Recent Topics

Ads

Game assets but current gen.

Creative minds can display their work here, from images and videos to custom addons and other software applications related to RoR or War.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
anarchypark

Re: Game assets but current gen.

Post#11 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:15 pm

anyone know what's that beast head showing in dwarven theme ?
roof, mailbox, helm, armor etc.
it looks like vikings. but that's not warhammer dwarf.. or am i missing something?

if you can make more dwarftic trademarks it will be great.
SM8, SW8, AM8, WL7, KoBS5, BW5, WP8, WH7, IB7, Eng5, RP5, SL6
BG8, Sorc8, DoK8, WE7, Chs8, Mg8, Ze7, Mara8, BO6, SH7, Shm5, Chop4
SC summary - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20415
( last update : 2020.06.09)

Ads
NSKaneda

Post#12 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:07 pm

anarchypark wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:15 pm anyone know what's that beast head showing in dwarven theme ?
roof, mailbox, helm, armor etc.
it looks like vikings. but that's not warhammer dwarf.. or am i missing something?

if you can make more dwarftic trademarks it will be great.
You mean Ancestors and Ancestor Gods? Or the dragon motif?
RoR: Burszui SH, Ropopuch SHM<|[]|>Ginnar IB, Vidarr HMR, Runatyr RP ++ REV guild ++
Live: Karak Izor -> Karak Norn - Yarpaen IB, Ginnarr SL, Volundr ENG +Ithilmar's Chosen+
* * * playing 19 classes - running out of char slots * * *

TomSeas

Post#13 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:11 pm

Do you mean the head on top?
Dwarves are often associated with rams and dragons (other animals like boars,ravens too).
And their culture is heavily based on viking/norse culture as well. A lot of their runes are just copies from norse runes for instance.
The table top warhammer dwarves have some of that imagery in there tool, so it's no surprise the game has it as well.

In this case it's the most iconic part of the original so I kept the general look of it so far. My goal is to pay homage to it while changing some parts. Hopefully that makes sense.
I tried adding more dwarven elements on the bottom with the runes and carved face as well as the carving with the envelope to balance things out.

edit: I'm saying this not to disregard your feedback, but rather explain my thought process and why I make some choices. I'm always open to feedback :)

anarchypark

Post#14 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:18 am

ty for reply!
i was not familiar with dwarven lore and not good at english.
your work is great specially rune carvings. probably my personal taste.
was just curious about dragon(?) heads motif from original design.
thought dragon was elf thing.

after search
maybe it's pet companion for elves, hunting trophy for dwarves.
SM8, SW8, AM8, WL7, KoBS5, BW5, WP8, WH7, IB7, Eng5, RP5, SL6
BG8, Sorc8, DoK8, WE7, Chs8, Mg8, Ze7, Mara8, BO6, SH7, Shm5, Chop4
SC summary - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20415
( last update : 2020.06.09)

TomSeas

Post#15 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:52 am

No problem :)

I see the dragon as several things.
A trophy hunt icon. The table top game even had normal slayers called giant slayers and then elite guys called dragon slayers I think.
And an icon for the dwarven industry. As if all the forges are fired by dragon fire. Think Smaug and how things were portrayed in one of the hobbit movies if you've seen those.

Whyumadbro

Post#16 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:59 am

this mailbox is just amazing! you using blender ? Hope to see this in game soon :D

Fenris78

Post#17 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:03 am

Nice work !

Nonetheless, dont forget the model need to be converted to low-poly before being used ingame, and sadly since the game engine do not support normals/bump/displacement maps, many details may probably be lost in the process, unless faking them directly in the diffuse texture (rivets, small recesses and such).

Maybe you can bake details into a bump map, and start from there to color it and build the diffuse instead.

TomSeas

Post#18 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:13 pm

I use blender for box modeling, and Zbrush for the sculpting.

I'm aware the model isn't usable in it's current state. This is just the High poly sculpt. The goal is to make a realtime piece so I still have to retopologize and all that.
This project isn't intended to be added to the game. The game uses tech that is outdated by today's standards. As you said no normal maps and so on. You could bake the normal detail into the diffuse. If the team thinks they can use my work and turn in into a version useable in the game they can do so. I have a backlog to go through, but I'm planning on making all my project files available for free so if they find someone who can tweak it that would be totally cool.

This is really just me making a prop from a franchise I love, and from a game that has an amazing esthetic :)

Ads
TomSeas

Post#19 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:18 pm

Thanks for all the kind words everyone by the way :)

Current state of things. If there are things that stand out as weird, let me know

Rieku

Post#20 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:51 am

Great stuff!! would that look the same ingame? I wonder if it would be possible to "upgrade" the graphics a bit. I know the game is run in a very old engine but maybe adding some shadows and redoing some textures?

edit: ok forget my first question, I missed the second page :)