May 22, 2018 8:58 pm

Frecky wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 8:34 pm This is my personal opinion, so do what you will with it, but I'm not exactly sure what "code" you are talking about. Forgive me if I am wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the Warhammer code is a public code,...
Please have a look here on nalgols description what they have written on 50.000 lines of new servercode alone to make it work.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26766&start=120#p302723

Bombs

Post#147 » Tue May 22, 2018 10:17 pm

shame people stoop to these levels but kids will be kids... RoR is a fantastic place and you guys are doing a great job... even if they do something... its gonna fail... look at the clowns and absolute asshats that are involved in it... every one of them been banned or exploited here anyway... they starting a new server so they can do that stuff and nobody can tell them they cant thats all it is... give it time... they will get themselves shut down... if they are this ignorant and blatantly open about it... then they will also be thier own downfall... ROR has my endless support... the work you have put in here is amazing and you should be more then proud of yourselves for it... someone stated in a previous post that thieves dont steal junk... they steal gold... perfect statement...
Best regards Wargrimnir and team,
Krunched

dtjror

Post#148 » Tue May 22, 2018 10:42 pm

Hargrim wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 4:08 pm The team is making this game and can make it however they want. Team is not your bitch and is not to catter to your particular idea of what WAR is or should be. This is sad, I know, but that's a reality.
And that right there, is essentially why the situation happened. Is it "bad" that somebody stole your "work" because they didn't agree with the vision/decisions of the rest of the "team"? Absolutely yes. But is it surprising that it happened and is there much that can be done about it (now) other than voice discontent? Absolutely no.

This is the private server scene. There are no guarantees, there are no binding promises. Loyalty only extends to the present moment. You could turn the game into something not even remotely resembling the original. You could shut the project down tomorrow. Someone can steal your code and start a rival project (if you allow them the access to do so). It's the wild wild west, and anything goes. This is sad I know, but that's reality.

Ads
MaxHayman
Management

Post#149 » Tue May 22, 2018 10:54 pm

darude83 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 1:16 pm So if we're following your logic, you'd have to accuse the RoR Team, why they didn't rebuild the warhammer client from the ground up, designed their own graphics, classes, etc?
I had started a simple engine rewrite.
Max Hayman

Cylwen

Post#150 » Tue May 22, 2018 11:13 pm

MY OPINION
  • Well done to all the team for getting this project running, and for the service you provide.
  • I experienced playing on live for a few years as an FTP twinkie and later a subscriber with only one toon making it to 40. My experience is that this project version is much better than live. The regular updates and the active community are really positive aspects of the game. This project should create a living game that changes and evolves to make a much better experience.
  • Any competitor cannot detract from what you have achieved here.
    I hope the team can continue their work, continue to build and grow this project.
I love this game and the server community. Thank you to the RoR staff.