Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Akalukz

Re: Changelog 25/11/16

Post#121 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:34 pm

Marsares wrote:
Akalukz wrote:
Marsares wrote:
Well, as a mostly ranged AOE class that is not reliant on cleave attacks, it seems to me that you are less likely to hit friendly targets and thus actually may benefit from these potential changes.

But hey, I guess people just want to read "50% AOE damage reduction" and then go "Oh-my-f&cking-god-nerd-rage-throw-prams-out-of-my-cot" rather than read, discuss and argue about how it should be in their eyes, after they understand the changes fully - which nobody yet does.

I forgot magus only has ranged AoE ... no pbaoe at all, no design whatsoever for close quarters aoe combat.
Did I say you only have ranged AOE? No. But again, you choose to read whatever you want to read and then QQ about it.

Magus is certainly less reliant on PBAOE or Cleave attacks compared to most other AOE classes.
I will just chock this up to you having never played a magus in ORvR possibly, not sure what else to say. My original post was in jest mostly, but not entirely. A rifting magus relies heavily on PBAOE (conical and 360) damage in the front lines. The only ranged AoE damage is used by a rifting magus is for the spirit debuff. I would suggest people get on boared with rifter's soon if AoE caps are removed, as the speaks a of return of Rift/PoS etc.

I really am not trying to argue with you Marsares, but to say this doesn't over affect a magus is simply not true. Atleast not a magus that is played as per description of the class fully utilizing to trees of mastery that actually complement each other.

An additional problem with this will be scenarios, a magus is already a liablity in scenarios for the most part, now thier fluff damage is even less fluffable lol
-= Agony =-

Ads
Cimba

Post#122 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:40 pm

The proposed system form Azarael seems rather complicated to me. Has anybody thought a damage drop off on aoe abilities through? DAOC used (uses?) this kind of system where the damage is gradually reduced from it's center to edges of the aoe radius. With the aoe cap gone this would naturally discourage bunching too much because everyone just takes more damage if you do.

Marsares

Post#123 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:55 pm

Akalukz wrote:I will just chock this up to you having never played a magus in ORvR possibly, not sure what else to say. My original post was in jest mostly, but not entirely. A rifting magus relies heavily on PBAOE (conical and 360) damage in the front lines. The only ranged AoE damage is used by a rifting magus is for the spirit debuff. I would suggest people get on boared with rifter's soon if AoE caps are removed, as the speaks a of return of Rift/PoS etc.

I really am not trying to argue with you Marsares, but to say this doesn't over affect a magus is simply not true. Atleast not a magus that is played as per description of the class fully utilizing to trees of mastery that actually complement each other.

An additional problem with this will be scenarios, a magus is already a liablity in scenarios for the most part, now thier fluff damage is even less fluffable lol
You are right, I have never played a Magus, albeit briefly an Engy. However, I have played in alpha bombing WBs (Crimson, Red Guard, King's Own) who used magnet-engys to devastating effect. My point is, a rift Magus or magnet Engy does not get taken into a WB for their damage, but for their rift/magnet. They are called Riftbots or Magnetbots for a reason, as they really provide only one major utility - like tanks are often referred to as guard-bot.

Does that make it fair or right? No. But that's an issue with the class, and because of a class issue one should not discount wider AOE changes out of hand.
Karak-Norn /// Asildur - RR100 WL /// Marsares - RR95 AM /// Nirnaeth - RR64 SW

Morf

Post#124 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:04 pm

So much bs, you think war is the only game to have issues ? there are gaming devs that have been in the industry for decades that cannot make a system that works right, there is no perfect system, there is no fix, especially for zerging, ppl will always blob together for safety nothing will change this, everything has been tried before, nobody played eso where aoe caps where always spoken about ? they had aoe caps and they didnt, nothing really changed.
You cannot reinvent the wheel so to speak, games like this with mass pvp will always have issues, i really wish instead of thinking you all have the answers just remember what we loved about AOR and focused on improving that instead of turning ROR into a completely different game, we are all here because of AOR, we get barely any new players, drastic changes (aoe caps etc etc) does more bad then good.

You cannot change/fix zerging !!!
Morfee - Shaman / Mynnos - Kotbs / Grubod - Black Orc / Snubz - Squig Herder

Marsares

Post#125 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:16 pm

Morf wrote:So much bs, you think war is the only game to have issues ? there are gaming devs that have been in the industry for decades that cannot make a system that works right, there is no perfect system, there is no fix, especially for zerging, ppl will always blob together for safety nothing will change this, everything has been tried before, nobody played eso where aoe caps where always spoken about ? they had aoe caps and they didnt, nothing really changed.
You cannot reinvent the wheel so to speak, games like this with mass pvp will always have issues, i really wish instead of thinking you all have the answers just remember what we loved about AOR and focused on improving that instead of turning ROR into a completely different game, we are all here because of AOR, we get barely any new players, drastic changes (aoe caps etc etc) does more bad then good.

You cannot change/fix zerging !!!
Maybe you should speak for yourself, rather than saying "we are all here because of AOR"?

I certainly am not. As much as I liked AOR, it was such a horrible game in the end, it was just a total and utter joke with imbalances all over the place. I certainly don't play RoR because AOR was such a good game, after all, if it was it would have still been around. I play RoR because of the potential that AOR had, which was never fulfilled and which the Devs here are trying to realise.
Morf wrote:You cannot change/fix zerging !!!
Nope, you certainly cannot fix it by arguing for the status quo all the time. However, you can try to change it by discussing things and trying new things, but you don't seem to be open to that.

Morf

Post#126 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:30 pm

Marsares wrote: You cannot change/fix zerging !!!
Maybe you should speak for yourself, rather than saying "we are all here because of AOR"?

I certainly am not. As much as I liked AOR, it was such a horrible game in the end, it was just a total and utter joke with imbalances all over the place. I certainly don't play RoR because AOR was such a good game, after all, if it was it would have still been around. I play RoR because of the potential that AOR had, which was never fulfilled and which the Devs here are trying to realise.
Morf wrote:You cannot change/fix zerging !!!
Nope, you certainly cannot fix it by arguing for the status quo all the time. However, you can try to change it by discussing things and trying new things, but you don't seem to be open to that.
Says the guy with his old AOR chars listed in his sig, if AOR didnt exist we wouldnt be here, if we had never played AOR we wouldnt be here, sure it wasnt perfect but it didnt need MASSIVE changes like some are discussing.

As for arguing and discussing, been there done that, you think since the days of DAOC devs have not been doing this ? yet here we are and these type of games suffer from the same problems, you cannot fix this, it would be stupid to think you can, every idea has been thought of, thought of by ppl who's whole live revolves around game genres like war, there will always be problems, the sooner ppl realise there is no perfect system and start to remember why we loved AOR the better.

Marsares

Post#127 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:35 pm

Morf wrote:Says the guy with his old AOR chars listed in his sig, if AOR didnt exist we wouldnt be here, if we had never played AOR we wouldnt be here, sure it wasnt perfect but it didnt need MASSIVE changes like some are discussing.

As for arguing and discussing, been there done that, you think since the days of DAOC devs have not been doing this ? yet here we are and these type of games suffer from the same problems, you cannot fix this, it would be stupid to think you can, every idea has been thought of, thought of by ppl who's whole live revolves around game genres like war, there will always be problems, the sooner ppl realise there is no perfect system and start to remember why we loved AOR the better.
Yes, I got my AOR chars listed. Is that a problem? No. Does that imply that I thought AOR was a good game? No. As I stated before in my previous post, which you neglected to read, I thought that especially in the end it was shockingly bad.

The only thing that is really stupid is accepting the status quo and not trying to fix things. Indeed, that attitude will get you far in life. There may not be a perfect system, but we may be able to improve the current one. If we try. And, indeed, there most certainly is a better one than AOR was.

Akalukz

Post#128 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:40 pm

I think they are on the correct track to breaking zergs, they are putting the stick in place, but there is still no carrot so to speak. The rewards in the game are centered around the keeps (currently). Give something worthwhile away from the keep.

As to sticking together for safety, why wouldn't people stick with others, when you can be killed in mere seconds. Want to give us pugs a reason to not tag along with a group, put in a wounds buff in ORvR. People don't like to die without at least a chance of doing something.
-= Agony =-

Ads
Morf

Post#129 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:49 pm

Marsares wrote:
Yes, I got my AOR chars listed. Is that a problem? No. Does that imply that I thought AOR was a good game? No.

The only thing that is really stupid is accepting the status quo and not trying to fix things. Indeed, that attitude will get you far in life. There may not be a perfect system, but we may be able to improve the current one. If we try. And, indeed, there most certainly is a better one than AOR was.
I was once super enthusiastic as you are and then i realised you cannot stop players from doing what they want to do, this isnt stupidity at all its realistic (being realistic in life will get you further then being foolish), it would be stupid to think you can change someones mentality when there whole reason to play is to zerg/blob.

Sure there is a better rvr system then what there was in AOR but it will never stop or fix zerg issues, its an endless problem and in the end change after change after change the game has evolved to be nothing like AOR and the pop will shrink (pop is already suffering fyi, there were times when 1.2-1.4k players were online, you are lucky to see 1k player now).

seara

Post#130 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:58 pm

Morf wrote:......
You are right Morf, but stop going on about it before someone sees it. The proof is in the pudding.
I have given my very thought out opinions, the classes have had many states during live. But the experience is not being drawn. The 2 most played classes on live now fits into no composition at all, apart from WP/dok with a tank.
Last edited by seara on Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.