Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Phantasm

Re: Patch Notes 23/06/2022

Post#141 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:54 am

Spoiler:
Everdin wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:48 am
Phantasm wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:40 am
Everdin wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:31 am Best way to encourage new players to explore the game on a slower level, while not punishing older players to hard would be to add account wide one-time-quests.

e.g. player hit rank 5 and get some quest introducing the basics of pvp in some way. at the end he gets some renown and 25 crests (half of t1 set gear).

With higher ranks there are more complex tutorials with bigger rewards and always some "kill player" tasks.

Quests could contain common how-to-play basics, Archtype-specials like guard, rezz or cleans and some help where to get gear from.

If a player already did these quests on one char he can reset the quest-line but won't get any more reward (Or just repeat a specifc lesson selected out of the tome).
I guess some tutorial could be done with addons, but who gonna do it? No many ppl able that still play.
How many addons do you think a new player has installed? :P

It must be implemented right from the start, everything else would be no help for new players.

If there is a way to recreate a whole city with long quest lines, regular events with changing quests and goals, I'm sure there is time and knowledge to do this, but it's just my 2 cents regarding this.
Literally none. Fresh install got no addons. Which is a shame, few UI elements could be easy replaced with basic addons like Enemy Frames, Cmap or Buffhead.
Spoiler:
Gravord wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:52 am
Everdin wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:50 am
Gravord wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:45 am

By your own calculation doing sc only takes 295 wins to hit lvl 40. Sounds like plenty time to learn basics of the class to me...
It feels like there are r90 players which not learned the basics yet....
That might be true but no magic scroll will ever help with that ;)
Refreshed tutorial, few quests helping understand RvR and archatype trinity and more balanced xp/rp income would.

Ads
Everdin

Post#142 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:04 pm

The ranked concept controlling what archetypes are qued could also be modified for low tier, to reward people playing under represented archtypes. This would not help new players directly, but players with a bunch of characters in all tiers could be encouraged to help out t1 or t2/3 with missing classes
#AllClassesMatter

“A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame somebody else.”

― John Burroughs

Talladego

Post#143 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:04 pm

Spoiler:
ReturnOfReckoning wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:19 am
The Instructor's Boon which gives a XP reduction has been removed from the game.

Nowadays this is mostly used by veteran players to stay in T2/T3 a very long time at lvl 35-39 and farm lower level players. Some players might think that is fun for them, but it is detrimental to the game itself.

We also have a set of enhancements coming to tackle some concerns that occur in T1 and T2/T3. We have plans to review the leveling and gearing process pre-T4 and we're rolling out a survey to understand the main points where an actual fresh player is mostly concerned about.
Well the Instructor's Boon was just a poor compromise to allowing players to stay indefinitely in what ever tier they want.
Which would have been the better option since that would allow casual players to enjoy the game without investing all the time and grind required to compete in Tier 4.

All this twinking nonsense is not and never has been a serious issue in RoR.
Even if it was, Tier 4 is by far the worst when it comes to lowbie farming.

Gravord

Post#144 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:06 pm

Phantasm wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:54 am
Spoiler:
Phantasm wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:40 am

I guess some tutorial could be done with addons, but who gonna do it? No many ppl able that still play.

It must be implemented right from the start, everything else would be no help for new players.

If there is a way to recreate a whole city with long quest lines, regular events with changing quests and goals, I'm sure there is time and knowledge to do this, but it's just my 2 cents regarding this.
Literally none. Fresh install got no addons. Which is a shame, few UI elements could be easy replaced with basic addons like Enemy Frames, Cmap or Buffhead.
Spoiler:
Everdin wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:50 am

It feels like there are r90 players which not learned the basics yet....
Refreshed tutorial, few quests helping understand RvR and archatype trinity and more balanced xp/rp income would.
Incorporating certain addons as part of the core ui would be great for sure.

As for tutorials, there's plenty written and video guides made over the past 13 years, not like there's no knowledge to tap into for new players, if they wish so.

Everdin

Post#145 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:12 pm

Gravord wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:06 pm
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

As for tutorials, there's plenty written and video guides made over the past 13 years, not like there's no knowledge to tap into for new players, if they wish so.
We don't need video tutorials or writtend guides people won't look at, it must be "I have a quest for you, it will improve your gameplay and you will get rewarded", there are a lot of players don't care about any word in front of the and. But at least they will do it, and if you repeat those lessons they will maybe adapt it.

Edit: And beside this, it's not only about the tutorial, but about getting newer players ready faster
#AllClassesMatter

“A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame somebody else.”

― John Burroughs

Gravord

Post#146 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:16 pm

Everdin wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:12 pm
Gravord wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:06 pm
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

We don't need video tutorials or writtend guides people won't look at, it must be "I have a quest for you, it will improve your gameplay and you will get rewarded", there are a lot of players don't care about any word in front of the and. But at least they will do it, and if you repeat those lessons they will maybe adapt it.
The same quests ppl skip without reading in every mmo ever? You cant teach ppl against their will. If they are motivated on their own they will find what they need to succeed.

Everdin

Post#147 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:18 pm

If you repeat these things it's not teaching, it's positiv behavioral conditioning ;)

Edit: I prefer negativ behavioral conditioning, but beside it is way more difficult to implement electric shock everytime someone makes something stupid, there are a lot of people wouldn't like that!
#AllClassesMatter

― John Burroughs

Flowson
Game Artist

Post#148 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:00 pm

Scenarios

- The minimum renown and XP gains for the losing side in a scenario is now 25% of the winning renown & XP gains. Just like before, the gains scale with points, so the closer score is when the scenario ends, the more rewards the losing side will get.
This will increase Scenario-Numbers big time :) Thanks for makin this happen!

Ads