Recent Topics

Ads

After the patch on 4 Dec 21 - game crashing

Problems installing or downloading the game? Check the Install Guide first.
Forum rules
READ THE INSTALL GUIDE BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS SUBFORUM.

The stickies exist to handle common queries. Save our time and yours by reading them first.

Thank you.
Semanon

After the patch on 4 Dec 21 - game crashing

Post#1 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:24 pm

After today's patch (4 Dec 21) RoR is failing to start and I get a pop up window stating the error message listed below. I have repaired the game and updated my graphics driver but it keeps failing to load. Any idea what is going on here? I have removed my user name for obvious reasons.

Language:
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'C:\Users\xxxxx\Desktop\Return of Reckoning\user\UserSettings.xml'.
File name: 'C:\Users\xxxxx\Desktop\Return of Reckoning\user\UserSettings.xml'
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor(String path, Encoding encoding, Boolean detectEncodingFromByteOrderMarks, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor(String path)
at RoRLauncher.ConfigWindow.ReadLanguage()

Ads
Waaghtastic

Re: After the patch on 4 Dec 21 - game crashing

Post#2 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:03 pm

… well have you checked if the mentioned file exists?

Could not find file 'C:\Users\xxxxx\Desktop\Return of Reckoning\user\UserSettings.xml

If not, try redownloading the client and extract the file?

Phantasm

Post#3 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:17 am

Drive C: is not a smart place to keep game files which very often are being overwrited by updates. And yes, desktop is also a part of drive C: . Move game to any other drive (create one 1st if you dont have it yet) and use repair tool (cog icon top right in launcher). Drive also means different partition. Not nessesary different physical drive.

Waaghtastic

Post#4 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:50 am

Phantasm wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:17 am Drive C: is not a smart place to keep game files which very often are being overwrited by updates.
Why?

zgolec

Post#5 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:04 am

Yea... I havent crashed game for ages.... and yday twice during forts.
SM 82 / IB 82 / KOTBS 82 / WL 82 / WP 72 / SW 75
CH 77 / BG 6X / BO 6X / WE 6X / MAG 6X ...and others.

Waaghtastic

Post#6 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:09 am

zgolec wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:04 am Yea... I havent crashed game for ages.... and yday twice during forts.
And your crash is related to this issue where the game does not start in what way🤔

zgolec

Post#7 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:13 am

Waaghtastic wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:09 am
zgolec wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:04 am Yea... I havent crashed game for ages.... and yday twice during forts.
And your crash is related to this issue where the game does not start in what way🤔
"After the patch on 4 Dec 21 - game crashing"

Did not reply to this particular problem as OP mentioned but the fact that yday patch is makin people crashing a lot.
Which you could have seen on both evening forts.

Still wonder how destro failed thsoe forts with more than half WBs gone crash again and again :P
SM 82 / IB 82 / KOTBS 82 / WL 82 / WP 72 / SW 75
CH 77 / BG 6X / BO 6X / WE 6X / MAG 6X ...and others.

Sulorie

Post#8 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:19 am

zgolec wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:13 am
Waaghtastic wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:09 am
"After the patch on 4 Dec 21 - game crashing"

Did not reply to this particular problem as OP mentioned but the fact that yday patch is makin people crashing a lot.
Which you could have seen on both evening forts.

Still wonder how destro failed thsoe forts with more than half WBs gone crash again and again :P
Didn't notice this in the warbands I was in and if people crash, it will happen on both sides anyway. :)

Don't run games from desktop. Check if anything is write protected.
Dying is no option.

Ads
Semanon

Post#9 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:41 am

Thank you for all the replies. The game had been running perfectly up until Saturday's 4 Dec 21 patch. Its only since the Patch that this crash is happening. I am running the game from the desktop on previous advice from one of the lead game GMs who said that the game is better running from the desktop. I have checked my RoR user setting and that file is there. This is disappointing as I would hate my time with RoR come to an end due to this sort of error.

GRUSZKA

Post#10 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:41 am

It may be something with a lock on file left by not properly closed game or some action during patch. Try full shut down your PC / laptop, so these locks on files are released.
Windows 10 normally is not actually shutting down, but going into kind of sleep mode. So do it by pressing and holding the Shift key on your keyboard while you click the “Shut Down” option in Windows. Or running " shutdown /s /f /t 0 " in command prompt (without ""). If you have laptop, you can also hold the Power button for 15-20 seconds until all lights BLINK and then start your system again.
Last edited by GRUSZKA on Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is a dark age, a bloody age, an age of daemons and of sorcery. It is an age of battle and death, and of the world's ending. Amidst all of the fire, flame and fury it is a time, too, of mighty heroes, of bold deeds and great courage.