Recent Topics

Ads

[Linux] How To Install Return of Reckoning

Problems installing or downloading the game? Check the Install Guide first.
Forum rules
READ THE INSTALL GUIDE BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS SUBFORUM.

The stickies exist to handle common queries. Save our time and yours by reading them first.

Thank you.
dargonax

Re: RoR under Linux

Post#191 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:14 pm

Natherul wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:02 am
xpander wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:23 pm You both have AMD GPU right?
Thats the only thing i can think of... i never seen the game crash on me. And i have played this game since the end of 2019 started with wine 5.0 and currently using wine 6.5 (staging)... haven't tried later ones yet.
i do not use ESYNC though but FSYNC.. and currently even using FSYNC2 (FUTEX2) both of the FSYNC need spcial patched wine and kernel.

Im using the https://github.com/Frogging-Family/wine-tkg-git
patched with futex2 and also his kernel https://github.com/Frogging-Family/linux-tkg also futex2 built... but i doubt that will make difference.
Correct, I have an AMD GPU. To add to the story a bit, my issues started happening exactly when a patch for RoR came, but as I stated another runner made it work. Im not at my main computer right now so I cant say what runner or settings I use currently but I think it is what you recommended last xpander :) . But yeah the issue is gone for me now and the game runs smooth.
I too have an AMD GPU. Now that you mention it, the crashes might be related to some spells. I would be interested to try a different runner, currently only tried the Lutris runners. Are you also using a different kernel?

Ads
Natherul
Former Staff

Post#192 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:55 pm

dargonax wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:14 pm
xpander wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:23 pm You both have AMD GPU right?
Thats the only thing i can think of... i never seen the game crash on me. And i have played this game since the end of 2019 started with wine 5.0 and currently using wine 6.5 (staging)... haven't tried later ones yet.
i do not use ESYNC though but FSYNC.. and currently even using FSYNC2 (FUTEX2) both of the FSYNC need spcial patched wine and kernel.

Im using the https://github.com/Frogging-Family/wine-tkg-git
patched with futex2 and also his kernel https://github.com/Frogging-Family/linux-tkg also futex2 built... but i doubt that will make difference.
Correct, I have an AMD GPU. To add to the story a bit, my issues started happening exactly when a patch for RoR came, but as I stated another runner made it work. Im not at my main computer right now so I cant say what runner or settings I use currently but I think it is what you recommended last xpander :) . But yeah the issue is gone for me now and the game runs smooth.
I too have an AMD GPU. Now that you mention it, the crashes might be related to some spells. I would be interested to try a different runner, currently only tried the Lutris runners. Are you also using a different kernel?
Running the latest zen kernel.

dargonax

Post#193 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:25 pm

Natherul wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:55 pm

Is performance better with zen kernel? Which runner did you switch to? I might try Proton and see if it helps.

Natherul
Former Staff

Post#194 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:30 pm

dargonax wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:25 pm
Natherul wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:55 pm

Is performance better with zen kernel? Which runner did you switch to? I might try Proton and see if it helps.
The system feels snappier with zen. I cant remember what I was on earlier in terms of runner but I did pull today and built the latest https://github.com/Frogging-Family/wine-tkg-git with fsync on, seems to work wonders.

FlyingCobra

Post#195 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:12 pm

Hi guys, arch + AMD GPU here too and the same error that doesn't give any info :

Code: Select all

wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 000000B4 at address F78C3EA7 (thread 00f1), starting debugger...

I read the thread and saw that somebody said that he had a crash when he was using Shattered Shadows on his sorceress.
Since those crashes are really bothering me, I created a sorceress, levelled her to the 8 and I can confirm that this spell is indeed making me crash.

I will post about that issue on github.

xpander
Community Management

Post#196 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:51 am

this probably needs to be reported to mesa devs instead then. I can't reproduce this issue with nvidia, so i would assume its maybe some mesa regression. It would be pain for them to test though. apitrace could probably help also.
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Install guide for Windows
Offical RoR Discord

AUR package for WARAddonClient

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Linux Gaming Videos

Cultist

Post#197 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:28 am

Thank you all of you for your input. Still crashing after:

- Changing runner to wine-tkg-git (6.7.r0)
- Changing linux kernel to linux-zen-git (latest 5.11)

And it only happens with "Shattered Shadows". I'll park my Sorcerer momentarily, at least when playing under linux. I also think mesa drivers have part, if not all, responsability on this issue.

I can always dust off an old nvidia card as last resort.

FlyingCobra

Post#198 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:10 am

I found a workaround using what you guys noticed, that it was linked to the "Shattered Shadows" ability and that it was a graphical issue.
I would rather have dug into the source code to find what was different on this specific spell to fix it but while I was told by a friend that ROR was open source, it isn't the case. (Yes, I know, I should have read the TOS. On the other hand, I must say that the about page on the site is quite ambiguous on the subject and let clearly believe that the project is open. Last point on this subject, the comment in the TOS on how closing the source is showing respect is shocking...)

Anyway, the work around :
In game, in the video options -> Customize -> Play ability effect on -> Exclude any group with a sorcerer in it (self is always safe, party should be quite often and so on)
Then save then /reload.

That's a bit of a shame to play without opponents animations but, playing mostly in scenarios, I think I had more than 10 crashes again today (and always when I had a sorcerer on my side so probably exclusively due to this bug).
I finally want to add that this is, in my opinion, a critical bug because a sorcerer that knows it, in an organised party without anyone with the bug, can use his spell on purpose once in a while to check if somebody from the order side crashes.

A final thank to you all that pinpointed the issue !

Ads
xpander
Community Management

Post#199 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:58 am

One of you guys with the GPU thats affected by this should really join the VKx discord server and run the apitrace either with wined3d or DXVK when casting the spell. This way it could be pinpointed what fails on AMD GPU's with it.

I dont think RoR team is able to fix issues with Linux AMD GPU drivers.

google VKx discord to get the link to join
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Install guide for Windows
Offical RoR Discord

AUR package for WARAddonClient

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Linux Gaming Videos

ggnoredo

Post#200 » Sat May 01, 2021 10:16 am

I created an issue on mesa repository. Please comment and follow from the link below:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/4725