Recent Topics

Ads

Black Screen on Start Up - No Error

Problems installing or downloading the game? Check the Install Guide first.
Forum rules
READ THE INSTALL GUIDE BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS SUBFORUM.

The stickies exist to handle common queries. Save our time and yours by reading them first.

Thank you.
Daemonist

Black Screen on Start Up - No Error

Post#1 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:41 am

Okay peeps, I'm just now coming back to the game after some time. I downloaded the game using the standard installer but when I would launch it (as admin), it would come up black screen with the splash screen window stuck at 100% on my second monitor. No error message appears, it just stays stuck. Task manager instantly shows the program as "Not Responding".

I've tried the following so far to fix this:

• Waited it out a good 10 minutes or so (Game is on an SSD, no way it needed that long to load)
    PC Update and Restart
    Firewall/Anti-Virus set up
    Game-Launcher Repair Tool
    Compatibility Mode cycle
    Confirmed compliance with installation instructions: (New folder in C: with write permission / turned off read-only for all)
    Installed DirectX 9
    Toggled x32 bit client and x64 bit client
    Driver check
    Complete reinstall via BitTorrent
    All the above again with the new install
    Ran the DirectX installer (DXSETUP.exe) included in the BitTorrent

Still no luck and I can't think of anything else. What am I missing?
My PC is more than capable of playing the game, and I had no issues in the past.

Ads
Lilim
Community Management

Re: Black Screen on Start Up - No Error

Post#2 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:06 pm

Spoiler:
Daemonist wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:41 am Okay peeps, I'm just now coming back to the game after some time. I downloaded the game using the standard installer but when I would launch it (as admin), it would come up black screen with the splash screen window stuck at 100% on my second monitor. No error message appears, it just stays stuck. Task manager instantly shows the program as "Not Responding".

I've tried the following so far to fix this:

• Waited it out a good 10 minutes or so (Game is on an SSD, no way it needed that long to load)
    PC Update and Restart
    Firewall/Anti-Virus set up
    Game-Launcher Repair Tool
    Compatibility Mode cycle
    Confirmed compliance with installation instructions: (New folder in C: with write permission / turned off read-only for all)
    Installed DirectX 9
    Toggled x32 bit client and x64 bit client
    Driver check
    Complete reinstall via BitTorrent
    All the above again with the new install
    Ran the DirectX installer (DXSETUP.exe) included in the BitTorrent

Still no luck and I can't think of anything else. What am I missing?
My PC is more than capable of playing the game, and I had no issues in the past.
Hey,

so first the install guide, you can check if you missed a step....otherwise if it doesn't help, I would recommend you to join the offical RoR discord . There are more brains with ideas to help and you can respond better than via forum.

How to Install:

- Stop your Torrent from seeding (close it, maybe check your task manager)
- Move the RoR Folder to c:\ (or atleast it's NOT in c:\program or a folder which it wont have write access. For instance move it to c:\Games\Return of Reckoning)
- delete the RoRLauncher.exe
- download a new one here: http://launcher.returnofreckoning.com/RoRLauncher.exe
- put the new RoRLauncher.exe back into the RoR-folder
- Remove the write-protection from all the files in the WAR folder. (right click the game folder -> properties -> disable the read-only box)
- Check if your whole RoR Folder is whitelisted in your Antivirus program and check if your Firewall or Maleware doesn't interfere with the install.
- You may also try running the launcher with Administrator privileges. (Right click the RoR updater > properties > run administrator)
- Run the RoRLauncher.exe
- Let it update (sometimes it needs a few seconds until it starts)
- Exit launcher and rerun it again
- Repeat the last 2-steps until there is no update
- Launch the game
- [If you don't have DirectX 9.0c, installed it is required, and now this is also included in the torrent. In the ReturnOfReckoning-March2020 folder find the dx90c folder, open that and run DXSETUP.exe]

Daemonist

Post#3 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:28 pm

so first the install guide, you can check if you missed a step...
Parsed over it a few times, I'm afraid all the steps there are accounted for, but not a bad go-to. I tried the Discord before but had no luck there. I'll bring it up again simply because this one is just so strange.

Daemonist

Post#4 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:08 pm

Resolved on Discord, but for whenever it happens to another:

Go to the game installation > user > UserSettings.xml (Open with an editor/notepad)
Find the window settings near the top and change it to read:

Code: Select all

<Mode window_frame="true" fullscreen="false" />
Alt-Enter is disabled for this game, so this is the only reliable way to force windowed mode.

Thank you to Lillim / xpander for the help!