Recent Topics

Ads

Game is running very bad with a 2020 PC

Problems installing or downloading the game? Check the Install Guide first.
Forum rules
READ THE INSTALL GUIDE BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS SUBFORUM.

The stickies exist to handle common queries. Save our time and yours by reading them first.

Thank you.
lamourlajoie

Game is running very bad with a 2020 PC

Post#1 » Sun May 23, 2021 11:43 pm

HI guys.

I'm playin this game for as long as i can remember and since fortresses came out, the game as become unplayble.
I used to blame my old PC (even tho it could run way more recent games). this PC had an i7 7700k and an average AMD GC bought in 2015 or something.

Recently i bought a new pc and it's working almost as bad. Well not exactly...
actually the game runs between 10 - 150 fps depending on what i'm doing.
for example: in SC the game runs at 60 - 80 fps
40 -60 in open RVR in low pop areas (can even peak at 150 if nobody around)
But if i go into a fortress, the game runs 10 - 30 fps. As 10 is when i'm lookin at the keep direction.

With this i have to mention a lot of micro freezes that occur very often randomly but mostly when approaching BOs, keeps etc.

This is unplayable. And the worst thing is, as you can understand from what i said, the more intense the fight, the less playable it is.
This is my favorite game ever and i would very much like to have a pro showing me what i missed.

i allready tryed a lot of things like reducing addons to a minimum (enemy+buffhead+wsct) but none brought me some substancial improvements.
Getting rid of effects of results in a few fps gained but i'd like to play this game with effects and i thought a 2020 pc could do the trick^^.

here's what i'm working with:

-Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
-CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
-RAM : 16.0GB 3000
-6128MB ATI AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT
-MB: B450M PRO-VDH MAX
-SSD + HDD (tryed installing the game on both but that made no difference)

400MB internet speed.

please save me from having to spend my free time in the real world!

Ads
lamourlajoie

Re: Game is running very bad with a 2020 PC

Post#2 » Sun May 23, 2021 11:49 pm

forgot to mention:
this isn't my main account cause i try to log with it on the website it says

"Backup key"
"Please provide a backup key, which hasn’t been used before"

Sulorie

Post#3 » Mon May 24, 2021 12:16 am

It's the old engine, not much you can do. The add-ons you mentioned are quite resource hungry, especially wsct and buffhead but on the other side very valuable to use. Try disabling wsct at least and try it out.
Fps will still drop, when you look towards keep/fort lord. With so many hundred players in a close area, turning effects off is no bad way to stabilize fps.
It doesn't matter whether your PC is new or not, it runs better overall but at high load areas it will still fail.
Dying is no option.

Keula

Post#4 » Mon May 24, 2021 1:22 am

Disable effects and use the disable VFX option in the server tab, It helps A LOT. Also when doing open rvr/forts restart your game every 1-3 hours depending on the population.
Alteredheal 85 DOK
Azerrad 79 Sorc
Lumoojatar 70 AM

lamourlajoie

Post#5 » Mon May 24, 2021 11:52 am

I appreciate you guys tryin to help me but please read before commenting.
As i said turning off graphics won't be enough. Going from 10 fps to 15-20 is not smooth enough. Moreover i won't play with graphics off anymore because it is pointless if you can't see arch and sham slow pools and so on.

Sulorie say "fps will still drop" and i'm ok with it but i suppose the hundreds of people present on fortresses don't play with 10-20 fps. How many fps are you dealing with in fortresses sulorie?

I know my guildmates don't have the same problem i have and some of them even play with graphics turned on and as far as i know they don't complain about fps dropping to an unplayable state.

i need help to setup my PC so the game uses more of its capacities somehow.
is having an AMD card part of the problem maybe?

Sulorie

Post#6 » Mon May 24, 2021 12:05 pm

lamourlajoie wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:52 am I appreciate you guys tryin to help me but please read before commenting.
As i said turning off graphics won't be enough. Going from 10 fps to 15-20 is not smooth enough. Moreover i won't play with graphics off anymore because it is pointless if you can't see arch and sham slow pools and so on.

Sulorie say "fps will still drop" and i'm ok with it but i suppose the hundreds of people present on fortresses don't play with 10-20 fps. How many fps are you dealing with in fortresses sulorie?

I know my guildmates don't have the same problem i have and some of them even play with graphics turned on and as far as i know they don't complain about fps dropping to an unplayable state.

i need help to setup my PC so the game uses more of its capacities somehow.
is having an AMD card part of the problem maybe?
No man, all play like that, that not only you. :) The moment you look towards inner keep or fort, it drops hard. When all effects on even single digit at moments. Let them record their gameplay with fps counter. Just because someone doesn't complain, it doesn't mean the run 30+ fps.
Your GPU doesn't matter at all, all what benefits you is raw cpu clock speed and in that aspect, intel cpus tend to clock higher than amd.
Dying is no option.

xpander
Community Management

Post#7 » Mon May 24, 2021 12:06 pm

GPU isnt a problem for this game. its all about CPU. the only graphical options that change the performance are spell effects and view distance. use spelleffects party only or self only and view distance at half.. rest can be maxed.

limit the game to 4 cores only, should help smoothing the spikes a bit.
do not use buffhead or try to tweak its update timer. replace wsct with combattextnames for example (https://gitlab.com/nwwdles/war-addons/- ... ttextnames).

now doing that you still will have fps quite low but the spikes should go away at least.

Also run the 32bit executable... well both are 32bit anyway, but WAR.exe has 100 fps cap, which might make framerates a bit more stable than the uncapped WAR-64.exe

this addon helps also: https://tools.idrinth.de/addons/no-useless-mods/

just make sure to disable event-text if you are using combattextnames
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Install guide for Windows
Offical RoR Discord

AUR package for WARAddonClient

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Linux Gaming Videos

lamourlajoie

Post#8 » Mon May 24, 2021 12:23 pm

@xpander, thanks now we are progressing.
BUT as i said, my friends are playin with graphics on and they don't drop to 10 fps in fortresses
even tho they have lower end hardware than me...

why would i have to lower my expectations with a ryzen5 3600 which is barely peaking at 5% usage when i'm playin this game?
god damn i have better fps playin star citizen than warhammer online??? there's gotta be something we could do to make our hardware compatible with this game!

Ads
Glorian

Post#9 » Mon May 24, 2021 12:31 pm

lamourlajoie wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:23 pm @xpander, thanks now we are progressing.
BUT as i said, my friends are playin with graphics on and they don't drop to 10 fps in fortresses
even tho they have lower end hardware than me...

why would i have to lower my expectations with a ryzen5 3600 which is barely peaking at 5% usage when i'm playin this game?
god damn i have better fps playin star citizen than warhammer online??? there's gotta be something we could do to make our hardware compatible with this game!
Please apply all steps in the link in my signature to decrease lag and crashes.

lamourlajoie

Post#10 » Mon May 24, 2021 1:44 pm

@Glorian, thanks. I was allready doing 80% of these things but i'll investigate further on the points i missed.