[Mac OS] How To Install Return of Reckoning

Problems installing or downloading the game? Check the Install Guide first.
Forum rules
READ THE INSTALL GUIDE BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS SUBFORUM.

The stickies exist to handle common queries. Save our time and yours by reading them first.

Thank you.
Cultist

Re: Install and Run on Mac OS using Crossover

Post#11 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:43 am

Too bad M1 chipsets cannot run bootcamp but your post is amazing. Going to test this out today, no doubt. Thank you.

Ads
MaxHayman
Management

Post#12 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:24 am

Cultist wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:43 am Too bad M1 chipsets cannot run bootcamp but your post is amazing. Going to test this out today, no doubt. Thank you.
You running WAR on Crossover on an M1? I'd be interesting to see how it performs.
Max Hayman

Cultist

Post#13 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:50 am

MaxHayman wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:24 am
Cultist wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:43 am Too bad M1 chipsets cannot run bootcamp but your post is amazing. Going to test this out today, no doubt. Thank you.
You running WAR on Crossover on an M1? I'd be interesting to see how it performs.
Yes, as soon as I can. Probably today. Any idea about how to measure it? (FPS on Zerg fights maybe?) I recently bought a M1 Mac Mini on sale (1TB SSD). I will probably use VinyUI and nothing else. At the moment it's running smoothly on Linux but I have to test this. It's too tempting. I'll let you know.

Cultist

Post#14 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:48 am

Ok, RoR works on this system (M1 Mac Mini) via crossover but not so well as I expected. I suspect the culprit is the low MEM this rig has (8GB). I kinda followed the instructions given by this thread OP but chose a different approach because it was taking lot of time to download the full game via launcher so I removed everything and re-started the whole process.

1) I installed the game from the executable RoRInstaller.exe, directx9 has to be installed separatedly as stated by OP once the first exe is done.
2) video.7z or some filename by a similar name throws an error but crossover keeps everything on the bottle so just run the launcher.
3) Here is where I aborted the launcher and copied everything from the torrent'd files to ~\Library\Application Support\CrossOver\Bottles\YOURBOTTLENAME\drive_c\Program Files (x86)\Return of Reckoning\
4) Check permissions, if you're admin it should say via terminal command "ls -la" that the owner is your username and the group is "staff". If you are copying more files like your config from other installation into user/settings/Martyrs Square/CHARNAME double check permissions are correct there as well. If they are not set as they should, sudo chown -R YOURUSERNAME:staff * && sudo chmod -R 755 *. I didn't have to modify anything of this but it's important for the game to run permissions are set accordingly for your user.
5) I ran the game with enhanced graphics (without DXVK) because apparently it gave me better performance.
6) RoR has to be launched in full screen mode, otherwise a black square appears on the middle of the screen when launched.
7) Performance is good in small scale / Scenarios / Solo but large scale my system couldn't cope with it despite using like 4 cores out of the 8.

I attach some screenshots I took along the whole process:

System:

Settings (notice everything is at minimum/turned off):

Got frozen in Fort when I was about to go upstairs, I was being attacked and mounting at the same time. RoR froze.

I killed RoR and CrossOver and re-appeared in the middle of the mountains (?).

CPU usage (I guess globally -not per core- because RoR was using 4 cores on iStat menus)

MEM usage (quite high given that I just have 8GB)

Or the whole album here: https://imgur.com/a/sgEnnaQ

TL;DR: It works but not smoothly, the game freezes and the audio crisps constantly. For smallscale and solo is a valid solution, not for Fort or high populated maps. If anybody has any suggestion/feedback is welcomed.

Delegator

Post#15 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:51 pm

Hey, thanks for the details and information -- it's super interesting to see the difference between the two systems. My system is

16" MacBook Pro 2019
32 GB RAM
CPU: 2.4 Ghz 8-core Core i9
GPU: ATI Radeon Pro 5500M with 8GB dedicated RAM

I don't have issues with audio or game freezes until extremely high population (as I said, maybe 100 per side in a fort will be a problem causing hangs or crashes). Even then, if I keep out of the lord room I will be OK.

If I had to guess, I think it is likely the combination of low RAM and the integrated GPU that is holding you back. The integrated GPU shares up to 4GB of the system RAM (my understanding) while the AMD Radeon Pro in my MBP has 8GB dedicated RAM. So, while the M1 GPU does great on synthetic benchmarks, including for games, it might not pan out when the memory usage ramps up. Especially when you have the added load of running via WINE.

Also, your memory usage for Crossover and for the wine32on64-preloader are both much higher than on my system, with my numbers coming in around half yours. CPU usage varies widely and is harder to measure because when I change to a different desktop it tends to drop quickly.

The only suggestions I have are:
1. Given that RAM is likely a limiter, drop the texture memory cache from highest to default, and if that's not enough
2. Disable sound, since that's choppy and could be taking CPU. At the very least, turn off music and turn off notification of communications
3. Change Play Ability Effects On to be either self or none

To me, lack of effects on the party makes the game more difficult and less enjoyable, so start with the texture memory cache sizing.

Best of luck!

Cultist

Post#16 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:54 am

Delegator wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:51 pm The only suggestions I have are:
1. Given that RAM is likely a limiter, drop the texture memory cache from highest to default, and if that's not enough
2. Disable sound, since that's choppy and could be taking CPU. At the very least, turn off music and turn off notification of communications
3. Change Play Ability Effects On to be either self or none
Hey Delegator, thanks a lot for the input, I agree with you 100% and I'll follow those 3 advices next time I run it on my Mac. It's a pity I bought it with little RAM and it is now causing such a terrible bottleneck. Also, too bad it is soldered, otherwise I would upgrade it right away.

For whom plan to play RoR under Mac:

- It works very well via crossover
- Get a dedicated GPU
- If the previous point is not possible, at least get a ton of RAM, 16GB sounds like the bare minimum (especially if your chip is a M1).
- If you can have a partition for Bootcamp (Intel-based chips) and have enough hdd/ssd storage, I would give it a go before using anything else but as stated previouisly, it works very well w/ crossover.

Delegator

Post#17 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:03 pm

FYI, I had submitted Return of Reckoning to the Crossover support database, and it is now included there:

https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibili ... -reckoning

I'm an advocate, and will try to work on the identified performance issues (especially in large keep battles) as best I can.

MaxHayman
Management

Post#18 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:16 am

I wonder what will happen when Applie remove the x64 -> ARM translator. Crossover did a good job on x86 -> x64 translation, might not be too bad if they do x86 -> ARM.
Max Hayman

Ads
Cultist

Post#19 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:47 am

I'm a bit stubborn about this. I tested RoR on a Macbook Air (intel-based) and it takes less CPU/MEM usage and works relatively well compared to the M1 w/ the same amount of RAM (8GB). I have to do further testing.
MaxHayman wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:16 am I wonder what will happen when Applie remove the x64 -> ARM translator. Crossover did a good job on x86 -> x64 translation, might not be too bad if they do x86 -> ARM.
This is why you have to be very cautious when updating. I don't think I'll go further than Big Sur on my M1 and Mojave on other devices.
Delegator wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:03 pm FYI, I had submitted Return of Reckoning to the Crossover support database, and it is now included there:

https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibili ... -reckoning

I'm an advocate, and will try to work on the identified performance issues (especially in large keep battles) as best I can.
This is impressive. Thank you for taking the time to put all this together.

FuatKoseoglu

Post#20 » Sat May 08, 2021 7:58 pm

I used to play it but I had to reinstall it. But now I am stuck on verifying it completes and stuck on %99 finalizing then it gives an error. If I close it on %99 finalizing it starts again when I launch it. All permissions are granted.

Thank you.