Recent Topics

Ads

[deprecated] RoR Under Linux

Problems installing or downloading the game? Check the Install Guide first.
Forum rules
READ THE INSTALL GUIDE BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS SUBFORUM.

The stickies exist to handle common queries. Save our time and yours by reading them first.

Thank you.
Demorde

[deprecated] RoR Under Linux

Post#1 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:42 pm

Hello folks,

Heres a little information about how to get RoR to work under Linux. I am going to assume that you're at least somewhat familiar with Linux in this guide and know how to run your own commands for your own distro. I am going to be using Fedora 22 as my basis for this - but it should work on Ubuntu, Mint or anything else. I am using wine-1.7.49 (Staging) and wine-mono 4.5.6.

I would suggest creating a brand new 32-bit wineprefix or using an existing one. It has to be 32bit. Using winetricks install the following:

Code: Select all

comctl32ocx comctl32 comdig32ocx d3dx9_* dotnet40
From this you can run the RoR launcher and login and play! The launcher seems to push out an error, but still connects fine and gets you ingame. I haven't played long, nor messed with the default settings - however it isn't throwing anything odd in wine so I think it'll be ok. :)

EDIT

It appears if you put the texture cache beyond anything but 'default' you will crash when rotating the camera. So uh, don't do that.

Last edited by Demorde on Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ads
Dana
Former Staff

Re: [Guide] RoR Under Linux

Post#2 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:18 am

Thank you very much! = Sticky!
"A danger foreseen is a danger avoided."

Dana - WE
Horsegirl - DoK

Morgan

Post#3 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:42 pm

Can't run new launcer in mint, it crashes when input field (login or password) gets focus with console output:

Code: Select all

fixme:advapi:RegisterEventSourceW ((null),L".NET Runtime"): stub
fixme:advapi:ReportEventW (0xcafe4242,0x0001,0x0000,0x00000401,(nil),0x0001,0x00000000,0x33d6a8,(nil)): stub
err:eventlog:ReportEventW L"Application: RoRLauncher.exe\nFramework Version: v4.0.30319\nDescription: The application requested process termination through System.Environment.FailFast(string message).\nMessage: Unrecoverable system error.\nStack:\n   at System.Environment.FailFast(System.String)\n   at MS.Internal.Invariant.Fai"...
fixme:advapi:DeregisterEventSource (0xcafe4242) stub
fixme:rpc:RpcServerUnregisterIfEx (IfSpec == (RPC_IF_HANDLE)^0x401c18, MgrTypeUuid == (null), RundownContextHandles == 1): stub
fixme:advapi:UnregisterTraceGuids deadbeef: stub
have you any ideas, what else i should add to existing wine/mono installation?

UPD solved by installing mxsml3 before dotnet4 via winetricks

UPD2. Damn .. it works w/o patching wine. Only one issue - should be used in fullscreen mode, to prevent losing mouse if pointer moved out of window borders.

clements

Post#4 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:45 pm

i am able to launch the game and login but am unable to create a character. seems like a similar others are having. set permissions to 777 on all files to rule that out.

http://imgur.com/gs6T5Udl.png

ropuch

Post#5 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:05 pm

Back in the past I needed to patch & recompile wine to get WAR works. I was running it on Linux Mint afair, on box with 4GB of ram, CPU-integrated graphic card handling two monitors. SC wasn't really an option, but I was able to farm lizards in LOTD ;-) On modern box with dedicated GPU it should be playable. I think I was using this guide: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=974986. It's pretty old and most likely this patch was already incorportated (or not ;-) in wine, but maybe someone will find this usefull. Unfortunatelly I have only virtual machines at the moment, so I can't check this myself. Good luck, anyway! [;
A Pounce Too Far: http://imgur.com/KeSt8WL

alan14

Post#6 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:06 pm

@Clements

same prob at first launch and all the next restarts are black screens with the mouse pointer only, looks close to something working but no clue :p

magicthighs
Former Staff

Post#7 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:14 am

The game runs very well in qemu with vga passthrough too, if you don't want to mess about with wine.

Vralkhir

Post#8 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:06 am

Hello All!

Just tried to run the game again, since the settings Demorde used are for the most part the same ones I tried back in the days: http://www.returnofreckoning.com/forum/ ... f=4&t=2973

Again Iam stuck at the very same problem as before:
- Game starts
- Main Window is opened
- no way to create a character or choose a server http://imgur.com/WwycSyu
i am able to launch the game and login but am unable to create a character. seems like a similar others are having. set permissions to 777 on all files to rule that out.

http://imgur.com/gs6T5Udl.png
I also made sure all permissions are set to 777 like clements suggested, but didnt work out :cry:

Does anyone have an idea? I was so eager to play WAR again and this post sparked high hopes and seeing that it did already work and I cannot reproduce this success frustrates me.

Thanks folks

Ads
Vralkhir

Post#9 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:13 pm

Ok, got it working since the day before yesterday and gotta say I missed that game.
I still dont know the problem though... Just copied my brothers client from his windows machine and that one worked flawlessly using the same WINE-prefix.

I suggest turning on the CSMT settings in winecfg -> staging
Seems to run smoother on my system and fixed all the texture-errors I was running in.

Thank You demorde!!!

Vralkhir

JeFawk

Post#10 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:23 pm

Wow awesome :D