Recent Topics

Ads

FPS Drops When Game Is Not Active

Problems installing or downloading the game? Check the Install Guide first.
Forum rules
READ THE INSTALL GUIDE BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS SUBFORUM.

The stickies exist to handle common queries. Save our time and yours by reading them first.

Thank you.
MrCringe56

FPS Drops When Game Is Not Active

Post#1 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:08 pm

Hello,

So, im going to do my best to explain what is happening.

Firstly, lets start by letting you guys know I'm rocking 2 monitors. So, my main monitor is running this game and my other monitor has my browsers and other stuff on it....

So mainly use boarder-less full screen so I'm able to use my other monitor without the game closing and in all other games the fps isn't effected like it is in this one. When i use my other monitor the game goes below 10 fps when i click back in the game it goes back up to 80 which is what i have it set to....

Anyways, i would like to figure out how to stop this fps drop issue? When using my other monitor
Last edited by MrCringe56 on Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ads
saupreusse
Developer

Re: FPS Drops When Game Is Not Active

Post#2 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:13 pm

MrCringe56 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:08 pm Hello,

So, im going to do my best to explain what is happening.

Firstly, lets start by letting you guys know I'm rocking 2 monitors. So, my main monitor is running this game and my other monitor has my browsers and other stuff on it....

So mainly use boarder-less full screen so I'm able to use my other monitor without the game closing and in all other games the fps isn't effected like it is in this one. When i use my other monitor the game goes below 10 fps when i click back in the game it goes back up to 80 which is what i have it set to....

Anyways, i would like to figure out how to stop this fps drop issue?
I believe theres a setting in the advanced graphics settings tab for this. Or is there? Maybe im mixing up different games atm. Im pretty sure ive seen this setting before, just not sure if it was in war :?
Edit: it was overwatch and the setting was called "background fps". Maybe you can find something similar in war if you search through the settings.

Natherul
Former Staff

Post#3 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:16 pm

Windows can detect if a window is in the foreground or background regardless of your settings in the game and many games do in fact cap FPS at a lower rate when in background as why should it run at max? your obviously focused elsewhere.

This is a feature as I said that many games implement as a QoL thing to help you get a little performance on whatever is your actual focus (say tabbing out of game to search something online or whatever else).

I cant say (because I have not looked into it) if thats what our game client does or not but its a high chance and if so, with no toggle in options I doubt you can change that.

MrCringe56

Post#4 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:39 pm

I'm sorry everyone but i don't have this issue with other games even older ones then This Game.....And its a deal breaker this is a must for me if the game doesn't have it then won't be streaming the game might play it in my off time but was hoping to stream it but can't when i use my second monitor and the game drops below 10 fps lawls.

saupreusse
Developer

Post#5 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:15 pm

MrCringe56 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:39 pm I'm sorry everyone but i don't have this issue with other games even older ones then This Game.....And its a deal breaker this is a must for me if the game doesn't have it then won't be streaming the game might play it in my off time but was hoping to stream it but can't when i use my second monitor and the game drops below 10 fps lawls.
Well its a feature that devs put in to save on resources. I know overwatch, nearly all source games, guild wars and warhammer have this feature. I dont really see a problem tbh :p. If youre on the other monitor, youre not gaming anyways, so whats the big deal? O.O

MrCringe56

Post#6 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:42 pm

saupreusse wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:15 pm
MrCringe56 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:39 pm I'm sorry everyone but i don't have this issue with other games even older ones then This Game.....And its a deal breaker this is a must for me if the game doesn't have it then won't be streaming the game might play it in my off time but was hoping to stream it but can't when i use my second monitor and the game drops below 10 fps lawls.
Well its a feature that devs put in to save on resources. I know overwatch, nearly all source games, guild wars and warhammer have this feature. I dont really see a problem tbh :p. If youre on the other monitor, youre not gaming anyways, so whats the big deal? O.O
the big deal is the stream lags when its goes below 30fps.....so i won't be able to multitask switching between both monitors using my mouse and yes i can do this in GW2 fine....

saupreusse
Developer

Post#7 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:32 pm

Ahh i see. I can only tell that from a viewers pov its not annoying at all. Ive been watching lots of war streams and never had an issue with the background fps drops :). I would give it a go if i were you. Most war viewers know about it and wont mind the low fps when youre idling and switching screens as long as youre back to normal once you have some action going on.