Recent Topics

Ads

EXPERIMENTAL force dx 11.0

Here you can post addons, or anything related to addons.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Omegus

Re: EXPERIMENTAL force dx 11.0

Post#21 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:52 pm

I thought the point of the developer's DXCPL tool was to limit which DirectX versions were made available to a program to make it easier to test/debug? For example: if a game has 3 different rendering paths to support older hardware (example: DX9, DX10 and DX11) and it picked based on the highest version of DX available on the PC it was running on, then for testing purposes you can use DXCPL to lie and say the highest available version is DX10 (or DX9), so it doesn't try to use its DX11(or DX10) rendering path.

Telling a DX9 game like ROR that the highest installed DX version on the system is DX11 does nothing, as it doesn't have a code path to create and use DX11 interfaces so it just uses DX9 anyway.

DXCPL is not a tool to convert DX9 into DX11.
Zomega: RR8x Zealot

Ads
Fenris78

Post#22 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:59 am

Omegus wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:52 pm I thought the point of the developer's DXCPL tool was to limit which DirectX versions were made available to a program to make it easier to test/debug? For example: if a game has 3 different rendering paths to support older hardware (example: DX9, DX10 and DX11) and it picked based on the highest version of DX available on the PC it was running on, then for testing purposes you can use DXCPL to lie and say the highest available version is DX10 (or DX9), so it doesn't try to use its DX11(or DX10) rendering path.

Telling a DX9 game like ROR that the highest installed DX version on the system is DX11 does nothing, as it doesn't have a code path to create and use DX11 interfaces so it just uses DX9 anyway.

DXCPL is not a tool to convert DX9 into DX11.
DXCPL is litterally forcing the rendering API (direct 3D) to use the full range of libraries to render the game ; thus the GPU can now take advantage of newer rendering methods, even if the game itself only include directX 9 instructions.

In practice, and after extensive testing by me and half a dozens guildmates, we all agreed that the main goal is achieved by this method ; be able to play the game without those horrible and constant micro-stuttering (even by turning the camera around your character).

The game is now fluid and very playable, even at low framerates (5-10 fps), and not a powerpoint game anymore as soon you have 100+ people on screen.

Using this method instead of DXVK wont improve framerate by much and is indeed not as configurable, but :
1. It's working on win7-win10 without issues
2. it allows reShade to run without further manipulations or conflicting dlls,
3. and most of all the game is now very smooth to play, proving that this method is doing something, somewhere, to improve the gaming experience by a huge margin.

Omegus

Post#23 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:26 pm

Fenris78 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:59 amDXCPL is litterally forcing the rendering API (direct 3D) to use the full range of libraries to render the game ; thus the GPU can now take advantage of newer rendering methods, even if the game itself only include directX 9 instructions.

In practice, and after extensive testing by me and half a dozens guildmates, we all agreed that the main goal is achieved by this method ; be able to play the game without those horrible and constant micro-stuttering (even by turning the camera around your character).
I am not going to dispute whether or not messing about with the settings has improved performance, but the reasons why you think it has done so are wrong.

DXCPL is not a tool that converts the D3D9 interface into D3D10/11/12 interfaces. It is a dev tool that - among other things - limits the versions and features of DirectX available to applications for testing purposes. That is why the setting is named "feature level limit". Some applications are designed to work with multiple versions of DirectX, typically using a renderer written for DX9 for old GPUs and something like DX11 for new GPUs. Final Fantasy 14 is an example of this, and I thought I heard that Guild Wars 2 was finally getting a D3D11 renderer to go alongside its D3D9 renderer. Changing the "feature level limit" in DXCPL is a way of lying to the application about the highest version of D3D available to force it to either use a lower level or display an error to the user that the version of D3D it wants to use is not available. That's it.

WAR does not know about DX10 or 11 (or 12), and DXCPL does not act as a translation/bridge/converter between versions of DirectX. Settings you pick that related to D3D 10/11/12 mean nothing to WAR as it only uses D3D9.

As Secrets said, it honestly sounds like the random settings being chosen are tricking the game (or Windows) into thinking you're trying to run it on a potato GPU and it's turning off as much as possible to try and compensate. The end result is better performance (again I am not disputing this) and terrible visuals. It is still not running the game using D3D10/11/12, and if you're picking the "Force WARP" then there's a chance it's not even running fully on the GPU at all. I can't remember if D3D9 has a proper supported WARP mode or if it's just something Windows uses behind the scenes if the GPU is that terrible.

I am very happy for you if you got a huge performance boost, but please do not tell people that DXCPL is making the game using "the full range of libraries to render" and that the GPU can now use "newer rendering methods", when if anything it's making the game use less GPU features and simpler rendering methods to get a speed-up.
Zomega: RR8x Zealot

Phantasm

Post#24 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:44 pm

Ok, guys i gonna check this out tomorrow, what I got is Win10 64bit, Ryzen 5 5600X, 32GB RAM and RTX 3060 Ti, please point me to a guide which i can use to enable that thingy. Also running Reshade is a MUST for me, is it ok?

Phantasm

Post#25 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:18 am

Ok, so I ran dxcpl for a day and I must say it does a job. Game loads a lot faster, there is no initial lag on loading textures, no stuttering at all. Thats perfect solution for people that crash a lot, expecially in forts etc.

But... there is still stuttering after few hours of playtime, expecially if you change zones a lot, and even more if you playing a Squig (i`m not sure why but playing Squig makes stutters more frequent and more intense). Its definitely worth a try, especially for gamers with lower end PCs. Its very easy to install, no need to adjust anything.

Only downside of dxcpl for me is downgrade of image quality, I know, it is what make it work, but i`m estetic guy and I prefare better quality over performance.
These are few comparison shots I did to ilustrate what dxcpl does.

All images are with Reshade ON, left side image is without DXCPL, right side image is with DXCPL.

Notice the distant details, lighting effects and general gamma increase.

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#26 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:14 pm

Excellent comparisons, and man does that ruin graphical fidelity. No wonder it improves performance. I'll keep my stuttery bits, thanks.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

Fenris78

Post#27 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:07 pm

Phantasm wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:18 am Ok, so I ran dxcpl for a day and I must say it does a job. Game loads a lot faster, there is no initial lag on loading textures, no stuttering at all. Thats perfect solution for people that crash a lot, expecially in forts etc.

But... there is still stuttering after few hours of playtime, expecially if you change zones a lot, and even more if you playing a Squig (i`m not sure why but playing Squig makes stutters more frequent and more intense). Its definitely worth a try, especially for gamers with lower end PCs. Its very easy to install, no need to adjust anything.

Only downside of dxcpl for me is downgrade of image quality, I know, it is what make it work, but i`m estetic guy and I prefare better quality over performance.
These are few comparison shots I did to ilustrate what dxcpl does.

All images are with Reshade ON, left side image is without DXCPL, right side image is with DXCPL.

Notice the distant details, lighting effects and general gamma increase.
Set the DXCPL to DX 9.3 with WARP, no graphical deterioration at all, you still can set the shadows and lightmaps ON, and stuttering looks like gone as well.
No need to use dx 10-11-12 modes.