Recent Topics

Ads

Malwarebytes detected War-64.exe as Ransomware

Ask for in-game support. Bugs go to the Bug Tracker.
Forum rules
READ THE STICKIED THREADS BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS SUBFORUM.

The answers you may seek are likely already there.

Thank you.
Deathbroker

Malwarebytes detected War-64.exe as Ransomware

Post#1 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:56 am

Kaelang asked me to post this here. On the second smaller update that happened about 40 minutes ago or so my anti-malware software Malwarebytes detected War-64.exe as generic potential ransomware and quarantined the file. No real specifics given other than the program saying that it had characteristics of Ransomware. I just wanted to give you a heads up as other players who use Malwarebytes might be worried about this or/and don't know how to un-quarantine a file.

Ads
Hasil

Re: Malwarebytes detected War-64.exe as Ransomware

Post#2 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:36 pm

Same issue with Norton AV right now, see my separate post. I'm hoping they can update it and fix it soon :)

zak68

Post#3 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:42 pm

put ror folder on ignore ist

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#4 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:52 pm

Pulled right from the install guide...

Notes about Antivirus programs, Firewalls, Hardware Routers, and other security programs

Some of these can be more aggressive than others, and in particular the RORLauncher has been flagged in the past. Partially because this is not a well known application in the wild, and partially because of how it works.
The Launcher manipulates objects in memory to make the game work with our server.
Some aggressive antiviruses automatically deem this to be virus-like behavior.
They check with their database of approved applications when they see this, and if they don't find our application in there, it gets a Generic flag and is sometimes blocked or damaged.

Because of this, we have to recommend that when you download with the Torrent, that you have your security disabled, and then whitelist the folder before turning it all back on.

We have repeatedly reached out to many AV companies and databases, all of which who responded accepted it as clean, and many others simply never responded leaving it with that Generic tag.

As you can see here VirusTotal which is a very common database, is showing the launcher as clean in the vast majority of AV's. However, old definitions even from a company that doesn't have us flagged, can still cause problems.

TL;DR - The RORLauncher is safe. The torrent is safe. Please disable your AV BEFORE downloading, and whitelist the folder BEFORE turning it back on to prevent any potential issues.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

Deathbroker

Post#5 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:57 pm

Well that's obviously something that I didn't do back when I installed the game months ago. Typical lazy user not reading the install guide fully. My bad.