Recent Topics

Ads

Theoretical Question - Steam Distribution

Problems installing or downloading the game? Check the Install Guide first.
Forum rules
READ THE INSTALL GUIDE BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS SUBFORUM.

The stickies exist to handle common queries. Save our time and yours by reading them first.

Thank you.
skullface

Theoretical Question - Steam Distribution

Post#1 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:48 am

Good Day!

I recently got myself into a group trading with Games removed from the Storefront in Steam.

They also got Gift versions of Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning up for offer. The price is beyond sane.

My question would be:
If i theoretically had a Steam Account with Warhammer Online associated to it, could i install and modify the Version distributed by Steam into a RoR Client, and clock Hours while playing?

Ads
xpander
Community Management

Re: Theoretical Question - Steam Distribution

Post#2 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:26 pm

Sorry for late reply.

You can theoretically modify the files to work with RoR by just Adding RoRLauncher into the game folder and letting it patch.
However, you can't clock the gamehours as steam has game configurations either removed or it starts with warpatch.exe which isnt used here.
The best you can do is to add RoRLauncher.exe as non-steam game into your steam library and run from there. You can add icons and nice banner images also to make it look nicer, but yeah thats the best you can do
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Install guide for Windows
Offical RoR Discord

AUR package for WARAddonClient

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Linux Gaming Videos

skullface

Re: Theoretical Question - Steam Distribution

Post#3 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:47 pm

No problem, Thanks for replying at all.

It's just a play of thought, but if i deleted warpatch.exe, copypasted the RoR Launcher and renamed it into warpatch.exe, Steam would run that as target executable.
But past that point, i cant make any calls. Either it then swallows that, or runs it, then scans for warpatch.exe, and doesnt recognize the launchers process.

I'm playing with the thought of picking up a copy, if it was possible to make it happen, to work it as a fully functional Steam Game.

Is anybody here that used to play WAR back in the day through Steam? Would love the possibility to test.

If not, already have added it as a none Steam Game. Would just be awesome if it was possible :D

Edit: Tueday, 29th - 1830 local time - according to SteamDB, theres 1 active Player on the Steam Version, Warhammer Online, AppID 24700 - either just running the executable, or having it figured. - hope link is okay. - https://steamdb.info/app/24700/graphs/

Edit: Tuesday, 6th of July - Found what i been looking for: https://returnofreckoning.com/forum/vie ... php?t=7376