[Mac OS] How To Install Return of Reckoning

Problems installing or downloading the game? Check the Install Guide first.
Forum rules
READ THE INSTALL GUIDE BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS SUBFORUM.

The stickies exist to handle common queries. Save our time and yours by reading them first.

Thank you.
Delegator

[Mac OS] How To Install Return of Reckoning

Post#1 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:43 pm

Installation Guide for Mac users
If you're not a Mac user, follow this guide.

Having just gone through and worked out the kinks of this installation, I thought I would provide a guide for Mac users who want to run RoR using Crossover(the commercial version of Wine) instead of installing Bootcamp. At this point I have been able to repeat the install successfully by following these steps, and I have created a few characters and played them to level 8 or so.

My environment is:
  • Mac OS Big Sur 11.1
  • Crossover 20.0.2
1. Create Windows 7 64-bit bottle

2. Download https://launcher.returnofreckoning.com/RoRInstaller.exe to your Mac local drive

3. In the Crossover bottle, Run Command… and select RoRInstaller.exe from wherever you put it

4. Take the defaults of Full Game and the destination folder (C:\Program Files\Return of Reckoning)

5. As part of the RoRInstaller flow, install and setup .Net framework 4 when asked. This is pretty quick — 1-2 minutes I think.

6. RoRInstaller will ask about installing DirectX 9.0x. This will take several minutes. Then the rest of the game installation will proceed.
1. NOTE: I found that this installation of DirectX doesn’t seem to work (it doesn’t throw any error, but at the end the DirectX directories are all gone and DirectX doesn’t work), so we will reinstall later

7. IMPORTANT: do NOT start the game immediately after installation completes. Maybe you can, because all we will do next is patch, but just note that the game is not playable yet.

8. At this point your Crossover bottle will have four items in it:
  • Return of Reckoning (this is the game launcher)
  • RoR Installer
  • RoR Uninstlaler
  • the generic "Run Command" that you get for every bottle

Run Return of Reckoning and let it patch everything up to full. This will take a while as the launcher verifies your files and downloads updates. I’m really not sure what happens during the “Finalizing” stage, so I just let it run for a while. It never seems to get to 100%. Then exit the launcher. Otherwise you’ll just get a white screen with the opening video…you need DirectX installed.

9 . Now, before starting the actual game, download DirectX 9.0C for Windows 7/8/10 from https://www.filehorse.com/download-directx-9/download/
  1. From within the Crossover bottle, run the the DirectX setup program directx_Jun2010_redist.exe that you just downloaded
  2. For location, specify something like C:\directx90c and have it create the directory
  3. From the Crossover bottle, run DXSETUP.exe from the directory into which you had it extract the files
10. Now you can start the game. A few things you will want to do:
  • In Settings, select your preferred resolution. Leave full screen checked, because otherwise you will have a black box in the middle of your screen where the loader window is.
  • Strangely, SOME of the resolutions did not allow me to switch desktops using my usual keys (CTRL-1, CTRL-2 or CTRL-arrow). When I went to my monitor’s native resolution it worked fine, so 1920x1080 it is for me. Your mileage may vary.
  • Edit your user settings file, to change mouse sensitivity to something reasonable. Here’s what I use (there is lots of other stuff here that got added when I exited the game):
<Interface global_ui_scale="1.000000" lock_action_bars="0" mouse_sensitivity=“0.10" warn_on_sell="true" warn_on_buy="true" warn_on_repair="true" warn_on_perf_change="true" warn_on_refine="true" warn_on_refine_currency="true">
the key is changing your mouse sensitivity from the default 0.50 to 0.10.
  • Make sure you give Return of Reckoning access to your system’s accessibility settings. Otherwise the mouse sensitivity setting won’t apply when using a siege engine, which makes the sniper mode basically impossible to use. TO do this, go to your Security & Privacy settings, click on the lock to allow changes (requires a password) and make sure the box is checked for Return of Reckoning.
Last edited by Delegator on Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ads
xpander
Community Management

Re: Install and Run on Mac OS using Crossover

Post#2 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:09 pm

nice post.
-you can make the images visible by opening them and right clicking then open image in new tab..should have the correct image link then.

-you should include the torrent way of getting the game, cause its usually loads faster to patch
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Install guide for Windows
Offical RoR Discord

AUR package for WARAddonClient

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Linux Gaming Videos

Delegator

Post#3 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:22 pm

Thanks, I'll try to edit for the image links.
<edit: done>

As for the torrent method, I tried a few times and couldn't get it to work (I know others have done this successfully with Wine...but for whatever reason I was not successful in multiple attempts). I did finally get the file permissions set, but then when I started the launcher it basically downloaded the whole game again, VERY slowly for some reason. So, I chose the path of something I had tested and that worked (and really, only took <1 hour end to end, so not bad).

MaxHayman
Management

Post#4 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:21 pm

This is similar to the process I did. However Crossover had a way to nicely install direct X into the bottle iirc.
Max Hayman

FuatKoseoglu

Post#5 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:24 pm

Awesome,thanks!

FuatKoseoglu

Post#6 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:42 pm

Have you ever tried it with external ssd? I usually run my game on my pc using external ssd.

FuatKoseoglu

Post#7 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:52 pm

I am installing the game as an Unlisted Application is that correct?

FuatKoseoglu

Post#8 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:21 pm

It works quite well. I have one issue that when I alt-tab I cannot open the game again. It is just a black screen and a logo that shows up when you click play on the launcher.

Ads
Sointu

Post#9 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:38 am

Im getting a lot of crashes ( actually game just freezes and I have force it to close ) while playing on Big Sur + crossover on MacBook Pro 16. Anyone had same kind of problems and found a fix?

Delegator

Post#10 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:19 pm

I run on Big Sur with Crossover 20.0.4 on exactly the same, a MacBook Pro 16. The only times I run into issues are in big keep fights with more than 2 full WB on each side (so like 200 characters in the battle).

I suggest that you use Crossover bottle settings of disabling Performance Enhanced Graphigs and using DXVK which seems to help. Beyond that make sure you have the latest Crossover. And try a Repair of your game installation just in case.