Recent Topics

Ads

RoR Addons: Version controlled addon repositories

Here you can post addons, or anything related to addons.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
txtsd

RoR Addons: Version controlled addon repositories

Post#1 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:15 pm

I've taken the liberty to upload all the addons hosted on Idrinth's Tools to RoR Addons on GitLab. This is a group of repositories, with one repo per addon.

So far each version that was available on Idrinth's Tools has been uploaded as a separate commit.
In the coming days, I'll be linting all the files, extracting libraries that are included in some addons so they can be their own addon, and bumping version numbers. I intend to have code linting and xml validation automated used GitLab CI. Eventually there will be One Repo to Link Them All™, and a webpage and documentation that goes along with it.

Since these are public repositories, anyone can inspect the contents, scrutinize/audit the code, file issues about bugs or annoyances, fork their own version, and submit Merge Requests to add functionality or fix bugs.

Example repo file contents: Warbuilder
Example repo commit history: Warbuilder - Commits If you click each commit you can see what changed between it and the previous version.

I'd like to hear thoughts from addon developers.

Ads
Dwarni

Re: RoR Addons: Version controlled addon repositories

Post#2 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:04 am

Hi,

aren't the actively developed addons not already managed somewhere else? There is also a java client to update and upload new versions (haven't checked that out yet)

txtsd

Post#3 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:54 pm

Dwarni wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:04 am Hi,

aren't the actively developed addons not already managed somewhere else? There is also a java client to update and upload new versions (haven't checked that out yet)
They aren't afaik. Whatever updates happen to addons in VinyUI are not tracked anywhere either.

The java client only checks for addons on Idrinth's Tools. It can easily be extended to track gitlab releases/tags once that's set up.

Dwarni

Post#4 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:05 am

I mean if I look on the idrinth's tools website some are actively developed so maybe they are managed somewhere else. If you just add another repository doesn't that just cause confusion?

kaloel

Post#5 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:27 pm

If he keeps them up to date there is no confusion whatsoever.
I'd prefer git, to a upload website. Git has changelogs, version comparison, a readme (optionally wiki), an easy way to merge changes, a way to approve changes and the possibility to reference libraries and update them. (I got some updates in my own git, just to easily keep track of smaller changes, in case there is a bigger update from someone else)
The only downside of git is that it's work for someone. If txtsd is willing to do the organization part its just better for everyone else.

txtsd

Post#6 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:46 pm

Dwarni wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:05 am I mean if I look on the idrinth's tools website some are actively developed so maybe they are managed somewhere else.
It's either him or someone else making changes and uploading it. There is no way to track changes since they're just zips.

kaloel wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:27 pm If he keeps them up to date there is no confusion whatsoever.
I'd prefer git, to a upload website. Git has changelogs, version comparison, a readme (optionally wiki), an easy way to merge changes, a way to approve changes and the possibility to reference libraries and update them. (I got some updates in my own git, just to easily keep track of smaller changes, in case there is a bigger update from someone else)
The only downside of git is that it's work for someone. If txtsd is willing to do the organization part its just better for everyone else.
That's the idea. I bring it up to par with current versions, once I find out how to deal with VinyUI's changes, and then ideally, addon developers will just submit Merge Requests and I can merge them and tag a release.

Satius

Post#7 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:36 pm

Hey!
Good idea.
But I see in your subprojects existed files .gitattribute and .gitignore. It's needed to be deleted.
And I'm not sure that splired directories for one moduled addon is right, like for Warboard.

txtsd

Post#8 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:43 pm

Satius wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:36 pm Hey!
Good idea.
But I see in your subprojects existed files .gitattribute and .gitignore. It's needed to be deleted.
And I'm not sure that splired directories for one moduled addon is right, like for Warboard.
Those dot files are there for a reason. .gitignore ignores zip files in the directory for when I download and unzip files. And the .gitattribute makes sure files with CRLF line endings are not converted to LF, since I use linux.
Are you saying you don't want addons like Warboard to be split into multiple addons? It /is/ my intention to split them with the idea that if their dependencies are listed correctly, they'll get pulled by an addon downloading client with no extra work needed from the user.

Ads
Satius

Post#9 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:01 pm

txtsd wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:43 pm
Satius wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:36 pm Hey!
Good idea.
Those dot files are there for a reason. .gitignore ignores zip files in the directory for when I download and unzip files. And the .gitattribute makes sure files with CRLF line endings are not converted to LF, since I use linux.
Are you saying you don't want addons like Warboard to be split into multiple addons? It /is/ my intention to split them with the idea that if their dependencies are listed correctly, they'll get pulled by an addon downloading client with no extra work needed from the user.
It's just my thought about WarBoard , as I would made. Your option is also appropriate.
About dot files, as I know you can use it from other directory and don't put into addons folder. And other reason - it doesn't needed in all folders, for ex. Queuequeuer - no .zip, no CRLF.

Dwarni

Post#10 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:02 pm

The problem is also almost nobody uses gitlab, but a lot of developers have a github account.

What was the reason for using gitlab? Because github is owned by MS?

But an alternative to the tools page would also be nice, the website seems "a little bit" outdated, also the java client...

But I see regular updates on that website, so some developers work on the addons and upload stuff, I mean either they only work locally and don't use a version control system, or they have a repository somewhere else.