Recent Topics

Ads

Chaos Roleplay! Does it happen?

Feel like burning like a bright wizard? Being as green as a gobbo? Robust like an Ironbreaker? Bloodthirsty like a witch elf? Feel free to speak as them here.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
maroontom

Re: Chaos Roleplay! Does it happen?

Post#31 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:08 pm

I will do that now. Hold on.

(Five - Fifteen Minutes Later):

The Map:
Spoiler:
Some Screens:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Main Character:
Celekagar Rubendorff - WH - 40/70+ - Former Stirland Militia First Captain,

Ads
Str2

Post#32 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:34 am

Hi,

Thank you for those screen.
For me, the bridge is an highway IG.
I don't think we can make photos and tall a little without having trouble with other characters orders or chaos.
But it is ok to try lol.
I see you practice the fashion dress code !

I will try to be on time.
9pm is easier for me.
Then as first role play tier I can bet you to find out the world relic which allows the chaos to move over the order in the next 1000 years, ha ha ha ha .

I thank you again, see you tonight.
I hope we can be around 100 characters :D :D :D
++ IG

maroontom

Post#33 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:39 pm

About 20 minutes now.
Main Character:
Celekagar Rubendorff - WH - 40/70+ - Former Stirland Militia First Captain,

Str2

Post#34 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:02 pm

In

Str2

Post#35 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:10 pm

Hi brothers !

I thank you to the group that meet tonight at the place Celekagar Rubendorff has chosen for tonight.
It is true we get some starting point of the Role Play project between Chaos and Order.
Here is a quick video we did yesterday evening to promote the project.
Feel free to join a tell about your ideas and how you see the Role Play.
Join the project for more fun at RoR

Select HD for viewing

Click here to watch on YouTube

++ IG

Glorian

Post#36 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:58 am

Keep up the good work. I'm really interested in your ideas. And please take videos from it.

Str2

Post#37 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:37 pm

@Glorian

I have seen few of your video, which are pretty good with massible dwarf army :)
May I ask you what kind of software you use to record and publish videos, please ?
For me, I use "Free Screen Video Recorder" and "Movie Maker".

++ IG

Tykros

Post#38 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:40 am

Did some thinking over the weekend and started brainstorming for something storyline based for 2 parties of 6 players.
I see it as an experiment (that's why I want to start with only 2X6) in the first place with probably a lot of trial and error along the road. But, we will never know all possibilities until we actually tried them.
Also, for creating an interactive story, there is the challenge of making them both stories on themselves, but also to make them interfere with each other, so both parties have characterbased reasons to fight that other specific group.

The basic idea is 2 parties, 1 Chaos and 1 Empire. All new characters (If they aren't the same level they can't fight each other...) that we put in a small guild for those 6 characters only. We create some sort of group background for each party as "How did they come to Nordland/Norsca and why are they together?".
They start simply as a bunch of lowlives going to war and they follow the Age of Reckoning questline as a guide, as a red line to follow. (Read the backgroundstories of the quest etc etc. It will help giving more feel to the world which helps for keeping a rpg mindset.)
- In Tier 1 both groups will be approached by a character asking them to do something in return for something-something else. Basically, a not computer/server-controlled "questgiver" that put's you on your path further. See it as some sort of "sub-plot" compared to the main programmed storyline.
This will also be the level for the most trial-and-errors. We should assume that we will encounter a lot of problems to be solved in those early interactions. Stuff for discussions that eventually will lead the players involved into making "houserules" among, and for themselves.
In the first place I would look for establishing a good internal based for each group. Running PQ's together is a good way to start this for example. Somewhere late T1 (R12+) I would let the 2 groups "meet" and inetract with each other for the first time. Interaction between opposite parties will increase in Mid-Tier.
- In Tier 2-3 way more action can be done I think. Especially now T2 and T3 are considered the Mid-Tier there are more possibilities than before. Together they have 4 maps to play on (considering we play only emp/cha to start with) and most of the time there aren't a lot of other players around. Flag for RVR in PVE-zone (so my npc dark elf raiding party can raid both parties for example) and you suddenly you have a very, very large playground.
- Tier 4 is way to far from now to make plans for atm. We'll cross that bridge when we get there.
- a word on NPC's: Again, this is an experiment, not an ultimate final finished plan or something. If this idea would/could grow there would be also Greenskin parties and Elf parties etc running around. Within that bigger picture there would be way less need for npc's because there is a greater resource of players to "use" against each other for increasing interaction. (Why shouldn't a greenskin clan go bash some dark elves after Gork/Mork told them on the yearly mushroom festival?) This may be one of the rare occasions where scaling up can actually be beneficial.

For this rpg-experiment I would need at least 12 (dedicated) players and preferably some extra people to jump on board for both organizing and npc's.

Also, if miraculously we would find the human resources needed to launch, it will take some time, both to set up and to run. I also found out that for creating this I'm using quite some LARP-ways-of-thinking (because of the numbers of players, spawningtime vs time to send people into the field, environmental issues and/or buildings you can't change and need to work around, terrain scouting for places that are ideal for creating scenes, npc's (irl) that play more than 1 char but both are needed at the same time but somewhere else kind-off situation, etc etc). Ones you start thinking about it, you realize something like this takes quite some effort to achieve (if we aim high, which I think we should).

How do we bring people to roleplay? By bringing something new, something that has never been tried or done before. If we want to make roleplay more attractive and more fun so more people would join, we can't stay with the way we look at rpg and "how it is done today". If that would be a success-formula we wouldn't been having this discussion at the moment.
I'm willing to go into another direction and try something else. It will take some time and effort and adaptation, as is with all beginnings or changes. I believe that if we use some mechanics from other game genres, adapting them for an MMO-platform, we can create a better roleplay experience.

The bigger picture/idea is still growing on me but feedback, other ideas and/or comments are always welcome. People who are willing to spend some of their time for this experiment, being as a player or helping writing/organizing/npc-ing/etc for this are even more welcome off-course.
I'll be checking this topic on a daily basis again this week, or alternatively, people can ad me on Steam where I use the same nickname (probably playing, or better, learning to play, EU4).
Cheers!

Ads
Glorian

Post#39 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:14 pm

Str2 wrote:@Glorian

I have seen few of your video, which are pretty good with massible dwarf army :)
May I ask you what kind of software you use to record and publish videos, please ?
For me, I use "Free Screen Video Recorder" and "Movie Maker".

++ IG
I also use moviemaker.

For recording I use the NVIDIA Software you get when you use an NVIDIA grafics card.

Mystriss

Post#40 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:58 pm

@Tykros I love plotting so I'd be happy to help. Though I think I do well at tying individual RPers back stories to each other through a third party, more so than inventing plots for groups per say.

I will caution that every time I've tried a "leveling group" as you are suggesting it has failed after maybe 10 levels. Folks have RL timing issues making it nigh impossible to get the whole group together for "scheduled" leveling, if they play such a group as their main they get bored of the slow pace of leveling, and they also get bored of not having as much say in the direction of the RP story as a whole. The longest lasting I've personally experienced lasted roughly 2 months and died out around level 20 (half way to max,) though truthfully I'd called in a couple of my heavy RP buddies just so we could man a dungeon, so it died much sooner than 2 months...

Not saying it can't be done, nor even that I'd not do it again (it was very fun,) just that one must have the dedication of the players to pull it off, and to be completely honest here, I do not think your chances of finding many such players in a PvP centric game such as RoR, are as high as they were on the dedicated RP divisions attempting to do so in other games. (Though I don't play anymore, I was/am a moderator on the Council of Seven, heavy RP division of Tera.)

On another note, one of the best things I did for RP in Tera, aside from dragging fellow RPer's characters into my web of cross plotting, was journals of my in game RP. It started out innocent enough; people were actively involved with my plots, and also the tangle of other players individual/separate plots snarled within it, but they couldn't be there for everything I was RPing obviously. My partners were constantly barraging me with PM's asking what the latest development in the larger plot was or wanting details on this or that interaction with so-in-so. After idk 2 years of entanglement I ended up started a public log of my RP's on the forums because I was spending more time answering PMs about my RP, than I had to actually RP heh This ended up drawing folks into contacting me, dragging more players into my overarching plots, and spreading branched connections through my IC that connected other players together, etc. Others also started doing the same and in the end, there's thousands of interconnected and semi-interconnected RP postings from the various players at the time; so even if folks couldn't actually be there (the casual RPers and working RPers,) they still got the drama of the... well basically fantasy soap opera heh.

On a third note, perhaps related to the first though externally, setting up guild plot lines and intersecting them with other guilds plot lines is also grand fun, however, again, and because RoR is a PvP centric game, I think there would be issues with... retention of players and focus. The GM has to handle most of the "lifting" of the plots really needs to be prepared for what they're getting into. That said a GM and even just one steady partner can run deep plot lines using "fill ins" of whomever happens to be on fairly easily. That is the path I took in Tera, though I had no guild to draw players from, I drew my players from the entire server; that is to say every guild. This freed up my partners to be in PvE or PvP guilds and chase their game play character development (ie leveling) but still engage in heavy RPs (which is all I did in Tera as I got bored of the actual game very quickly.) Through this "network" I joined a few guilds and snarled them into other guilds, etc. In Tera I played a political ambassador, a very evil diplomat who wanted to destroy the political peace, but an ambassador of high regard none the less. That gave me easy access to all the guilds, and also left me personally with my darker private plot of bringing the High Elves back into power and subjugating the lesser races.

Anyway, I might suggest considering a similar political draw to your over arcing story line. RoR doesn't have quite the mesh of political morass that Tera did, however the basic lore foundation certainly exists. Mystriss might be an example of the general concept, she's actually a pleasure cult (aka Slaanesh/Chaos) Druchii forced to be an Asur - and re-discovering her true heritage, takes advantage of the... opportunities laid out before her (by Khaine of course.) If she wasn't so bloody insane she could probably make a serious mess of things on the political scene (ala Malekith sending over elves dressed as Asur to attack the Dwarves.) If one were to expand such an idea; making up political factions made up of our RPers (or your guilds,) I suspect there could be some down right entertaining cross guild and cross faction drama. (Though I do tend to delight in political games which may not be for everyone.)

Random plotz thoughtz tack on: NPC is a vampire chide trying to reassemble their master. A daemon sending fools out to fetch items for a vile cantrip. A Druchii seeking to weaken Order's alliance. An Asur seeking to ostracize dwarves. Dwarves needing special things to craft fancy armor/weapons/ale - or perhaps running an illicit shop to secretly sell them. A greenskin wants to kill his Druchii commander to get dat big stick and attempts to trick [order] into assassinating them. There's a gem rumored to belong to so-n-so and whomever brings it back gets x-shiny. Or the longer winded ala holy grail like plot. Wider arc; unaffiliated assassins and mercenaries hired by NPC and forced to work together despite massive culture clash - faux dungeon via GM lead a la D&D with rolls for outcome, plot continues and crosses with another party attempting to steal said item from them (much to the amusement of NPC.) ~wanders off muttering about stealing horses~