Recent Topics

Ads

[HOW TO] Downloading addons from Curse

Here you can post addons, or anything related to addons.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
wdesu

[HOW TO] Downloading addons from Curse

Post#1 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:16 pm

I've heard many times on the forum that you still can download addons and addon packs from Curse, so i checked out Curse site, found a client and couldn't find a way to do what i wanted with it. The obvious secret is, you need an old client (v5) for it. While it still works.

1. Download and install old (v5) curse client
The link to the old client is in one of the comments here: https://mods.curse.com/news/curse/2121- ... lion-users
The link itself: http://clientupdate-v5.curse.com/

2. Find Curse link for addon you want
After installing, you can click "Install via Curse client" button on the curse site, the client will start a download.
The problem is, the button is present only on addon packs pages (example: https://mods.curse.com/addon-packs/war/ ... g-you-5840) and all the addon pages are 404. But there's a way to download addons individually or those not included in packs too:

Use a link like curse://mods.curse.com/addons/war/addonname/download-client where addonname is the name of addon's curse page (paste link into your browser address bar and press enter, curse client should catch it and start a download).

For example, quicktacticswitch - the addon i was looking for so long. Here it is (with page name "qts"):
curse://mods.curse.com/addons/war/qts/download-client

Notes
I noticed that curse client downloads a 13mb addon database but still doesn't show any addons you don't have (and it doesn't even show all addons you have). Would be really cool if someone could find a way to either display them, or get a list of addon pages from it.
The download location for database zip is one of the subfolders in ...\user\AppData\Local\Temp\Curse\, but i had no luck opening it (btw client tries to delete all zips it downloaded after extracting, so you'd have to work around that too. Or find the extracted thing somewhere).

tl;dr
1. download curse client http://clientupdate-v5.curse.com/
2. install it, log in, set up warhammer folder
3. use curse://mods.curse.com/addons/war/addonname/download-client (where addonname is the curse page name of addon) or "Install via Curse client" buttons to download addons

Edit: note that many addons are outdated and some addons have newer fixed versions posted, so i recommend using this to download addons you just can't find anywhere else.
Edit2: forgot "/download-client" at the end of links
Edit3: changed the formatting a little
Last edited by wdesu on Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Ads
shaggyboomboom

Re: How to - Curse addon downloading

Post#2 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:10 pm

Can the addon packs be downloaded, seems i cant download this one:
https://mods.curse.com/addon-packs/war/ ... pack-10517

EDIT: cant seem to be able to download anything at all

wdesu

Re: How to - Curse addon downloading

Post#3 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:33 pm

Yes, I have no problem downloading this pack.
The curse client must be configured correctly (log in, set warhammer folder, set addon preference to alpha just in case). It will likely recognize some mods you already have installed (HealAll, KillTracker, JunkDump and some other addons were detected in my case - it found 10 addons in total though i have much more installed, i don't remember more popular ones it detected, sorry).
Spoiler:

Dresden
Banned

Re: [HOW TO] Downloading addons from Curse

Post#4 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:33 pm

Re: Addons - Page 13
Luth wrote:
xyeppp wrote:I found a way to get addons off of curse website still - go into packs and download the whole pack via Curse client. It starts downloading them all, even though you cannot access them on the website anymore. Then, it recognizes every addon you have downloaded and can update them accordingly as well.

Currently looking for TurretRange in the packs :-)

Edit;
Haven't found TurretRange in the packs, but I've downloaded every single pack that is there and managed to get 273 up-to-date addons on the Curse client. I'll try to upload them all later on.
I've downloaded every pack a while ago, but no turretrange addon :|

Maybe it's lost forever, as it was one of the later addons and just for two of the least played classes.
Last edited by Dresden on Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
. -= Cult Of Chaos =- GUILD -= Cult Leader =- . -= Kagaz Wrathson - The Decioblidevannihilator - Black Orc =- .
. -= Dresden RoR Info - 4 pins and counting! =- . #WAAAGH ^_^ #AllSilenceIsGolden @_Q

wdesu

Post#5 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:59 pm

Updated the post with correct curse links for addons. They didn't work at all before.

btw if turretrange wasnt already found and fixed, it would be pretty easy to find now: curse://mods.curse.com/addons/war/turretrange/download-client

Dresden
Banned

Post#6 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:19 pm

Congrats on getting a topic pin, i linked your topic in my All UI-Mod Addon Locations Collected topic.
. -= Cult Of Chaos =- GUILD -= Cult Leader =- . -= Kagaz Wrathson - The Decioblidevannihilator - Black Orc =- .
. -= Dresden RoR Info - 4 pins and counting! =- . #WAAAGH ^_^ #AllSilenceIsGolden @_Q

wdesu

Post#7 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:46 am

Doesn't seem to work anymore (2nd of April 2018).
- can't download client v5 from the site.
- can't launch the client (fails on the "Internet Connection" part).

I think there's no point in keeping this thread sticky.