Recent Topics

Ads

How to write up an official bug report

Ask for in-game support. Bugs go to the Bug Tracker.
Forum rules
READ THE STICKIED THREADS BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS SUBFORUM.

The answers you may seek are likely already there.

Thank you.
Elven
Former Staff

How to write up an official bug report

Post#1 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:49 pm

As some people have request. I have written up a basic template on how to report an in-game bug.

This template should cover the majority of bug report formats.

This should remove any confusion that the community have, when writing up a bug report. Thus making our ( the RoR team) lives much easier.

Remeber: Report Only ONE bug per ONE report.

Providing that you follow this template guide. It will help aid the dev member to figure out EXACTLY what bug you are reporting.

All bug reports should be submitted through the Github repository, which can be found by clicking here or at the top of the web page "Bugtracker".

Bug Report Template:

Title:

<Brief explanation of the bug including what race, class and type of bug. I.e. Ability/Emulator/Quest/Item>

An introduction:

<what the bug is and the effects it has or hasn't (if any)>

Details:

<Detailed information regarding the bug and what the result is. This will include what the ACTUAL outcome should be (if it was working correctly).>

Evidence:

<Generally I always include visual evidence of the bug. A screenshot or video as visual aid.>

Additional Information:

<Anything I would feel would benefit the dev member reading my bug report>

How to reproduce the bug:

<If the bug is something that requires an input from the user or a few steps to recreate it. I would write how to recreate the bug.>*

*This step I would write how to recreate it, as if the person who was following my guide has never used the software (excluding the obvious, such as loading up the game and creating the character).

Example:
Spoiler:
As long as you follow the basic principles of the template, you should be fine.

***I will update OP from time to time, when needed.***

Ads
Elven
Former Staff

Re: How to write up an official bug report

Post#2 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:53 pm

Reserved for future use.

Halobravo

Post#3 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:58 pm

Thanks for the guide! I am going to ask a few random questions that probably aren't necessary but here we go.

With the bug reports already in Github that are kinda crap, should we still count them as proper bug reports? Perhaps post more information within them to help sort things out?

Are any bugs too small to report? *example* In the Orc starting area one of the npc's has a little raven buddy by her, and you can attack it, but it doesn't take any damage. Doesn't affect anything, but it is a bit strange, should probably be a friendly NPC.

You should also probably mention that you stick to only one specific bug per report. People like to scatter shot several bugs together. Although in your example picture you do add a note that while related to quests, wasn't exactly related to the bug posted. Perhaps adding in extra stuff is acceptable if its related?

How should we handle things that are very obviously broken? *example* Class mechanics don't work, and because of that every class has many spells that either work when they shouldn't, or are just flat out broken. It feels like until the class mechanics are fixed all that extra stuff just doesn't matter. Another example would be public quests don't really work. Reporting all of them seems a bit silly at this point (or maybe its not silly).

Thanks for the guide, I appreciate it a lot. And I realize my questions might be a bit silly or might be too specific that they don't really matter, but hey it cant hurt to ask questions right? :)

Elven
Former Staff

Post#4 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:23 pm

Halobravo wrote:Thanks for the guide! I am going to ask a few random questions that probably aren't necessary but here we go.
With the bug reports already in Github that are kinda crap, should we still count them as proper bug reports? Perhaps post more information within them to help sort things out?

This ultimately will be up to Max. If he wishes them to be either re-done, or the author of the bug should return to his/her bug report and "flesh it out", to make it become a more competent report.

Are any bugs too small to report? *example* In the Orc starting area one of the npc's has a little raven buddy by her, and you can attack it, but it doesn't take any damage. Doesn't affect anything, but it is a bit strange, should probably be a friendly NPC.

Any bug, small or large should be raised. This example is peculiar and I would suggest raising it.

You should also probably mention that you stick to only one specific bug per report. People like to scatter shot several bugs together. Although in your example picture you do add a note that while related to quests, wasn't exactly related to the bug posted. Perhaps adding in extra stuff is acceptable if its related?

Good point. I forgot to mention this in my guide and I will add it. Yes, only report ONE BUG per ONE REPORT. That note I did add wasn't necessary related but it was open to discussion. Since the quest item should on appear in the quest tab of the backpack. Where as it is appearing in the general tab.

How should we handle things that are very obviously broken? *example* Class mechanics don't work, and because of that every class has many spells that either work when they shouldn't, or are just flat out broken. It feels like until the class mechanics are fixed all that extra stuff just doesn't matter. Another example would be public quests don't really work. Reporting all of them seems a bit silly at this point (or maybe its not silly).

I feel any of these "Obvious bugs" should not be raised. As they are tied to a serious bug (mechanics). Once class mechanics are functioning. If the abilities still don't work correctly, then it should be raised.

I am aware on PQs not working. The manner of their "broken behaviour" is something that should be raised. If there is not already a bug raised on these. They should be added to the repository.

Thanks for the guide, I appreciate it a lot. And I realize my questions might be a bit silly or might be too specific that they don't really matter, but hey it cant hurt to ask questions right? :)

No problem. They're good points that should hopefully will elaborate further along with the guide for others to read. I had updated the OP about one bug per one report.

ropuch

Post#5 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:08 pm

Hi,

While trying to fix CraftValueTip addon, I've discovered some nice function built into it. While hoovering over item and invoking "/craftvaluetip digest" command, one can get some item info like:
[84059]Whispering Pyre Ivy Seed lvl0/0 craftingBonus{5=3,9=125,14=4,13=18,}

Although it was made for crafting items, it still returns uniqueID (value in [] brackets) for any item.
I don't know how RoR DB looks like, but this uniqueID seems like a PrimaryKey and I assume that PK is quite useful while identifying/fixing DB bugs.

I'm wondering if some simple "debug addon" returning PK of a target (and whatever other info devs may find useful for bug addressing) would be helpful (with it's output as requirement for bug report). I'm not really a coder, but I guess I could try to write something like that.

PS. TidyChat makes copying debug info from chat really easy.

Cheers!
ropuch
A Pounce Too Far: http://imgur.com/KeSt8WL

Luth

Post#6 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:11 pm

Azarael wrote:Anyone who asks for a Griffon or Manticore mount will not receive one, regardless of whether the report would otherwise be eligible.

These mounts are given only for serious issues, which are not obvious, and which significantly threaten either the security and stability of the server or its economy. Please don't waste GM time by creatively spinning minor reports into something that they're not.
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=10366#p118993