Recent Topics

Ads

[deprecated] RoR Under Linux

Problems installing or downloading the game? Check the Install Guide first.
Forum rules
READ THE INSTALL GUIDE BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS SUBFORUM.

The stickies exist to handle common queries. Save our time and yours by reading them first.

Thank you.
Vralkhir

Re: [Guide] RoR Under Linux

Post#51 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:39 am

I will, soon as I get home ;-)

Ads
Xennma

Post#52 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:09 am

Korrus wrote:I'm not getting past the data.myp error which is (I believe) the culprit for the characters not showing up in the game. lodctr /r is somehow broken for me so it does nothing to help, and all the links to download a working data.myp file are dead.

Anyone with a working data.myp, please upload it.
The following Github Release contains a working data.myp file:
https://github.com/ThiconZ/Return-of-Re ... r/releases

Vralkhir

Post#53 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:22 pm

Ahh, great, so I dont have to upload :-)
Good luck!

Korrus

Post#54 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:11 pm

Xennma wrote:
Korrus wrote:I'm not getting past the data.myp error which is (I believe) the culprit for the characters not showing up in the game. lodctr /r is somehow broken for me so it does nothing to help, and all the links to download a working data.myp file are dead.

Anyone with a working data.myp, please upload it.
The following Github Release contains a working data.myp file:
https://github.com/ThiconZ/Return-of-Re ... r/releases
Thank you! Let's see if I can revisit this world once more! Played for a year or so back when it released (and maybe even a beta or something). The nostalgia runs deep. Total War: Warhammer really reminded me how much I enjoyed the atmosphere.

Update: It runs just about perfectly for me with wine 1.9.10-staging. On 2.0-staging and 2.1-staging all I get is black.

Performance is just fine, nothing amazing, aside from noticeable frame drops when I enter a new area that it has to render/load, but I think that is just the game. I have no Windows to use for comparison.

A minor unresolved issue I have is with sound. I'm not sure how to describe it, but sometimes it sounds as if it's rapidly alternating between a high and low volume, back and forth maybe 3-10 times over the course of about a second, and sometimes there's a stutter. Now that I think about it, it is similar to issues I've had before both in GW2 and on my laptop (not even just in wine) and it's probably pulseaudio that is to blame.

xpander
Community Management

Post#55 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:53 pm

i have the same issue. error with data.myp, main menu works but no characters or character creation

edit: never mind, the link posted few posts ago for the github page has data.myp which fixes the issue ;)

From quick testing it seems to run perfectly.
wine-staging 2.4 CSMT enabled.
winetricks dotnet40 d3dx9
windows 7 mode

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X@3,9ghz, 32GB DDR4@2666mhz, Geforce GTX1050Ti (my GTX1070 is RMA)
Arch Linux x86_64

Really happy with the performance so far also. no idea about the exact framerates though.
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Install guide for Windows
Offical RoR Discord

AUR package for WARAddonClient

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Linux Gaming Videos

Xennma

Post#56 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:19 pm

Korrus wrote: Thank you! Let's see if I can revisit this world once more! Played for a year or so back when it released (and maybe even a beta or something). The nostalgia runs deep. Total War: Warhammer really reminded me how much I enjoyed the atmosphere.
xpander wrote:i have the same issue. error with data.myp, main menu works but no characters or character creation

edit: never mind, the link posted few posts ago for the github page has data.myp which fixes the issue ;)
Glad the files in the link worked for the both of you. I updated the release the other day as well to no longer require Performance Counters (along with other things) which may also help get rid of some errors you may still be having.

Link with version 1.0.0.3: https://github.com/ThiconZ/Return-of-Re ... r/releases

xpander
Community Management

Post#57 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:36 pm

@Xennma Cheers for that, will be testing it out ;)

made a video about it also to raise some awareness, that it can be played under linux.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIP4Fep4VWw

i played several hours in row the other day with my friends, had 1 single crash to desktop. other than that seems to perform really well

edit: Cheers for the new launcher and stuff, seems to crash less frequently and no errors popping up on the launcher also ;)
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Install guide for Windows
Offical RoR Discord

AUR package for WARAddonClient

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Linux Gaming Videos

Xennma

Post#58 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:28 am

xpander wrote:@Xennma Cheers for that, will be testing it out ;)

made a video about it also to raise some awareness, that it can be played under linux.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIP4Fep4VWw

i played several hours in row the other day with my friends, had 1 single crash to desktop. other than that seems to perform really well

edit: Cheers for the new launcher and stuff, seems to crash less frequently and no errors popping up on the launcher also ;)
Glad it's working out well for you. My Ubuntu test environment for it has its own existing issues so when I test the changes I make to make it more Linux friendly I can never be completely sure they will apply for users with a proper working environment.

I don't have any more ideas at the moment for features to add to it and it appears all the critical issues are now resolved. If you have any suggestions or run into any issues with it feel free to let me know and I'll look into implementing them. Hopefully this is found to be more useful for Windows and Linux users as it handles a lot of the existing errors that users previously came to the forums reporting (like read-only files and performance counters). I have however only posted it here in this thread so chances are Windows users haven't seen it unfortunately.

Ads
Kallestofeles

Post#59 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:37 am

Does anyone know what might cause the ground gamma to be messed up? All the buildings and objects are fine, but the ground is too bright. It was fine initially, but for some reason changed to such at one point and I'm unable to pinpoint what changed.
- Settings in-game have no effect
- Clean prefix
- Wine2.5-staging
- CSMT enabled
- d3dx9 full package
- dotnet40

Any ideas? :cry:

Niien

Post#60 » Sat May 06, 2017 8:41 am

I just started with PlayOnLinux/Wine today, however I got this figured out for this game tonight.

For PlayOnLinux I took the following steps to get it to work with Ubuntu 16.04:
1. Downloaded the files from the torrent with a linux torrent program that was already installed
http://www.returnofreckoning.com/files/ ... nt.torrent

2. Downloaded the data.myp file included in this zip
https://github.com/ThiconZ/Return-of-Re ... .0.0.3.zip

3. In the PlayOnLinux app, I clicked on Tools> Manage Wine versions (x86)

4. I installed 2.4-staging

5. In the PlayonLinux app, I clicked the install button, then clicked on the bottom left hand corner that said install a non-listed program

6. I told it to install on a new virtual drive and gave it a name on the next screen

7. I clicked all three check boxes on the next window (use another version of Wine, Configure Wine, Install some libraries

8. I picked the 2.4 staging version of wine on the next screen

9. Selected 32bits

10. When the configure wine screen came up, I made sure it was using windows 7 and then clicked okay

11. On the lib window I selected POL_Install_d3dx9 and POL_Install_dotnet40

12. I then copied all my files from above to my virtual drive that was something like this /home/$USER/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/RoR/drive_c/ror RoR was my virtual drive name in step 6. and ror is the folder name I created to dump all my files in including the launcher and the data.myp

13. I then clicked on the browse button and selected the RoRLauncher.exe for a shortcut

I believe that's about it. Hopefully this helps someone get the game running so they can come slaughter me :)