Recent Topics

Ads

HD texture pack?

Here you can post addons, or anything related to addons.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Zaine6

Re: HD texture pack?

Post#11 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:47 am

Can we get more details on the testing of higher textures? With the new cards coming out this year and a large proportion of gamers moving to 4K resolutions, the textures are going to matter more then ever.

Let the gamers decide if their PC can handle the FPS hit of the higher textures but still enable them the option to do it.

Ads
Secrets
Former Staff

Post#12 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:58 am

Zaine6 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:47 am Can we get more details on the testing of higher textures? With the new cards coming out this year and a large proportion of gamers moving to 4K resolutions, the textures are going to matter more then ever.

Let the gamers decide if their PC can handle the FPS hit of the higher textures but still enable them the option to do it.
The download would be significantly bigger - we're already over budget with our patcher's bandwidth to the point where it negatively impacts other users downloading the game.
Also, the patcher hosting service isn't free. We don't take money in from players and it's illegal for us to do so. Any optional packs would require a large download that would have to integrate with the patcher.

Additionally, while it is possible to do this... it likely would not be worth the end result. The engine simply isn't equipped to handle the textures, regardless of if you're running an RTX card or not - DX9 is an older rendering engine, and we do not have any of the game's source code. The fixed function pipeline that DX9 uses is not appropriate for higher resolution textures, and even if it was, performance would be impacted as would the 32-bit addressing range that is already pushed to its limits. It wouldn't be a good experience.

I am not sure if there's much else you could do to improve graphics fidelity in the game. Hopefully Nvidia open sources their machine learning RTX cloud library so players can experimentally enable higher-res, upscaled textures with no changes to the games they play. Although it's unlikely that they will do it for DX11, let alone DX9. It's likely going to be a DX12-only feature (maybe Vulkan?) and would require a DX9 -> DX12 conversion tool to even get started. That in itself would be a hack, and then you'd have to hack on the RTX machine learning library on top of that - if it's ever open sourced by Nvidia, mind you.

pinksocking

Post#13 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:17 pm

would love HD textures (regardless of potential lag/size issues)

couldn't it be released as an optional download?

AhuraMazdaa

Post#14 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:32 am

Not sure what causes the high quality textures to not load in sometimes, I see things SUPER low res even in character creation screen and another time I launch the game and they all look higher res (not super high but much better than a blurry mess)

Quoeiza

Post#15 » Sun May 30, 2021 6:45 pm

Hey guys. Bit of a thread revival, I apologise. But this was one of the top threads in a google search, and developer interaction. So it seemed the best place to post this.

I stumbled across a youtube video recently about this revival project and as a big Warhammer fan I was interested. However, I was very disappointed with the graphical fidelity. I then learned that it's possible to unpack/repack the game files and the developers had considered tampering with it, but the results was a big loss of performance as the DX9 engine couldn't handle it.

Anywho, I do this kind of stuff as a living, and by no means an expert but still with all the modern tools we have available you could do incredible things to ancient art, without the loss in performance. So I thought I'd have a crack at restoring an old texture with AI and no small amount of tools. It isn't FROM this game (actually WWE Reckoning :D ) but the point should stand, as I haven't downloaded this client yet. Just wanted a proof of concept. And here they are attached below.

I essentially enlarged the image with artificial intelligence to add more detail into the face, to 6 times the original resolution. Then shrunk it back down again and heavily compressed it. The result is a far crisper texture, but the file size is 42% SMALLER.

Now as a quick draft, it's not perfect. But this took me 5 minutes to do. It would be incredibly easy to batch process all the textures of the game to dramatically increase fidelity. I'd love to hear from a developer to see if this is something they have tried, or are willing to give a shot. Thanks

Edit: Attachments aren't working. Guess as it's my first post. Here's some links instead.
Original (93kb png)
https://ibb.co/RSxjjW1
Enhanced (54kb png)
https://ibb.co/s5nkn61

saupreusse
Developer

Post#16 » Sun May 30, 2021 8:05 pm

Quoeiza wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 6:45 pm Hey guys. Bit of a thread revival, I apologise. But this was one of the top threads in a google search, and developer interaction. So it seemed the best place to post this.

I stumbled across a youtube video recently about this revival project and as a big Warhammer fan I was interested. However, I was very disappointed with the graphical fidelity. I then learned that it's possible to unpack/repack the game files and the developers had considered tampering with it, but the results was a big loss of performance as the DX9 engine couldn't handle it.

Anywho, I do this kind of stuff as a living, and by no means an expert but still with all the modern tools we have available you could do incredible things to ancient art, without the loss in performance. So I thought I'd have a crack at restoring an old texture with AI and no small amount of tools. It isn't FROM this game (actually WWE Reckoning :D ) but the point should stand, as I haven't downloaded this client yet. Just wanted a proof of concept. And here they are attached below.

I essentially enlarged the image with artificial intelligence to add more detail into the face, to 6 times the original resolution. Then shrunk it back down again and heavily compressed it. The result is a far crisper texture, but the file size is 42% SMALLER.

Now as a quick draft, it's not perfect. But this took me 5 minutes to do. It would be incredibly easy to batch process all the textures of the game to dramatically increase fidelity. I'd love to hear from a developer to see if this is something they have tried, or are willing to give a shot. Thanks

Edit: Attachments aren't working. Guess as it's my first post. Here's some links instead.
Original (93kb png)
https://ibb.co/RSxjjW1
Enhanced (54kb png)
https://ibb.co/s5nkn61
you should send a pm to wargrimnir either here or on discord :)

Quoeiza

Post#17 » Sun May 30, 2021 8:23 pm

saupreusse wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:05 pm you should send a pm to wargrimnir either here or on discord :)
After writing that post I found the discord and pinged all the developers. Wargrimnir was the first to respond, telling me not to ping all the developers. Haha, so aside from feeling a bit foolish, gotta wait and see.

Scarv

Post#18 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:26 am

Does this also works for ATI Radeon Cards?

I tried to make the same settings in my Ati Software for war64.exe
But i dont See any difference.

Saw an Video last night, someone explained how to improve on nvidia Cards and IT looks impressiv to me.

Wanted to Do the same on my ATI But doesent work :-(

Ads
areandar

Post#19 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:15 pm

what the devs could also do is cut the armor textures into pieces and then update em u can get to 8k this way, but this would takes yearrssss of work , but there is allways a way.