Recent Topics

Ads

Theft

The latest news from the battlefront.
Find out what the developers are working on.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Frecky

Re: Theft

Post#161 » Wed May 23, 2018 2:35 am

saupreusse wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 8:44 pm
Frecky wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 8:34 pm This is my personal opinion, so do what you will with it, but I'm not exactly sure what "code" you are talking about. Forgive me if I am wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the Warhammer code is a public code, it used to be a game. I could get the code if I really wanted to. But my personal opinion is that you guys turned this server into something that YOU guys wanted to see, and not what most people wanted. I wouldn't lash out at people and call them pathetic, they are just trying to make a game that people can have fun on. There will be players that aren't "pathetic and sad" that play your server that will go over to that server, because, and I quote, they are making the game live-like, which many, MANY people will enjoy and have fun on.
No you cant get the servers code if you really wanted to because electronic arts never gave it out but kept it closed. Every last line of server code has been written by the staff of ror and dyox.
And yes we have every right to lash out at people that stole code that was 100% property of the ror devs.
Okay, like I said, forgive me if I was wrong... I respect that they wrote their own codes and everything, but they had something to base it on as the game was previously live. If they actually wrote their own codes for their own game instead of making something of another game, I would feel sympathy for them, but it's warhammer and it's decently easy to write these codes. I've written codes for 20+ years and I could write warhammer codes if I sat here and actually tried. But, I do see your point of view on this and I respect your opinion.

Ads
Frecky

Post#162 » Wed May 23, 2018 2:37 am

Frecky wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 8:34 pm This is my personal opinion, so do what you will with it, but I'm not exactly sure what "code" you are talking about. Forgive me if I am wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the Warhammer code is a public code, it used to be a game. I could get the code if I really wanted to. But my personal opinion is that you guys turned this server into something that YOU guys wanted to see, and not what most people wanted. I wouldn't lash out at people and call them pathetic, they are just trying to make a game that people can have fun on. There will be players that aren't "pathetic and sad" that play your server that will go over to that server, because, and I quote, they are making the game live-like, which many, MANY people will enjoy and have fun on.
No you cant get the servers code if you really wanted to because electronic arts never gave it out but kept it closed. Every last line of server code has been written by the staff of ror and dyox.
And yes we have every right to lash out at people that stole code that was 100% property of the ror devs.
Also, this new "server" is supposed to be live-like, and leveling is not supposed to be cancer like it is on RoR. I can't play with any of my buddies because it takes them weeks to get to 40 and decently geared which sucks imo but it is what it is, I don't really have any say in it. Any source of XP has been nerfed into the ground and buried without a headstone to remember it.

Scottx125

Post#163 » Wed May 23, 2018 3:39 am

I don't like the idea that this person stole code. However I also didn't like the fact that there was only one way a Warhammer Online server was being done. It's true your devs had a monopoly on the Warhammer Online private server area. And whilst I know this isn't done for money. It does mean that what changes the devs decide go and if they disagree with lets say a popular demand for a change, there's nothing any of us can do about it. Now none of this excuses the theft of code, if it was up to me I'd be happy to find the person and order a public stoning. However it's too late for that and the best thing that can be done is to ban the thief responsible. All we can hope for is that maybe this tragic act leads to something better in the future for everyone.
Spoiler:
Seiigfrid RR 8X WP | Arthasus RR 7X KOTBS | Zalthazar RR 5X BW
For the Gif in it's full glory:
Now a member of Oath.

Rydiak

Post#164 » Wed May 23, 2018 3:42 am

Scottx125 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 3:39 am I don't like the idea that this person stole code. However I also didn't like the fact that there was only one way a Warhammer Online server was being done. It's true your devs had a monopoly on the Warhammer Online private server area. And whilst I know this isn't done for money. It does mean that what changes the devs decide go and if they disagree with lets say a popular demand for a change, there's nothing any of us can do about it. Now none of this excuses the theft of code, if it was up to me I'd be happy to find the person and order a public stoning. However it's too late for that and the best thing that can be done is to ban the thief responsible. All we can hope for is that maybe this tragic act leads to something better in the future for everyone.
WAREmu has been available for years, for free, as open source. Why didn't anyone else start their own server from scratch then? Hard to talk about a "monopoly" when the tools are available to all.

There is no excuse for code theft.
Interested in the Grace playstyle but don't know where to start? Check out my Grace guide!

Check out my Damage Calculator. Also includes extra RoR calculators! -Updated for 01/25/24 patch!

Flavorburst

Post#165 » Wed May 23, 2018 5:09 am

Frecky wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 2:35 am
Okay, like I said, forgive me if I was wrong... I respect that they wrote their own codes and everything, but they had something to base it on as the game was previously live. If they actually wrote their own codes for their own game instead of making something of another game, I would feel sympathy for them, but it's warhammer and it's decently easy to write these codes. I've written codes for 20+ years and I could write warhammer codes if I sat here and actually tried. But, I do see your point of view on this and I respect your opinion.
At first, you don't know what "code" they are talking about, then you are suddenly an expert with 20+ years of experience.

If it's so easy, then do it.

Here you go: https://github.com/WarEmu

Can't wait to see what you come up with using your 20+ years of experience.

Also, please remember to either update the repo, or publish your code so that I can make a server of my own when I don't like yours (but still use your assets because I can't be bothered to make my own).

Thanks in advance!

Wdova

Post#166 » Wed May 23, 2018 5:11 am

Jaycub wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 2:31 am You guys had the monopoly on WAR servers for so long, but utterly pissed it away. Az completely mismanaged the whole situation going crazy with class and RvR balance while waiting for londo or whoever to finish key items for getting forts/cities done.

Az was at least a reasonable person, but in writing the server's rules he did not at all account for people who would abuse them. The "don't be a ****" rule is such a joke it's not even funny. It's so open to interpretation that if someone wanted to trap someone in that they could. If github was the GM online the rules were different, or if torq was online the rules again were different.

Az also set up the stupid idea that the staff was elevated completely above the players as gods and we were just 3rd class citizens. Of course you get people after Az left that were complete power junkies and just used this as an excuse to turn WAR into their personal world. This was Az's project and he **** cratered it plain and simple.

WAR isn't some D&D weekly meetup, it's an MMO that requires a huge playerbase in order to function, but RoR was and is still being run like a small ingroup with randos just being allowed to great privileged of playing on their server. No one want's that feeling. And the cherry on top of all of this is that RoR is really at this point a "custom server" deviating so far from live it's almost unrecognizable. Not as much as say a naruto shippuden WoW RP server but enough to turn a lot of people off from it.

Content post Az leaving also really dried up, maybe I and others would of put up with the feeling of being a 3rd class citizen on the server if it got real content updates that made sense or progressed towards finishing the content from live.

I don't know what to say other than you created an environment where hundreds of players are excited for a server being ran by who knows probably using stolen source and regardless of the level of content it is attractive to them based solely on the fact that the staff at RoR is NOT running it. God forbid this server get's real content like cities or endgame dungeons pushed out faster than you guys.

This competition is the best thing that could of possibly happened to the playerbase as a whole. I understand the amount of work a lot of people still around on RoR put it, but you guys in my eyes at least really blew it and it's time to lie in the bed you made.
Jaycub You cannt be serious. So ungratefull,so toxic..... You probably dont understand whats going on. The other server would not be run by devs who spent thousands of hours of coding. It would be run by those who scammed these devs.Not to mention the fact, that if other server gets live and thief devs ask for donations, the return of warhammer online bubble will be enden in few hours by GW.....
Pigbutcher - Choppa RR80+
Cyplenkov - Marauder RR80+
Vdova - Witch elf RR80+

Hajzl - Swordmaster RR80+
Roznetka - Engineer RR70+

Frecky

Post#167 » Wed May 23, 2018 5:18 am

Flavorburst wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 5:09 am
At first, you don't know what "code" they are talking about, then you are suddenly an expert with 20+ years of experience.

If it's so easy, then do it.

Here you go: https://github.com/WarEmu

Can't wait to see what you come up with using your 20+ years of experience.

Also, please remember to either update the repo, or publish your code so that I can make a server of my own when I don't like yours (but still use your assets because I can't be bothered to make my own).

Thanks in advance!
When this new server comes out, and you're still playing this dead server that can't compete we'll see who's having more fun lol. Idk why i'd go make a server when a new one that is said to be live-like is coming out. This server only has a good player base because it is a monopoly server, and there is only one out. It can't compete. The GM's and DEV's have **** it beyond repair. So we'll see where you are a week after Apoc comes out when RoR has 20 pop. There's already over 400 people in the discord and that's more than RoR has ever seen. GLHF in 2-3 weeks

NoRKaLKiLLa

Post#168 » Wed May 23, 2018 5:21 am

Writes code for 20 years
Is only 17 years old

Ads
Frecky

Post#169 » Wed May 23, 2018 5:22 am

NoRKaLKiLLa wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 5:21 am

Writes code for 20 years
Is only 17 years old

Who?

sancra

Post#170 » Wed May 23, 2018 5:29 am

Hello,

I don't want to deny the enormous work accomplished by the team, but as an open source guy, I feel that each open source based application should publish its code, for multiple reasons, philosophy, security and so on.

Without the open sourced base you had, maybe this project would have never existed.

I will not comment about the leak you had, we don't know all the story, as we got your version only. To me the code belongs to everybody in the project, coders, designers, testers, and even some highly participating players, as all of them have spent time on this project.

Maybe I would like to be able to run my own server for testing and maybe create a project, based on your source but with my settings, more scenario based for example, why is it an issue ?

Last word, thanks to the whole team members for their heavy work and dedication, to me the most important fact is you have delivered a lot of pleasure to many people, all around the world, forget anything else.

Thanks again, for the past and the future.

Kind regards,