[Linux] How To Install Return of Reckoning

Problems installing or downloading the game? Check the Install Guide first.
Forum rules
READ THE INSTALL GUIDE BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS SUBFORUM.

The stickies exist to handle common queries. Save our time and yours by reading them first.

Thank you.
xpander
Community Management

Re: RoR under Linux

Post#161 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:33 am

hmm that error doesn't tell much. try switching between different wine versions in lutris
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Install guide for Windows
Offical RoR Discord

AUR package for WARAddonClient

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Linux Gaming Videos

Ads
Cultist

Post#162 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:00 am

In lutris I'd use the latest runner available if I were you. I'm using lutris-6.4 instead of system's wine or the one that is installed with lutris (5.7 iirc).

xpander
Community Management

Post#163 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:32 am

Cultist wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:00 am In lutris I'd use the latest runner available if I were you. I'm using lutris-6.4 instead of system's wine or the one that is installed with lutris (5.7 iirc).
The problem seems that the person has ancient laptop/notebook with amd phenom which has 2 cores and AMD mobile 880 GPU.. those things are like 10 years old. So no DXVK for him as the GPU only supports opengl3.3 max.
im trying to help on discord, but i have no idea about linux mint and its driver things. I somehow think that 32bit versions of drivers are borked or something along those lines

edit: i helped via teamviewer.. he had no 32bit support enabled, which i managed to enable. but the GPU drivers still were throwing GLX errors. I guess this ancient GPU isn't really tested by the driver teams. He went to install Pop_OS which should be out of box prepared for gaming. will see if that will help, but i somehow have the feeling that this GPU just isnt capable. running with DXVK enabled software rendering for the launcher however. llvmpipe/lavapipe, which obiviously is not enough to run the game and if it even would launch it would be like 1-2 fps running on that old poor CPU
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Offical RoR Discord

My Linux Gaming Videos

Cultist

Post#164 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:37 am

xpander wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:32 am
Cultist wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:00 am In lutris I'd use the latest runner available if I were you. I'm using lutris-6.4 instead of system's wine or the one that is installed with lutris (5.7 iirc).
The problem seems that the person has ancient laptop/notebook with amd phenom which has 2 cores and AMD mobile 880 GPU.. those things are like 10 years old. So no DXVK for him as the GPU only supports opengl3.3 max.
im trying to help on discord, but i have no idea about linux mint and its driver things. I somehow think that 32bit versions of drivers are borked or something along those lines

edit: i helped via teamviewer.. he had no 32bit support enabled, which i managed to enable. but the GPU drivers still were throwing GLX errors. I guess this ancient GPU isn't really tested by the driver teams. He went to install Pop_OS which should be out of box prepared for gaming. will see if that will help, but i somehow have the feeling that this GPU just isnt capable. running with DXVK enabled software rendering for the launcher however. llvmpipe/lavapipe, which obiviously is not enough to run the game and if it even would launch it would be like 1-2 fps running on that old poor CPU
That's "no bueno" (not good). The only thing it comes to my mind is using OLD propietary AMDGPU-PRO drivers and it still could make no difference. This game was launched like 10 years ahead of its time. Good luck man.

xpander
Community Management

Post#165 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:09 am

we solved the issue.. i forgot to update here. had to fake MESA GL CORE PROFILE to 4.5 with environment variable.. even though this ancient GPU only supports GL 3.3 as max. but that somehow made the game work with opengl at least. AMD drivers in a nutshell i guess
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Offical RoR Discord

My Linux Gaming Videos

dargonax

Post#166 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:01 am

The game runs fine for me on Linux with the exception of occasional frequent crashing in large melee fights. I can play melee for a while and then out of nowhere the game closes and then when I restart it the game keeps closing as soon as I get into a fight. Another minor issue is some occasional crackling audio but it's barely noticable. When I play ranged there's practically no crashes.

I used the Lutris installer and changed Wine version to 6.4, the Windows version to 10, and disabled Esync but the problem was occuring before the changes too. I'm running on an i7 CPU, 16 GB RAM and an AMD GPU with 8 GB VRAM and I can play many other modern games on Linux with no issues. I'm using the Mesa drivers and PipeWire for audio.

I tried deleting the cache folder frequently but it makes little difference.

Another problem is some addons don't work and aren't detected by the game while other addons work. I use TexturedButtons, TidyChat and WarBoard which work fine but then I've tried Enemy, nRarity and Pure which aren't detected by the game (doesn't show up in addon list in-game).

Any ideas?

xpander
Community Management

Post#167 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:54 am

do not disable esync, but enable it. without esync you will have bad time in big battles.
i think the sound issues are probably is also related to the esync being disabled.

as for addons. if they dont show up then you have folders wrong.
maybe you have folders inside folder? or maybe some addons are case sensitive? though i doubt. both folder names are written like that for me for example Interface and AddOns
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Offical RoR Discord

My Linux Gaming Videos

dargonax

Post#168 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:31 pm

xpander wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:54 am do not disable esync, but enable it. without esync you will have bad time in big battles.
i think the sound issues are probably is also related to the esync being disabled.

as for addons. if they dont show up then you have folders wrong.
maybe you have folders inside folder? or maybe some addons are case sensitive? though i doubt. both folder names are written like that for me for example Interface and AddOns
I tried the changes mentioned to see if they would make any difference but there's little difference for me. The addons are installed the same way, both the ones that work and the ones that don't, in Interface/AddOns/BaseFolder, where BaseFolder is the addon folder (for example Interface/AddOns/Enemy). There's no additional folders inside folders, except ones provided by the addon (like source, Code, Textures, etc). Downloaded the addons from Idrinth's Tools.

I'll try to copy the error when it crashes again, it's something to do with trying to read some memory address I think.

Ads
Cultist

Post#169 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:04 pm

dargonax wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:01 am Another problem is some addons don't work and aren't detected by the game while other addons work. I use TexturedButtons, TidyChat and WarBoard which work fine but then I've tried Enemy, nRarity and Pure which aren't detected by the game (doesn't show up in addon list in-game).

Any ideas?
That's strange. Have you checked permissions for those addons? like the ugo mask and user:group

dargonax

Post#170 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:20 pm

Cultist wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:04 pm
dargonax wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:01 am Another problem is some addons don't work and aren't detected by the game while other addons work. I use TexturedButtons, TidyChat and WarBoard which work fine but then I've tried Enemy, nRarity and Pure which aren't detected by the game (doesn't show up in addon list in-game).

Any ideas?
That's strange. Have you checked permissions for those addons? like the ugo mask and user:group
The permissions seem to be the same for all addons, 644 for files and 755 for folders. I basically just downloaded them from Idrinth's Tools and unpacked in AddOns folder.