Recent Topics

Ads

Trojan in the WAR-64.exe file

Problems installing or downloading the game? Check the Install Guide first.
Forum rules
READ THE INSTALL GUIDE BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS SUBFORUM.

The stickies exist to handle common queries. Save our time and yours by reading them first.

Thank you.
Farfalla

Trojan in the WAR-64.exe file

Post#1 » Tue May 05, 2020 12:48 am

My anti-virus program had an alert after the last patch. It alerted me with the following:

file: D:\ReturnOfReckoning-March2020\Warhammer Online - Return of Reckoning\WAR-64.exe
Threat detected:Trojan:Win32/Bomitag.D!ml

Any suggestions?

Ads
Permabad

Re: Trojan in the WAR-64.exe file

Post#2 » Tue May 05, 2020 12:52 am

I'm in the exact same boat.

Boulderbolg

Post#3 » Tue May 05, 2020 1:08 am

Same thing here, using Windows Defender. The solution is to allow the file to run, but frankly, I am uncomfortable allowing it. This just started happening today.

Permabad

Post#4 » Tue May 05, 2020 1:12 am

Boulderbolg wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:08 am Same thing here, using Windows Defender. The solution is to allow the file to run, but frankly, I am uncomfortable allowing it. This just started happening today.
Yeah, it's Windows Defender. I agree, with it specifically being "Trojan:Win32/Bomitag.D!ml" that is uncomfortable. Admittedly, I don't know enough to say that it's just a false positive like the install guide suggests. Especially when I previously didn't run into any issues with install or prior patches.

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#5 » Tue May 05, 2020 2:10 am

It is a false positive. The way we handle files does manipulate objects in memory. This can be flagged as unknown files with trojan-like behavior. These are almost always a generic flag that can be submitted to these companies for review, if your antivirus allows that kind of thing.

The War-64.exe never existed as a live server file, so it's unknown to most databases, and the manipulation it does is to enable several 64-bit capabilities in the game engine that we found locked away. We assume they were disabled because 32-bit was very prevalent when live servers released, and a dual core processor was considered fairly high end hardware.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

btbw2009
Suspended

Post#6 » Thu May 07, 2020 1:16 pm

svonludwig

Post#7 » Thu May 07, 2020 1:41 pm

To bad. I deleted the game and now I cant reinstall. Perhaps my last day.

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#8 » Thu May 07, 2020 1:47 pm

Were you trying to make a point?

I have the same thing linked in the install instructions. Virustotal is where a lot of AV companies report their findings. Heuristic findings are automatically generated based on behavior tags, they're not actually good evaluators of what that behavior is doing, just that the behavior is used by viruses to do illegitimate things. We're just trying to make the game run properly.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

Ads
Knatty

Post#9 » Thu May 07, 2020 1:55 pm

It is indeed being treated as a trojan since the March 6 update. On my pc and laptop both Webroot and Windows Defender were blocking the updater and quarantining the launcher.exe and updater.exe files.
I have since made the adjustments and successfully launched back into the game, #nohacksplease.

svonludwig

Post#10 » Thu May 07, 2020 3:49 pm

No War wasnt trying to be rude at all. I run a pc that I bought when WAR came out. I had to delete as I needed to do some secure things and didnt have time to figure it out. I have the installer running again. I went through the guide but I am still getting the 171k file download after using the new download offered. Not sure how to go around this as it just starts with the launcher.

Huge fan of the game and the wok you guys do.