Recent Topics

Ads

[deprecated] RoR Under Linux

Problems installing or downloading the game? Check the Install Guide first.
Forum rules
READ THE INSTALL GUIDE BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS SUBFORUM.

The stickies exist to handle common queries. Save our time and yours by reading them first.

Thank you.
murdor

Re: [Guide] RoR Under Linux

Post#131 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:13 pm

hey there, i am trying to install RoR for the irst time, and i'm a new linux user, running Manjaro. i'm using wine staging 3.2, i used winetricks to get the necessary files, i managed to install the game under a win32 wine prefix made for it but when i run the launcher, the windows is very flickery, and crashes if i ever click the username/password fields, making me unable to attempt to log in.

if i don't try to write my username or password, the launcher updates files every time until it stabilizes visually, stopping the flickering. but then, if i click username/password, it crashes.

i have already replaced the data.myp file and used the rust-made launcher from git hub (i'm not so sure i used it correctly, i just replaced everything in game folder with it) and even tried an old launcher from a zip someone posted like 2 pages ago on this thread. that launcher seemed very stable, but it updated really quick and i'm back and the new "buggy" one

if anyone has any suggestion, i'd like to hear it
thanks in advance

Ads
Jinxypie

Post#132 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:49 pm

Try different Wine versions. Some gave me same artifacts you are describing.
Also managing all thru Playonlinux is much more user friendly. Theres video guide in different topic if you dont know how to operate it.

So dont give up! More ppl showing middle finger to Microsoft the better :p
DoK RR80+, Chosen RR80+, Choppa RR70+, SH RR75+ WP RR65+

murdor

Post#133 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:28 pm

i've been trying different wine versions. first through playonlinux, but then i wasn't sure it was using the version i picked for the prefix, so i used pacman to try between normal wine, wine staging an wine staging with gallium. in the process i tried making several prefixes, through playonlinux and after the terminal. i don't know what i did wrong but now i always get this when trying to run the launcher from the terminal

Code: Select all

Unhandled Exception:
System.Runtime.InteropServices.MarshalDirectiveException: [MarshalAs] attribute required to marshal arrays to managed code.
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.Runtime.InteropServices.MarshalDirectiveException: [MarshalAs] attribute required to marshal arrays to managed code.
whatever version i use. i guess i took a big step back :?

murdor

Post#134 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:30 pm

after reinstalling the game in a new prefix, and installing dotnet40 twice through winetricks (the first try i got a "installation complete" window but an error in the terminal - and the launcher wouldn't start) the previous problem disappeare (launcher is sometime a bit flickery on mouse over but doesnt crash when i write usernampassword).

so now, when i click "connect" the game launches but i get a white screen, and can only see the cursor, i can hear the cinematics and intro music, i can even get the greenskin stench on my nose, but no display :/

it seems like what this post described:
alan14 wrote:@Clements

same prob at first launch and all the next restarts are black screens with the mouse pointer only, looks close to something working but no clue :p

UPDATE: after trying out different winte-staging versions unsuccessfully, i came back to manjaro's official rep's wine_staging_4.0 before trying out something suggested before here, running the next command in command line inside the wine prefix (had to install "cmd .exe" through wine tricks inside the prefix and run it through explorer):

Code: Select all

lodctr /r
and now things are working perfectly (or almost :D i have that bright floor texture thing some people reported) with awesome performance - much better than when i played the official WAR

thanks to everyone that posted on this thread!

bichka

Post#135 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:15 am

OMG GUYS!

I am actually run it under FreeBSD12 with i386-wine-devel-4.0.r1
If you have some .NET error message - run RoRUpdater.exe. For me it's successeful updated game to current state and i was able to run it.

if no updates available RoRUpdater will show in console "Signature ok!" and quit.
So to make it work properly in any case, make an alias or script to run RoRUpdater before RoRLauncher.

It's works without any troubles, updated game and actually run it. Hurray!
Spoiler:

xpander
Community Management

Post#136 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:31 pm

Very nice @bichka :D

I have been doing some T1 RvR every other day under Linux, its quite good, still have the overly bright ground issue, but its not that big of a deal. Such an amazing game, too bad the engine is pretty bad on this.
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Install guide for Windows
Offical RoR Discord

AUR package for WARAddonClient

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Linux Gaming Videos

nortes

Post#137 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:44 pm

xpander wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:31 pm Very nice @bichka :D

I have been doing some T1 RvR every other day under Linux, its quite good, still have the overly bright ground issue, but its not that big of a deal. Such an amazing game, too bad the engine is pretty bad on this.
Unfortunately, the whole game after the T1 is limited to sc, pve and, sometimes, low-populated rvr zones , coz bad lags and freezes :/ i still love this game even with this form, but yeah, you can't do much under wine...

Dephyant

Post#138 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:54 pm

nortes wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:44 pm Unfortunately, the whole game after the T1 is limited to sc, pve and, sometimes, low-populated rvr zones , coz bad lags and freezes :/ i still love this game even with this form, but yeah, you can't do much under wine...
I get a bit framey when I run into large blobs after t1 so I've been sticking with range classes(my pc is kinda a potato). I did switch to the zen kernel in arch linux and things have been a tad smoother the last few days.

Ads
Yiazmate

Post#139 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:44 am

Hello there :)

Thanks to the information provided here; The installation process went smoothly without any problem, thus I was able to run the game!

The only problem I encountered was the low frame rate; a problem on my part.

Once again, many thanks for those who contributed on this thread :)

Dephyant

Post#140 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:36 pm

Recently an update in arch killed font rendering in the launcher and the game so I went with a clean wine install to clear it up. I added wine-nine on top of wine-4.3 (Staging)
which greatly improved performance. I did that standard setup dotnet40, d3dx9(at first also did d3dx9_36?). I enabled galilum and disabled CSMT as CSMT seems no longer needed with this setup. I've encountered some graphical glitches with particle effects which you can kinda see in this SS down in the fog.

Anytime there is a spell effect on me it's like I'm in a black bubble if the camera is panned down close to my character. I was wondering if anyone else has seen this?

I've tried enable/disable glsl, csmt etc. Various in game setting but nothing has changed with those effects.