Recent Topics

Ads

[Linux] How To Install Return of Reckoning

Problems installing or downloading the game? Check the Install Guide first.
Forum rules
READ THE INSTALL GUIDE BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS SUBFORUM.

The stickies exist to handle common queries. Save our time and yours by reading them first.

Thank you.
xpander
Community Management

Re: [Linux] How To Install Return of Reckoning

Post#241 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:26 pm

ycuken11 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:20 pm
NVIDIA® GeForce® 310M

It's an old laptop (from 2011 I think), I'm pretty sure I used to play the original AoR on it.

I'm also not at all familiar with Linux, it was an experiment and now I'm stuck with it

Sorry to say, but this ancient hardware doesn't even support newer nvidia drivers that are compatible with recent kernel or Xorg.
So you must be using opensource drivers which dont support vulkan. First post under troubleshooting, theres a description how to remove DXVK( Vulkan support) and use the regular wined3d (OpenGL), which should in theory work with your GPU, but might not.

you might also need to add MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.5 into the lutris environmental settings
Spoiler:

to make it easier for you to remove DXVK:

1) in Lutris when Warhammer Online is activated. navigate to the small arrow on the bottom and take wine configuration:
Spoiler:
2) remove d3d11, d3d9 d3d10 and dxgi from that list:
Spoiler:
now depending on what distro you are, make sure 32bit mesa drivers are installed. on Arch/Manjaro and the likes its lib32-mesa, on ubuntu and the likes i think its mesa:i386, check your distro documentation how to enable 32bit support i guess
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Install guide for Windows
Offical RoR Discord

AUR package for WARAddonClient

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Linux Gaming Videos

Ads
ycuken11

Post#242 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:06 pm

xpander wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:26 pm
Sorry to say, but this ancient hardware doesn't even support newer nvidia drivers that are compatible with recent kernel or Xorg.
So you must be using opensource drivers which dont support vulkan. First post under troubleshooting, theres a description how to remove DXVK( Vulkan support) and use the regular wined3d (OpenGL), which should in theory work with your GPU, but might not.

you might also need to add MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.5 into the lutris environmental settings
Spoiler:

to make it easier for you to remove DXVK:

1) in Lutris when Warhammer Online is activated. navigate to the small arrow on the bottom and take wine configuration:
Spoiler:
2) remove d3d11, d3d9 d3d10 and dxgi from that list:
Spoiler:
now depending on what distro you are, make sure 32bit mesa drivers are installed. on Arch/Manjaro and the likes its lib32-mesa, on ubuntu and the likes i think its mesa:i386, check your distro documentation how to enable 32bit support i guess
Thank you so much for your prompt and detailed reply. I tried it all in reverse order. With the 4.5 thing the launcher actually launched, but was all white and glitchy, it immediately started verifying and downloading files. Eventually my PC just froze and I turned it off.

Today I tried launching it and succeeded! However, the game was all glitchy too, lots of blinking and artifacts, basically unplayable, although I could see that fps was okayish (background animations in the menu at least).

Then I did the override removal thing. It did nothing. Was I correct to remove only what you listed but to keep things like d3dx9_(number)?

My next step was actually using the proprietary driver. It worked in a sense that the launcher now works perfectly well, no glitches. However, the game does not start at all. I tried both 32 and 64 bit versions in the launcher.

I have also installed that mesa thing I think (libgl1-mesa-glx:i386).

I'm running Ubuntu. I don't know what to do next, but I don't want to give up now that I've seen the game starting. If you have any advice I would highly appreciate it.

xpander
Community Management

Post#243 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:39 pm

yes you need to keep d3dx9 things..well d3dx9_34 is the important one there thats needed.
32bit and 64bit from launcher are actually both 32bit. its just stupid naming there..only difference is that 64bit is uncapped fps (which can break animations) 32bit is 100FPS capped.

well if you removed those files and still have same glitches then it has to be a gpu driver issue sadly. Just to make sure, in the Lutris configuration Runner Options tab . Make sure DXVK is not Enabled from it.

other than that im kinda out of ideas. Just i think that the drivers for this GPU aren't decent enough for the dx9 to opengl or vulkan translation. but might be something else is just missing..hard to say without logs.

would be nice if you can enable debug logging in lutris configurations and paste a full log when trying to start the game, into pastebin.com and link it here, so maybe i can spot something.

edit: would be nice if you can join our discord (the link is in my signature to find it), so it will be faster way to check whats going wrong on your system. I will be around tomorrow (thursday) from 19:00 CET (Central Europe Time)

edit2: what i would do.
1.Get your nvidia 340 drivers installed, both 32bit and 64bit. Those ancient drivers don't support vulkan though.
2. Reinstall Warhammer with Lutris and do not touch any Lutris settings.
3. Go to the wine configuration and remove. d3d11, d3d9, d3d10core and dxgi overrides. Do Not remove anything else.
4: try to launch it.
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Offical RoR Discord

My Linux Gaming Videos

CannonFodder1

Post#244 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:51 am

Took a bit of a break, downloaded the big patch with the new cities. After the download is complete the launcher "connect" button will not highlight and cant enter the game, also the patch notes box is empty. The forum button does work. Using Linux on an old laptop, but was running great before. Any Ideas

CannonFodder1

Post#245 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:12 am

Also when restarting the launcher from lutris, its restarts the download

xpander
Community Management

Post#246 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:13 am

Depends how long you were away. Theres a quite big download. New cities got added.
If the launcher doesnt show patch logs then replace the launcher with the new one from
http://launcher.returnofreckoning.com/RoRLauncher.exe

the usual repair from launcher cog wheel is worth a try also

edit: and as usual, read the first post under troubleshooting. if you have connecting issues... lutris runtime thingy and/or gnutils package should probably solve this
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Offical RoR Discord

My Linux Gaming Videos

GreyBox

Post#247 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:38 am

(@xpander thanks for instruction! But pls fix mistypes `WINPEREFIX` = `WINEPREFIX`)

Used instruction from this topic. Installed as described but was not able to make it's working.

Code: Select all

Ubuntu 21.04
Linux gbnb 5.11.0-38-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Fri Sep 24 14:03:54 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
nvidia-driver-470
lutris version 0.5.9.1~ubuntu21.04.1
wine-5.0.3 (Ubuntu 5.0.3-3) (from dependencies of lutris)
Launcher starts, makes updates but game crashes with

Unhandled page fault on read access to 000006C4 at address 00460B61
in lutris logs

Tried fixes with dotnet40 and d3dx9_34 (mystypes are there) and other things - didn't help.
Lutris uses it's own wine runners/wine/lutris-5.7-11-x86_64.

But finally was able to launch it with system wine using wineprefix created by lutris

export WINEPREFIX='/home/user/Games/WarhammerOnlineRoR/wineprefix'
export ROR_PATH="$WINEPREFIX/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Return of Reckoning"
cd "$ROR_PATH"
wine64 "$ROR_PATH/RoRLauncher.exe"
Also installed all fonts to fix squares in launcher (don't know which one font actually needed)

WINEPREFIX=/home/user/Games/WarhammerOnlineRoR/wineprefix winetricks allfonts
Maybe it'll help someone :)

xpander
Community Management

Post#248 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:07 pm

Does your distro not come with corefonts installed?
i think arial is the only font thats needed

i guess if you were able to run with wine64, then it must be that your distro misses some of the lib32 compatibility libraries

glad you got it working!
will wait for more similar reports to see if i can improve the install script even more

edit: fixed stupid typos, thanks for pointing out.
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Offical RoR Discord

My Linux Gaming Videos

Ads
Norquad

Post#249 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:27 am

Hi!
Im a total newbie to linux system and have a problem with installing Lutris from your linux installation guide.
When im trying to do "$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:lutris-team/lutris"
the following error shows:

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:lutris-team/lutris
[sudo] hasło użytkownika norquad:
Masz zamiar dodać następujące PPA:
Stable releases for the Lutris client
Więcej informacji: https://launchpad.net/~lutris-team/+arc ... ntu/lutris
Wciśnij Enter, aby kontynuować lub Crtl+C, aby anulować

Executing: /tmp/apt-key-gpghome.RCKvdnCzup/gpg.1.sh --keyserver hkps://keyserver.ubuntu.com:443 --recv-keys 82D96E430A1F1C0F0502747E37B90EDD4E3EFAE4
gpg: odbiór z serwera kluczy nie powiódł się: Błąd ogólny

There is no key from the server or something like that... Im using Linux Mint and already installed WINE 5.0 can u guys help?

Problem solved - u need to manually add the key. Here is the link for tutorial how to do it https://askubuntu.com/questions/13065/h ... -no-pubkey maybe will help someone in the future.

xpander
Community Management

Post#250 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:08 pm

weird, it should automatically ask to import key if you add new repository.
glad you got it solved though.
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Offical RoR Discord

My Linux Gaming Videos