Recent Topics

Ads

Otto von Fritz - Introduction & First Impressions

Feel like burning like a bright wizard? Being as green as a gobbo? Robust like an Ironbreaker? Bloodthirsty like a witch elf? Feel free to speak as them here.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
OttovonFritz

Otto von Fritz - Introduction & First Impressions

Post#1 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:36 am

Glory to Sigmar and the Emperor!

Warrior-Priest Otto von Fritz, at your service!

Forward

I want to say welcome to the RoR community. I would like to, in the following thread, introduce myself and make some inquiries. I realize some of what I may be asking is controversial, but it is asked out of genuine curiosity and concern for my legal well-being.

Legal Inquery

This is, admittedly, my first time on a Private Server, of any kind, in my career of gaming.
The reason I feel justified in this, is because there is no longer a retail alternative. It seems to me that the future of WAR is here, and that the players have a right to continue their investments on their own.

That being said, I also realize my sentiments and feelings of conscience, do not correspond with what is legal. We do not live in a perfect world where everything that is moral, is neccesarily lawful.

So I would like to ask those who have been here for a while: Is RoR legal to play? I've been given very vague answers, usually generalities suggesting that RoR is a Grey zone server. Being that this is my personal investment and that I could be at legal, personal risk - I would like source credibility. If RoR is indeed, Legal, would anyone be able to provide any reference to the Laws that would permit this? As I understand it, there is some sort of a law with EA's coding and the contract between EA and Mythic which makes running this Private Server legal so long as there is no monetary gain from it. However, I have also been told by reliable sources outside of the community, that the license is still in the hands of Games Workshop; which means that the server could be illegal. Please understand I am not making an argument or accusations either way. I love Warhammer, and I've loved the RoR so far. However, I am a law abiding citizen first, and I would prefer not to risk being charged with accessory to piracy. (Hopefully) this is understandable by any human being of genuine regard for conscience and the well being of others. This being my inquery, I would be happy for any input on the matter!

Background

There is no way to sugarcoat or beat around the bush on this subject: I am a prodigy nerd by birth. I was born the son of a man who collected Marvel and DC comic books in the 1950's, started Magic: The Gathering during Alpha, and played Dungeons & Dragons from its very first release. I am the heir to what has been one of the "Nerd Prophets" of the 1970's and 1980's. The craving for fantasy and science fiction runs through my very veins. To not have an interest in these things, would be heresy!

That being said, I am also currently twenty-one years of age.

While my family was very deeply invested into the table-top RPG genre; games which span from Dungeons & Dragons, to Hackmaster, to Warhammer, and even to Mutants & Masterminds; my generational duty to secure the new frontier started in childhood, during the early 1990's.

This was a time of the Wild West days of the internet! Though I was a young'un, I did catch the glory of single player games like, "Freedom Force," and online MMO's such as "Everquest" and "City of Heroes".

By the time I was a preteen, I was deeply interested in exploring the Forgotten Realms of the D&D Universe as presented in Neverwinter Nights; where my first MMO RP experiences took shape on the server of Aerileth.

However, soon I became attracted to the king of the market. That's right. World of Warcraft. I began playing in 2007 and continue to do so to this very day. I was a beginning roleplayer on the RP-PvP server Lightninghoof and the RP Server Argent Dawn, but joined Wyrmrest Accord - US as soon as it opened and have proudly been considered by many, a large influence in the progression of it's Knights of the Silver Hand roleplaying factions.

About Myself

Around five years ago, I began to adventure into the lore of Warhammer: 40k. To say that I was enthralled, was an understatement. During my first three years as an undergraduate in college, I made best friends with a room mate who was also obsessed with all things Warhammer. Over the course of those years, we took to Warhammer: Dark Heresy, bringing Games Workshop's D10 action alive on the table, many an hour into the late night with fellow college friends.

Those friends come and go different places however, and as much as we enjoy the table-top format, it simply is not convenient for us anymore, as we can no longer meet as frequently. Thus I have gone looking to the stars, and to the Old World for a chance to help develop a D10 RP environment much akin to how the Warhammer RPG games have played. With the new content, and an access to my father's old library, I have a wealth of resources such as the "Warhammer RPG: Middenheim: City of the Wolf," to assist me in offering what I can to this community. As well as nearly 10 years of experience in the World of Warcraft RP community, 2 years in Neverwinter Nights, and some 15 years all together with table-top RPG.

Where to Begin?

That's enough about me. I'm sure no one cares to hear my whole life story. Aber! If I can be provided with information of legal standards which can convince me that the server is perfectly legal, I would be happy to contribute to the best of my ability.

Now admittedly, I am much more acquainted with the lore of 40k then I am with Fantasy. A task which is being mended with the aid of the Gotrek and Felix series, as well as reading the old Warhammer RPG books. However, I would be completely honored to learn as much as I can about Warrior Priests of Sigmar. I've read all I can on Wiki's and the like, but I'd rather have a hands-on experience with the professionals!

Secondly, I would be happy to contribute to any Order based Roleplaying guilds that would make a good home for a Sigmarite Warrior Priest. I'd prefer something less mercenary or "Landsknechtlich" so much as something directly related to the military of the Empire, as sanctioned by the State. Less militia, more Legion. Although, I will be happy with whatever I can get!

Lastly I want to say I am very excited for what RoR has to offer! I know you've probably read hundreds of posts just like this one, but you should know when it comes to Roleplaying: When I say I intend to see it started, I don't rest until those words have been committed into action. You can ask anyone who knows me Warcraft side.

Thanks for your time, and I would appreciate any advice or query!

Yours in the Emperor's vigil,
(And for you heretics reading this, salutations as well! I will burn you some other time.)
(And to those Greenskins, um. WAAAAAAAAAAGH.)

Otto von Fritz

Ads
Orcpacolypse

Re: Otto von Fritz - Introduction & First Impressions

Post#2 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:19 am

OttovonFritz wrote:
Legal Inquery

This is, admittedly, my first time on a Private Server, of any kind, in my career of gaming.
The reason I feel justified in this, is because there is no longer a retail alternative. It seems to me that the future of WAR is here, and that the players have a right to continue their investments on their own.

That being said, I also realize my sentiments and feelings of conscience, do not correspond with what is legal. We do not live in a perfect world where everything that is moral, is neccesarily lawful.

So I would like to ask those who have been here for a while: Is RoR legal to play? I've been given very vague answers, usually generalities suggesting that RoR is a Grey zone server. Being that this is my personal investment and that I could be at legal, personal risk - I would like source credibility. If RoR is indeed, Legal, would anyone be able to provide any reference to the Laws that would permit this? As I understand it, there is some sort of a law with EA's coding and the contract between EA and Mythic which makes running this Private Server legal so long as there is no monetary gain from it. However, I have also been told by reliable sources outside of the community, that the license is still in the hands of Games Workshop; which means that the server could be illegal. Please understand I am not making an argument or accusations either way. I love Warhammer, and I've loved the RoR so far. However, I am a law abiding citizen first, and I would prefer not to risk being charged with accessory to piracy. (Hopefully) this is understandable by any human being of genuine regard for conscience and the well being of others. This being my inquery, I would be happy for any input on the matter!
Don't really understand why you would be conflicted to be honest. It's not like you're commiting treason or something, just play the game man ffs...

Smithbeard

Post#3 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:56 pm

Welcome, but don't expect too much; the RP community here is very small and you probably won't be able to do anything like the kind of RP you're used to. There are a few good, active RP guilds but by and large your experience on RoR will be OOC.

Also yeah I mirror what the guy said above; the legality of private servers is as much as a non-issue as the legality of pirating music or video games. No one gives a **** - the government or otherwise - whether you do that stuff these days.

OttovonFritz

Post#4 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:37 am

I appreciate the feedback so far, though I am afraid no one has answered my question. I asked if the server was legal; not what people's convictions were over whether or not it is moral to play on Private servers. It's either legal or it isn't.

TenTonHammer

Post#5 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:50 am

What some have said before, all private server are in the "grey area" of legality now we the players here wont be punished and at worst we will get a cease and desist to shut down but it look like thats not gonna happen, RoR's existence is by no means a secret, GW knows about us, weve all posted about rors exixtence on multiple war related youtube videos and reddit/warhammer; weve even had a former dev of the game stop by to tell us how glad he is that we kept the game going and as long as the devs of this project profit in no way, i dont think we have to worry about anything. Now if you feel that being gray and not completely legal is not good enough and choose not to play, well that your decision.

Now as far as lore is concerned i feel that fantasy is grimdark done right compared to 40K.

Chaos are not a bunch of winers with daddy isues led by an armless failure but rather baddass vikings, the empire are not led by incompetents like the high lords of terra and callously dispose of human lives, the high elves unlike eldar are not as racist even if they still look down on everyone and atleast dwarfs never got written out like squats

OttovonFritz

Post#6 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:22 am

Thank you, very much! This is exactly the type of input I was looking for and this has influenced my decision to remain in the game!

I really am appreciative of the time you took in response, and quite frankly, I am now hooked!

Looking forward to further participation!

Sincerely,

Otto von Fritz

VladtheInhaler

Post#7 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:29 pm

Otto, I may know a man who might have some interest in your roleplaying endeavors.

We'll be in touch.