Recent Topics

Ads

RoR on a mobile device

Problems installing or downloading the game? Check the Install Guide first.
Forum rules
READ THE INSTALL GUIDE BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS SUBFORUM.

The stickies exist to handle common queries. Save our time and yours by reading them first.

Thank you.
tazdingo

RoR on a mobile device

Post#1 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:49 am

hello friends

my current job involves constant travel. it's nothing flashy i just have to stay in a lot of b&b's or sleep in the van. naturally this makes playing an mmo very difficult, so i'm trying to come up with a solution

internet, i have figured, i just signed up to like 3 mobile routers with 10gb a month each and they seem to be fine latency wise. i've read numerous articles and 10 - 15gb should be fine for med-heavy mmo usage, so i should be comfortable with 30gb

it's a rig i'm struggling with. i have my laptop, but the battery only last about 2 hours with a fullscreen game running (5 without.) i bought some spare batteries, but as pathetic as it sounds it's a hell of a weight to carry round when you travel so much. also having to charge 4/5 batteries every day is extremely time consuming and tiresome. i do not always have access to an outlet, we sleep in cars and camp quite often because i'm a tramp and hotels are expensive these days

i know there exist laptops with 11+hr battery lives (i'm guessing that would actually be 5/6 with ror running...), notably some high end thinkpads, but the weight problem would get even worse. also, i'm assuming (but do not know) that an "11hr" capacity battery would take much longer to charge than an average one, thus compounding this problem

so, i'm looking at tablets. they have a few standout upsides. one is a 10+hr battery life as standard (with peripherals, wifi and game running, probably 4/5 hours.) another is that they can be charged via commercial power banks (30,000 seems enough to full charge an average tablet.) now carrying around a tablet and two 30,000 power banks would be no problem at all. for playability, i would connect a mouse and use one of those tablet keyboard cases, essentially turning it into a laptop that can be dismantled for much easier transportation

so, my question is does anybody have any experience running ror on a tablet or similar device? finding benchmarks is proving difficult. i can shoot for the high end stuff. as an example (i don't really know much about tablets so i just looked at the popular stuff) the new 12' ipad. the specs seem alright but i'm not really a hardware guy. does anyone know if this will be sufficient?

also if anyone had any real numbers for ror data usage that would be awesome as well

many thanks

Ads
Lileldys

Re: RoR on a mobile device

Post#2 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:31 am

Usually, Anything with a Modern Intel CPU will have Intel HD Graphics 630 , enough to run this. Might struggle in populated areas(but then thats every PC).

If you have Windows 10, search for "Data Usage" in the start menu. It'll give you an Ethernet/WiFi data usage breakdown.

I had to run on 4g the other day as my line went down, and it used about 5mb in 20-30minutes just on RoR

tazdingo

Post#3 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:47 am

Lileldys wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:31 am I had to run on 4g the other day as my line went down, and it used about 5mb in 20-30minutes just on RoR
wow that usage actually sounds really low. was it ok latency wise?

Lileldys

Post#4 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:55 am

Pings are fine, even with 3/5 bars. 40-50ms from the UK on a 4G connection. (Server is in France)

Games don't use much data, Patches + Media(images and videos) will eat up most of the data.

saupreusse
Developer

Post#5 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:12 pm

Video games dont take a lot of data in my experience. I used a vpn in league of legends and it only used a few mb per game (30 to 50 min)

MaxHayman
Management

Post#6 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:09 pm

tazdingo wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:49 am as an example (i don't really know much about tablets so i just looked at the popular stuff) the new 12' ipad.
Look out for tablets, inc iPads. They are ARM based, which WAR cannot run on as its x86. Also make sure the device can run windows.
Max Hayman

charlysixb

Post#7 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:20 pm

what about microsoft surface pro? I5 or I7 proc, Intel HD Integrated, Windows OS. Expensive as hell too. ( i always wanted to have one sniff sniff /cry )
Peckman And Chifli's

Gobboz Night Fever

dansari

Post#8 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:22 pm

I've played RoR on my Surface Pro 4 before. Nothing to write home about, but you can do it. Handles the game just fine. I despise Apple products so nothing to report there.
<Salt Factory>

Ads
ChicagoJoe

Post#9 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:49 pm

Try a new Ryzen 2500 or 2700 laptop. You can find for under $500 sometimes, but may not be 1080p. Should get you 5-7hrs of gaming and usually are charged through a USB C cord. I have recharged my non Ryzen USB C laptop when off with a powerbank USB to USB C, not sure if it charges when on.

I think graphics are on par with a 1050 card at lower power consumption, so plenty of graphics power.
primary IB 8X, EN8X, WP7X, SL7X, KOTBS6X, and a bunch of under rr60 toons on order and destro with other classes.

Sulorie

Post#10 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:50 pm

5-7h are realistic for video playback but not gaming load, even if WAR is an old game.
Dying is no option.