Recent Topics

Ads

Need help for new computer

Problems installing or downloading the game? Check the Install Guide first.
Forum rules
READ THE INSTALL GUIDE BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS SUBFORUM.

The stickies exist to handle common queries. Save our time and yours by reading them first.

Thank you.
Waaghtastic

Need help for new computer

Post#1 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:05 pm

Dear community,

TL;DR: I'm looking for a used gaming computer (Germany) as I don't want to buy a new one and I'm out of the loop in terms of what's hot in GPU/CPU/RAM/etc. I'm currently googling myself into the topic but I guess someone with some expertise can help me easily and tell me if one of the PCs I'm currently looking into are a good fit for Warhammer Online (and maybe newer games)

Budget: ~700-800€

The ones I'm currently looking at are:

A) 750,-€
* Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1231 v3 3,40 GHz
* Mainboard Asus h97m-e
* RAM Hyper X 32 GB
* Nvidia GeForce 2060
* Thermaltake Berlin 630 Watt
* 3x 240GB SSD

B) No price listed, I'd have to suggest one
* GTX 1050 Ti Gaming X
* Ryzen 7 2700X von AMD
* 16gb 3200mhz RAM (2x8) G-Skill
* B450 I Aorus Pro WiFi Mainboard
* 650W Power Supply CoolerMaster
* Mini ITX Case NZXT

C) ~650,-€
* 6GB Gainward GeForce GTX 1060
* 16GB DDR4-3200 CL16 - Team Night Hawk
* AMD Ryzen 5 1600 6x 3.20GHz
* Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3 AMD B350 So.AM4 Dual Channel DDR4
* 620 Watt Seasonic S12II Bronze Power Supply
* 500GB & 1TB Samsung SSD

Background: I'm currently playing on my MacBook Pro which kind of works. I'm running almost on lowest graphic settings but in highest resolution (4k). Works most of the time for almost everything except huge oRvR battles and bigger scenarios. However I'd like to play with high settings natively on Windows without "misusing" my development notebook.

I'd be happy about any feedback :)

If this is not the proper part of the forum or there's already a specific thread / section for it please feel free to point me to the right direction :-)

Thanks in advance!

Ads
cavezel

Re: Need help for new computer

Post#2 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:10 pm

A is the correct answer.

Waaghtastic

Post#3 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:13 pm

cavezel wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:10 pm A is the correct answer.
Thanks for the fast reply. Can you provide some context on why?

I've looked into it and I already know that the GPU is the latest/best one of these three. But I've read often times now to go for Ryzen CPUS and the xeon on looks like an already ~6 year old one? Wasn't there so much progress in the CPUs in the last years?

Taxen0

Post#4 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:28 pm

its hard to make a proper recommendation without all the details.

But for RoR specifically i think B would be best. The 1050ti is a weak gpu, but in big rvr it is the cpu that struggles and the cpu from B is better. That motherboard also support ryzen 3000 and 5000 series if you want to upgrade later on. 16gb ram is still enough for gaming and it looks like it might be quite good sticks, but more info needed.

B should be cheap so maybe you can get a used GPU as well and replace the 1050, this is probably my recommendation.

If you want to play other things than ror (or above 1080p in general) you really should replace the Gpu. So if that is not an option then go for A instead.

A: good gpu, poor cpu, no upgrade path
B: bad gpu, decent cpu, possible to upgrade just cpu or gpu in future.
Floffel - Zealot

xpander
Community Management

Post#5 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:19 am

for RoR option B would be the best, cause of CPU, but if you play other games also then option A has much much better GPU, but way worse CPU

the above message pretty much nails it. But i really would not buy option A these days because of the ancient CPU in there. GPU is nice midrange there though.

i would buy option B if the price is say around 600-650 and then later maybe change the GPU as 1050Ti is quite weak for todays games. Depends ofc what you are playing anyway.
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Install guide for Windows
Offical RoR Discord

AUR package for WARAddonClient

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Linux Gaming Videos

BluIzLucky

Post#6 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:10 am

I'd go with something like this https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/DnLLBc

850€
Ryzen 5 3600 or 2600 (both good OC)
Gtx 1650
16gb ram
500gb nvme ssd

GPUs are a bit hot right now, thanks to lockdown and crypto, but I've had good experience picking up used from ebay..
Look for a good deal on gtx1060 6gb,1070, 1080, 1650, 1660, 20x0
Or Amd rx590,580, 570
To fit in the budget you can also shave off about 50-150£ by taking cheaper/smaller ssd, motherboard, 2600 cpu and depending on the gpu and if you don't OC you could also take a 450watt power supply
SM - Arhalien +80 | AM - Shaheena +80
ZL - Wildera +70 | BG - Blackcrow +70

Waaghtastic

Post#7 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:46 pm

Thanks a bunch for all the answers and the help.

I'll go and pick up a used ASUS TUF Gaming A17 with an Ryzen 5 & GTX 1660 Ti locally for ~750€. Looks like a good mix between a gaming laptop and mobility for my personal needs.

Thanks again :-)

BluIzLucky

Post#8 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:22 pm

Nice one 8-)
if you haven't sealed the deal yet and it's older than a year/out of warranty, get him to run a battery capacity report and make sure to get pictures of the charging cable and port for dmg.
Some gaming laptops tend to quickly deteriorate in those areas! Capacity report is especially important if the battery can't be replaced or is expensive.. So if something is looking bit off maybe you can get the price down a little ;)
SM - Arhalien +80 | AM - Shaheena +80
ZL - Wildera +70 | BG - Blackcrow +70

Ads
Waaghtastic

Post#9 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:22 pm

BluIzLucky wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:22 pm Nice one 8-)
if you haven't sealed the deal yet and it's older than a year/out of warranty, get him to run a battery capacity report and make sure to get pictures of the charging cable and port for dmg.
Some gaming laptops tend to quickly deteriorate in those areas! Capacity report is especially important if the battery can't be replaced or is expensive.. So if something is looking bit off maybe you can get the price down a little ;)
Thanks for the hint :)
It’s a three month old device and I have the receipt so no issues in case of warranty. Haven’t checked the battery yet but I’ll do that (even though I don’t plan on using it not plugged in)