Recent Topics

Ads

Ranked Season 2 - Results & Insights

The latest news from the battlefront.
Find out what the developers are working on.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Bloodmasked

Re: Ranked Season 2 - Results & Insights

Post#31 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:15 am

DELETE SOLO RANKED 2022

Ads
Bloodmasked

Post#32 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:19 am

Caduceus wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:24 am Even though I've seen people say it wasn't a problem, I think stream sniping, queue stacking, queue dodging etc. was a serious issue.

Matchmaking has to be as random as possible to function properly, but in the last season it was very easy to gather outside information on one's next matches.

This basically created a system where weaker players were preyed on and relentlessly farmed. Names of these players were readily shared as soon as they logged on.

The Ranked discord server is a large part of what made this possible, and even though that server did good things for Ranked as well, I am not convinced it amounted to a net positive.

It is also the lack of seperation ("bracketing") between players of different skill levels which made it possible to fish for matches against easy opponents. This is why I've argued from the beginning that some sort of beginner bracket is needed to resolve at least the worst of the skill imbalances. 0-999 was simply too large of a bracket given the size of the population, and mixed players that could easily have reached 1k MMR (given more games played) with players who would never have a hope of even getting positive MMR.
Solo ranked is basically a huge joke where noobs parade their mmr as if it means anything when half the matches are thrown by players who don't even assist or press the guard button.

Solo ranked players are just dodging group ranked.

Caduceus

Post#33 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:06 am

Bloodmasked wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:19 am
Solo ranked is basically a huge joke where noobs parade their mmr as if it means anything when half the matches are thrown by players who don't even assist or press the guard button.

Everyone can have their opinion on Solo and Group Ranked, but I'd like to make two points in light of your comment:

1. Success in Solo Ranked requires a high level of skill, especially to get to the very top. If one player on the team does not have a sufficient grasp of their role, chances are this player alone will lose you the match. Ranked, whether it be Solo or Group, puts a much larger demand on individual player skill than other modes of play, and offers little excuses.

It is easy for high-level players to get accustomed to this level of dedication, knowledge and skill and consider everyone else a noob, but it is not indicative of the average RoR player at all.

2. I have a full-time job and run a guild for new players. I don't have the time nor the connections to get a 6-man together that consists of the types of player that could achieve success in Group Ranked. I wish I did. I imagine many are in a similar position and are unable to dedicate their every waking hour to playing Ranked.

Again, if you take a step back and take a look at the whole picture of RoR, you will find that this typification of Solo Ranked players as lazy or unskilled just doesn't hold up.

The reason I wrote a serious reply to your comment (which I assume is a bit exaggerated on purpose) is because I believe this disconnect with the wider playerbase of RoR is exactly what caused Ranked to be designed in a way that alienates the majority of players and kept it from being successful.
"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream; that's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving." - Colonel Walter E. Kurtz

Bloodmasked

Post#34 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:22 am

Caduceus wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:06 am
Bloodmasked wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:19 am

Everyone can have their opinion on Solo and Group Ranked, but I'd like to make two points in light of your comment:

1. Success in Solo Ranked requires a high level of skill, especially to get to the very top. If one player on the team does not have a sufficient grasp of their role, chances are this player alone will lose you the match. Ranked, whether it be Solo or Group, puts a much larger demand on individual player skill than other modes of play, and offers little excuses.

It is easy for high-level players to get accustomed to this level of dedication, knowledge and skill and consider everyone else a noob, but it is not indicative of the average RoR player at all.

2. I have a full-time job and run a guild for new players. I don't have the time nor the connections to get a 6-man together that consists of the types of player that could achieve success in Group Ranked. I wish I did. I imagine many are in a similar position and are unable to dedicate their every waking hour to playing Ranked.

Again, if you take a step back and take a look at the whole picture of RoR, you will find that this typification of Solo Ranked players as lazy or unskilled just doesn't hold up.

The reason I wrote a serious reply to your comment (which I assume is a bit exaggerated on purpose) is because I believe this disconnect with the wider playerbase of RoR is exactly what caused Ranked to be designed in a way that alienates the majority of players and kept it from being successful.
if you suck at the game, then don't play a competitive mode. literally makes zero sense to try and argue that a mode called "RANKED" should be targeted toward a casual audience. go play regular scenarios.

Fenris78

Post#35 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:45 am

Bloodmasked wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:22 am if you suck at the game, then don't play a competitive mode. literally makes zero sense to try and argue that a mode called "RANKED" should be targeted toward a casual audience. go play regular scenarios.
Fact is, there are not enough "hardcore" players to make ranked alive, saving maybe a very small group on each side to trade wins in team mode.

If you cut off 95% of your playerbase, nobody will play, and nobody get opponents to fight against.

Ranked need casuals to be involved on a regular basis, like it or not it's the thruth.

If you want to reserve the hardcore mode to the tryhard players only, the "elite" you seem to praise, I'm ok with that.
Just play it without rewards, and dont restrict gear to 5% of playerbase.

merkin

Post#36 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:27 pm

Congratulations to those who won their class and to those who won additional awards. Well deserved.

skylinx

Post#37 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:37 pm

Maybe getting rid of MMR altogether might be the best way forward and just making it a free for all

maybe introducing 'negative' mmr because theres certain primetime players on classes that should over perform, these player do not. so if a sc popped and im on my SM and a certain IB was in there, its game over, the IB would guard 1 dps and stand there, so we had no punt and no guard swap.

i think there needs to be a factor of player/class in these discussions. so, for example, one particular day i got paired up with a BW for 5 out of 6 games in a 2 hour period. he said he had a kobs in the top 5 but we didnt win a match out of those 5 on his BW. not his fault but shows you can be a good player on a bad class for 6v6.
my point is, those players who play less favourable classes should be able to get to the top, those player who play over performing classes, should also be able to get less favourable classes to the top too

i think the gear gap is too wide for every rank 40+ essentailly to join vs a full BiS r80+. Ive suggested previously that maybe make it so that everyone joins from the arenas and that whe you join the arena as a waiting area, everyone gets debolstered to minimum gear requirements, so for example if thats conq, then you can min max conq/dom with sc weapons and any pve gear but max rr45 gear and let ppl fight on the same terms. also limit career points to rr45 and renown points to rr45.

zulnam

Post#38 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:23 am

theoddone wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:47 pm What does ranked need the most atm? People.

What do people need to be motivated to play? Rewards.

What happens when people can not get the rewards? They don't play.

So what do the pugs need atm in ranked? The hope of getting rewards. Without any hope of getting rewards, pugs won't play.
Or, you know, people could be nice and supportive and patient and not act like entitled little brats the moment someone joins who doesn't know exactly what they're doing and dies, making the environment friendly and welcoming which would result in more people joining.

Nah, that would mean we have to do the work. Best leave it to the devs.
SW, Kotbs, IB, Slayer, WP, WL, SM, Mara, SH, BG

Ads
Ninjagon

Post#39 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:16 am

"Bright wizards are fine. They don't need any changes."
Ninjab - The White Lion. No Destruction character. RETRIBUTION guild.
Also: Velmires - WP, Carnow - KotbS, Ninjagon - BW, Nynja - SW, Stin - WH, and others.
Spoiler:

Bloodmasked

Post#40 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:57 am

Fenris78 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:45 am
Bloodmasked wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:22 am if you suck at the game, then don't play a competitive mode. literally makes zero sense to try and argue that a mode called "RANKED" should be targeted toward a casual audience. go play regular scenarios.
Fact is, there are not enough "hardcore" players to make ranked alive, saving maybe a very small group on each side to trade wins in team mode.

If you cut off 95% of your playerbase, nobody will play, and nobody get opponents to fight against.

Ranked need casuals to be involved on a regular basis, like it or not it's the thruth.

If you want to reserve the hardcore mode to the tryhard players only, the "elite" you seem to praise, I'm ok with that.
Just play it without rewards, and dont restrict gear to 5% of playerbase.
heres the truth: if you suck at the game, then don't play a competitive mode. literally makes zero sense to try and argue that a mode called "RANKED" should be targeted toward a casual audience. go play regular scenarios.